Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marcedes Lewis Signing With Packers

Marcedes Lewis Signing With Packers

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein

New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Tight end Marcedes Lewis says he's signing with Packers https://ift.tt/2ILNX4x #Packers
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

linebacker help, we need more linebackers

he was a decent player, but do we really need him?

Sounds like they've been in contact with him for a long time as they wanted a "top end" blocking tight end. Sounded as if they can play Graham as WR 3/4, and still have a TE in the package.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Ben Fennell @BenFennell_NFL
    Listen to #Eagles DC Jim Schwartz.. 13 (3TE) personnel is a nightmare for defenses. It is the answer to the ever-evolving subpackage NFL.
    Get 3 TEs who can block, catch, run. Look at the 2017 Eagles offense and how they manipulated defenses with the use of Ertz, Celek, Burton

James Light @JamesALight
    Jim Schwartz on why 13 & 22 Personnel groups are the toughest to defend

https://twitter.com/JamesALight/stat...90820183969792
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Two TE sets with Graham and Lewis could be a winning combination.

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Listen to #Eagles DC Jim Schwartz.. 13 (3TE) personnel is a nightmare for defenses. It is the answer to the ever-evolving subpackage NFL.
    Get 3 TEs who can block, catch, run. Look at the 2017 Eagles offense and how they manipulated defenses with the use of Ertz, Celek, Burton

James Light @JamesALight

I heard the suggestion in there of the general principle that Capers liked - the ability for your defense to play against a number of different formations without substitution. OK, so that's pretty much 'duh' but in practice it has to be pretty challenging. But given the number of offenses like the Packers that liked to run the 'hurry up' no sub offense, being 'multiple' with a base defense is essential. Oh, and nickel is base.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I heard the suggestion in there of the general principle that Capers liked - the ability for your defense to play against a number of different formations without substitution. OK, so that's pretty much 'duh' but in practice it has to be pretty challenging. But given the number of offenses like the Packers that liked to run the 'hurry up' no sub offense, being 'multiple' with a base defense is essential. Oh, and nickel is base.
    And I think that is why Schwartz is saying the challenge now is if the offense can run and pass from heavy personnel. Because they have moved to nickel and speedier personnel, the worrisome threat is a bigger offense that can pass.

And I think that is why Schwartz is saying the challenge now is if the offense can run and pass from heavy personnel. Because they have moved to nickel and speedier personnel, the worrisome threat is a bigger offense that can pass.
    thus all the tall receivers, no?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

thus all the tall receivers, no?
    I think you are right, but I am not certain that is the direction McCarthy/Philbin are moving.

I think they prefer height/speed if elite talent isn't available (Jennings, Cobb, Adams, once a generation find like Driver). But does it change the offense? This seems more personnel evaluation preferences.

The way spread offense torments a defense is to put your worst athletes into coverage (SS, ILB) or run routes that abuse a certain coverage. Tall WR isn't normally doing that by themselves unless you get a certain Smurf set at CB.

But they could zig while all others zag and run heavy and push around smaller defenses. Adams and someone might turn into Jordy and James.

That being said, the best thing the Packers D has going for it from last year is that the D line and Martinez can defend the run with 5 guys.

James Light @JamesALight

I agree which is why I like signing Bennett and Kendrick last year before Bennett became...well, himself.

Problem is that Graham can't block and Mercedes can no longer run. The key to his statement was "block, catch, run"

This is why MM is outdated and finished imo. First, he has always thought having a blocking TE was a good idea. Kevin Barry blocking as a TE was a good idea. A guy 70 pounds lighter than Barry that can't run a route anymore is...well...kevin barry light.

Now I said I can be onboard with Graham as our TE since MM can't figure out how to use a multi talented TE anyway, but now we sign a no catch blocking TE. Are we going to run like we did when Hundley was the QB or are we going to call 10 runs a game like we did against Carolina?

Wist like to talk about Capers being clueless with the 2-4, but honestly I think when it comes to TE play MM has no fucking clue whatsoever and this signing proves it. Teams will put 8 men in the box whenever Lewis is in the game, we will run into their teeth and MM will wonder how in the world they knew we wouldn't pass the ball.

Edit: He might get really creative and have Lewis pass block and send 3 WR into a route and wonder why no one got open.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein

New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Tight end Marcedes Lewis says he's signing with Packers https://ift.tt/2ILNX4x #Packers
    This move is a further attempt to ensure more protection for Aaron Rodgers.

It's another piece of the puzzel tat was missing and has been at least in it's efforts addressed.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I agree which is why I like signing Bennett and Kendrick last year before Bennett became...well, himself.

Problem is that Graham can't block and Mercedes can no longer run. The key to his statement was "block, catch, run"

This is why MM is outdated and finished imo. First, he has always thought having a blocking TE was a good idea. Kevin Barry blocking as a TE was a good idea. A guy 70 pounds lighter than Barry that can't run a route anymore is...well...kevin barry light.

Now I said I can be onboard with Graham as our TE since MM can't figure out how to use a multi talented TE anyway, but now we sign a no catch blocking TE. Are we going to run like we did when Hundley was the QB or are we going to call 10 runs a game like we did against Carolina?

Wist like to talk about Capers being clueless with the 2-4, but honestly I think when it comes to TE play MM has no fucking clue whatsoever and this signing proves it. Teams will put 8 men in the box whenever Lewis is in the game, we will run into their teeth and MM will wonder how in the world they knew we wouldn't pass the ball.

Edit: He might get really creative and have Lewis pass block and send 3 WR into a route and wonder why no one got open.
    I'm not sure why this rant about McCarthy not utilizing TEs well. When he had a guy like Graham (Finley and Cook), he utilized them well. It would be great to have three great, all around TEs. There aren't many teams that even have two decent ones. The Chargers with Gates and Henry may have been the closest. Philadelphia did fine with three players with a similar skill set as the Packers current group. Ertz and Graham being the flex TEs, Celek and Lewis being the blocking TEs, and Burton and Kendricks being the undersized flex/H-Back types.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'm not sure why this rant about McCarthy not utilizing TEs well. When he had a guy like Graham (Finley and Cook), he utilized them well. It would be great to have three great, all around TEs. There aren't many teams that even have two decent ones. The Chargers with Gates and Henry may have been the closest. Philadelphia did fine with three players with a similar skill set as the Packers current group. Ertz and Graham being the flex TEs, Celek and Lewis being the blocking TEs, and Burton and Kendricks being the undersized flex/H-Back types.
    Celek and Ertz both have good all around games. Both can "run, block, catch". Its true that they both lean a bit better in one area, but Graham is the worst blocking TE I have ever seen and Mercedes is no longer a threat to do anything other than block (and as I said, a T lined up at TE is the same).

The 2 examples of TE you mentioned MM used well were catch only, no blocking TEs. Finley was a try hard bad blocker at least. And again, that is why I said signing Graham was probably a good move for us (and trading an all pro center and a 1st was a horrible move for Seattle.)
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Graham is the worst blocking TE I have ever seen
    You made Colt Lyerla smile

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    You made Colt Lyerla smile
    Bobble has never seen Richard Rodgers block.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Bobble has never seen Richard Rodgers block.
    nor has anyone else

nor has anyone else
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

they may let the summer play out and see what's up, maybe even the preseason, they may want to sign another FA and need the space, but i bet kendricks is gone. his cap hit $2.25m. that's too much for a guy who won't play. his dead cap is $600k.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    nor has anyone else
    Y'all have never seen D-Rod block? I watched D-Rod block for 4 years. Throughout that time span, D-Rod flawlessly made Jimmy G look like Marty B, blocking-wise.

As a wise man once said, take away that bomb the Virgin Mary dropped right into his hands, and Richard Rodgers is more fruitless than an apple tree on the North Pole.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Y'all have never seen D-Rod block? I watched D-Rod block for 4 years. Throughout that time span, D-Rod flawlessly made Jimmy G look like Marty B, blocking-wise.

As a wise man once said, take away that bomb the Virgin Mary dropped right into his hands, and Richard Rodgers is more fruitless than an apple tree on the North Pole.
    Age and constant battling have taken its toll on Tank's humor sensors.