Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Packers Sign OT Byron Bell

Packers Sign OT Byron Bell

Bell started 74 games for Cowboys, Titans, and Panthers. He was a four year starter for Panthers. He'll compete for starting RT spot while Bulaga is out. He's 29 years old.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...-with-packers/
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Bell started 74 games for Cowboys, Titans, and Panthers. He was a four year starter for Panthers. He'll compete for starting RT spot while Bulaga is out. He's 29 years old.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...-with-packers/
    What do you think of this fella Harve?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

He's been a below average starter. Versatile and has a lot of experience though. Better at OG than OT. Inconsistent year to year. Provides a fallback for McCray or Murphy/Spriggs falling on their faces. I wouldn't be surprised if he were cut in camp or if he ended up starting at RG (over McCray) or RT (until Bulaga returns). Not all that excited, but at least the new GM is filling roster holes with some vets--which is what the paying customers have wanted.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    He's been a below average starter. Versatile and has a lot of experience though. Better at OG than OT. Inconsistent year to year. Provides a fallback for McCray or Murphy/Spriggs falling on their faces. I wouldn't be surprised if he were cut in camp or if he ended up starting at RG (over McCray) or RT (until Bulaga returns). Not all that excited, but at least the new GM is filling roster holes with some vets--which is what the paying customers have wanted.
    Yes Gut is trying.

I'm a concerned at the WR position. That may take another Season to get fixed.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Yes Gut is trying.

It will. GM drafted a bunch of WRs this year with the hope one or maybe two pan out. Plus there's the Yancey/Davis mess.

Meanwhile they have Adams, Cobb, Graham, and maybe Allison. Unless he falls flat on his face, J'Mon Moore overtakes Allison by end of season.

Some of the young WRs will stick on ST's. Sounds like they way the rules are going, it's better to have big fast guys vs. backup linemen there. Once they cut their teeth on ST's they can learn the offense and make the proverbial leap.

By that time Cobb's contract is done and they can figure out whether to re-sign (I'd offer 2y/8M), but they'll have WRs in the pipeline. They'll need to keep drafting WRs unless they hit the jackpot this year with their picks (history says unlikely)...and they'll need a TE too. Gotta give your QB weapons.

I think the Bell signing is low risk, medium reward. It gives them depth and options, at least until Bulaga comes back.

I do worry that this move was made because they didn't like what they saw from the young guys in OTAs.

I also think Jahri Evans isn't coming back.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post

I do worry that this move was made because they didn't like what they saw from the young guys in OTAs.
    Same. SPRIGGS™ may never be their RT.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

You can't make a starting determination during an OTA non-contact session.

You can do medical checks. This move means Bulaga is likely not going to be ready for the start of the season. It anticipates having a spot open while he sits on PUP.

He also refused a pay cut. Which might make his roster spot more tenuous if his prognosis is borderline.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    CHAMPIONSHIP!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You can't make a starting determination during an OTA non-contact session.
    Maybe Todd couldn't but Cheat can.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Fucking aye, a journeyman lineman. I can't keep up here. I couldn't name the current top three running backs on the Packers roster without looking it up.

I did learn the names of all the players in the NBA playoffs who get in the game. And I did recently learn that Grant Hill is the son of famous Cowboy Calvin Hill. So I can learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    And I did recently learn that Grant Hill is the son of famous Cowboy Calvin Hill.
    They are son and grandson of Ouvertha Hill

meh. a backup's backup most likely.

I think the Bell signing is low risk, medium reward. It gives them depth and options, at least until Bulaga comes back.

I also think Jahri Evans isn't coming back.
    I think it's just insurance with all their RT's coming off season ending injuries. If everybody is healthy come September, Bell will be hard-pressed to make the team.

Spriggs got the first snap with the No. 1 offense during the first open OTA practice last week, but he did so wearing a bulky brace on his left knee and usually came out after a snap or two of 11-on-11 work. Murphy still hasn’t been cleared for action but was at practice last week. It’s unclear when he’ll be able to get team snaps.
    http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...d74ff8261.html

Going to need a healthy body or two for minicamp as well.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Yes Gut is trying.

Maybe its just me, but most of the anxiety I felt about our receivers disappeared with the lewis signing. Now that Graham can go be a receiver, plus the new options in the mix at numbers 3-5 I can`t see us having less talent than last year. Plus Cobb will be fighting for his contract so he will be on maximum effort.

As to the bell signing, our OL needs healthy bodies. Hope he can be one

dp

Isn't this the guy who gave up 6 sacks to Adrian Clayborn of Atlanta, when Atlanta beat Dallas last year?
    "What's one more torpedo in a sinking ship?"
    Lynn Dickey, 1984

"Never apologize, mister. It's a sign of weakness."
    John Wayne, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"

Quote Originally Posted by K-town View Post
    Isn't this the guy who gave up 6 sacks to Adrian Clayborn of Atlanta, when Atlanta beat Dallas last year?
    chaz green allowed 5, bell one. they were playing LT at the time too.

It will. GM drafted a bunch of WRs this year with the hope one or maybe two pan out. Plus there's the Yancey/Davis mess.

Meanwhile they have Adams, Cobb, Graham, and maybe Allison. Unless he falls flat on his face, J'Mon Moore overtakes Allison by end of season.

Some of the young WRs will stick on ST's. Sounds like they way the rules are going, it's better to have big fast guys vs. backup linemen there. Once they cut their teeth on ST's they can learn the offense and make the proverbial leap.

By that time Cobb's contract is done and they can figure out whether to re-sign (I'd offer 2y/8M), but they'll have WRs in the pipeline. They'll need to keep drafting WRs unless they hit the jackpot this year with their picks (history says unlikely)...and they'll need a TE too. Gotta give your QB weapons.
    Yup.