Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Packers Offseason News, Non Draft, Non Big Ticket FA

Ah, the old Dom got caught canard.

Its always one thing. Funny how failure never has two or three fathers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Mike Pettine had 2 quotes in his January PC that I thought pointed to what happened to Capers (although I don't know that he was referring specifically to Capers):

"You used to go into a game with 50-60 calls. Now it's maybe 25 because you're dealing with younger players".

"If the other team knows what defense you're in pre-snap, you're in trouble".

really had the feeling last year that teams knew what was coming. My guess is that Capers was unable to simplify the defense for the younger players without becoming predictable.

WTF, does is everyone so reliant on spell check that they don't bother to proof read their tweets? That shit was mind numbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I did see that Alonzo Dotson has left for the Jets. Sounds like he moved up. Packers scouting department is now pretty young and has some holes to fill.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I did see that Alonzo Dotson has left for the Jets. Sounds like he moved up. Packers scouting department is now pretty young and has some holes to fill.
    Dotson must suck. Browns didn't want him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Mike Pettine had 2 quotes in his January PC that I thought pointed to what happened to Capers (although I don't know that he was referring specifically to Capers):

"You used to go into a game with 50-60 calls. Now it's maybe 25 because you're dealing with younger players".

really had the feeling last year that teams knew what was coming. My guess is that Capers was unable to simplify the defense for the younger players without becoming predictable.
    Agree. Also helps when you don't have a bunch of rookies and nobodies in the secondary. That said, you should be able to at least teach those guys a couple dozen calls over a week, including disguises. There seemed to be no mystery to what Dom was doing...actually, there seemed to be no logic either. The defense was on the field but not doing much defending.

The Hundley offense did them no favors either. There were games where the defense played well enough to win but the offense let them down. Lots of blame to go around: talent, experience, Dom, coaching, Hundley...

I think its been true of his blitzes for even longer.

Also think shortening the playbook and playing man across the board hurt the development of young talent he had more recently.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

That may be why they drafted who they did. The d backs drafted 1+2 are more ready to play than Randall and Rollins.l were.

That may be why they drafted who they did. The d backs drafted 1+2 are more ready to play than Randall and Rollins.l were.
    True, that.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...or-draft-picks

Cheese Curds, 5/11: Packers players earn college diplomas, no delays for draft picks

As two veteran Packers graduate this weekend, all of the team’s draft picks should be eligible to participate in OTAs when they begin in a few weeks.

By Evan "Tex" Western@TexWestern May 11, 2018, 8:15am CDT
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Agree. Also helps when you don't have a bunch of rookies and nobodies in the secondary. That said, you should be able to at least teach those guys a couple dozen calls over a week, including disguises. There seemed to be no mystery to what Dom was doing...actually, there seemed to be no logic either. The defense was on the field but not doing much defending.

The Hundley offense did them no favors either. There were games where the defense played well enough to win but the offense let them down. Lots of blame to go around: talent, experience, Dom, coaching, Hundley...
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    One concern I have about the defense is that the offense never threatened a bunch of teams. So there were more than a couple second halves with the opposing offense off the throttle. The good news is that the run D held up pretty well, but even that might be puffed up by the pourous secondary. Why run when you can pass with impunity?

cynthia frelund @cfrelund
    Curious... if a team can only have one: which is MORE important an elite pass rusher or a shut down corner? Why?

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN
    Easy/popular answer is pass rusher, BUT, you can have a top 10 defense where the secondary is more dominant than the front/pass rush. I know this pole is closed, but there are multiple ways to win in NFL. This is a very interesting question that all team builders think about...

Brian Burke @bburkeESPN
    I believe this may have a definitive answer. The offense owns the initiative in terms of where to throw. A shutdown CB can only limit the QB’s options and can be schemed out of the picture. A pass rusher impacts every pass and can’t easily be schemed around.

But I am pretty sure you can scheme around ONE dominant pass rusher. Sometimes takes two blockers though.

Vegas thinks the Packers might be better than 7-9 this year.

Football Perspective @fbgchase
    Vegas has released point spreads for 240 NFL games this year. This means we can generate the implied ratings Vegas has for each team. I did that for you. The Browns are still the worst team, just behind the Jets. The Pats and Steelers are the top two.

https://t.co/ZrlKOVbfk5

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    cynthia frelund @cfrelund
    Curious... if a team can only have one: which is MORE important an elite pass rusher or a shut down corner? Why?

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN
    Easy/popular answer is pass rusher, BUT, you can have a top 10 defense where the secondary is more dominant than the front/pass rush. I know this pole is closed, but there are multiple ways to win in NFL. This is a very interesting question that all team builders think about...

Brian Burke @bburkeESPN
    I believe this may have a definitive answer. The offense owns the initiative in terms of where to throw. A shutdown CB can only limit the QB’s options and can be schemed out of the picture. A pass rusher impacts every pass and can’t easily be schemed around.

But I am pretty sure you can scheme around ONE dominant pass rusher. Sometimes takes two blockers though.
    Interesting. I think back to the Seattle game a few years ago where they basically ignored Sherman's side of the field (Jordy had a very quiet day) and the Packers lost. I agree you can double/chip a pass rusher, so it's not like they can't be neutralized. I think it's a question of whether it's more advantageous for the opposing team to scheme/double the pass rusher (2 blockers) vs. having the defense shift its coverage to where your shutdown CB isn't (since they don't need as much support). Seems to me to be a question of optimizing resource allocation to win the battle (i.e., that snap).

What made the 2010 D so dangerous was that Woodson could play anywhere and was a playmaker, plus they got pass rush from Cullen Jenkins, Clay, and sometimes Raji. I don't know that they had any shutdown CB types, although Tramon was having a very good year.

One concern I have about the defense is that the offense never threatened a bunch of teams. So there were more than a couple second halves with the opposing offense off the throttle. The good news is that the run D held up pretty well, but even that might be puffed up by the pourous secondary. Why run when you can pass with impunity?
    It was too easy for opposing teams last year.

Hard to watch.

Vegas thinks the Packers might be better than 7-9 this year.

Football Perspective @fbgchase
    Vegas has released point spreads for 240 NFL games this year. This means we can generate the implied ratings Vegas has for each team. I did that for you. The Browns are still the worst team, just behind the Jets. The Pats and Steelers are the top two.

https://t.co/ZrlKOVbfk5

That looks like Playoff bound.

Gutey fighting back!

Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky
    The Packers are hiring scout Patrick Moore, who had been with the Browns, a source confirms. (First reported by @InsideTheLeague). GM Brian Gutekunst will likely announce his revamped scouting department soon.

Gutey fighting back!
    Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky
    The Packers are hiring scout Patrick Moore, who had been with the Browns, a source confirms. (First reported by @InsideTheLeague). GM Brian Gutekunst will likely announce his revamped scouting department soon.

I don't like the way this is going - this is turning into that bad episode of Star Trek where the crazy woman inhabits Kirk's body and vice versa.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I don't like the way this is going - this is turning into that bad episode of Star Trek where the crazy woman inhabits Kirk's body and vice versa.
    If Ted has grown a goatee, we are all in trouble.