Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Packers Offseason News, Non Draft, Non Big Ticket FA

Spotrac has Packers cap space at 5.9 million. It will be 21 million when the new league year starts if they sign no one between now abd then.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Spotrac has Packers cap space at 5.9 million. It will be 21 million when the new league year starts if they sign no one between now abd then.
    Doesn’t the first year of the signing bonus hit right away for both contracts?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Doesn’t the first year of the signing bonus hit right away for both contracts?
    Not for Adams. His signing bonus is prorated from 2018-2021.

5.9 million? That's all? Geez, Ted clearly left the team in miserable shape on his way out the door.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Don't like the 2018 number here as we haven't deducted for the inevitable: sign your own, draftees, UDFAs, etc.

I wanted to point out there is enough money left in most years to either sign a modest FA, or sign fewer FA and get a bigger name/contract.

Even $5.9 mil doesn't get that job done. You have to lose someone. Like trading up in the draft, gets you less bodies. The complaint was that last year there was too little experience in the Packers backups. They are either talking replacement level players rather than youth OR fewer signings.

The wishes of Packer fandom, this board and maybe BG during his press conference seem to be big ticket guys early. You will only get one of them and it will cost you mid level guys. Which means your depth with be young players OR literal bargain basement vets.

Packer writers wanted those rookies gone and vets signed so safeties aren't playing slot corner. I'd bet donuts they are all thinking about Terence Newman. But a good vet will be #3 and on the Packers he will be hurt. And those backups will be the less expensive variety (rooks or replacement level vets).
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    If I'm baby Groot, I approach Jordy and Cobb to ask for a contract restructure. I don't know the numbers on either contract so I'm spit balling here. If I can get them both to drop their cap figure then I probably cut Trevor and draft his replacement. Janis is an option to cut too, but I like his STs play more than Trevor's.

I also approach Aaron and tell him he can have however much money he wants on his upcoming contract. But I'd also remind him that I'm not Teddy Jr, and any amount less he takes will go to improve the team via FA. With an arrow in my quiver pointed at Jimmy Graham.

Aaron has talked about the similarities btwn he and Tom Brady in the past. Maybe he'd be willing to take less money like Tom did as well. Surely that's just day dreaming at its best. Haha
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Don't like the 2018 number here as we haven't deducted for the inevitable: sign your own, draftees, UDFAs, etc.

I wanted to point out there is enough money left in most years to either sign a modest FA, or sign fewer FA and get a bigger name/contract.

Even $5.9 mil doesn't get that job done. You have to lose someone. Like trading up in the draft, gets you less bodies. The complaint was that last year there was too little experience in the Packers backups. They are either talking replacement level players rather than youth OR fewer signings.

The wishes of Packer fandom, this board and maybe BG during his press conference seem to be big ticket guys early. You will only get one of them and it will cost you mid level guys. Which means your depth with be young players OR literal bargain basement vets.

Packer writers wanted those rookies gone and vets signed so safeties aren't playing slot corner. I'd bet donuts they are all thinking about Terence Newman. But a good vet will be #3 and on the Packers he will be hurt. And those backups will be the less expensive variety (rooks or replacement level vets).
    2018 CAP SPACE AVAILABLE $21,192,978 (TOP51)

Biggest dead money hit on cap is Bennett @ 4.2million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    2018 CAP SPACE AVAILABLE $21,192,978 (TOP51)

Biggest dead money hit on cap is Bennett @ 4.2million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/
    If they cut Nelson and Cobb, they then sit at a little or 40 million in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    If they cut Nelson and Cobb, they then sit at a little or 40 million in space.
    That is a lot of money for the production.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    That is a lot of money for the production.
    I get it, but these are AR guys. They understand where to be, where, and when.

I’d cut Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I’d cut Nelson
    Unless he's willing to take a substantial pay cut, I'm afraid I agree. Unless he had an unreported injury, he appears to have lost his speed. Nothing but a possession receiver at this point.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I'm not concerned with Jordy or Cobb's value for 2018. If you could see the world through Hundleyvision™ these men would appear as translucent shimmers. Like a Predator with cloaking device enabled. You need to reach a certain level to unlock some characters.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Packers are spending somewhere around 36 mil next year for Adams/Nelson/Cobb. That is way too much for what they're providing.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Packers are spending somewhere around 36 mil next year for Adams/Nelson/Cobb. That is way too much for what they're providing.
    I agree with this. Don't have any league-wide comparisons, but my gut tells me $20million for Cobb/Nelson's 2017 production was overpaying. I don't see their production increasing substantially next year.
    If I'm the GM I try to re-do their contracts. Nelson is on the wrong side of 30, and both have taken a beating. The image of Cobb getting caught from behind by Nick Kwiatkowski (Bears LB) lingers as well.

Cobb is 27 and would be in New England before Schefter Tweeted the news. He’ll have offers and won’t take a cut.

Nelson you could do with short extension. He has fewer options at his age and price.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Cobb is 27 and would be in New England before Schefter Tweeted the news. He’ll have offers and won’t take a cut.

Nelson you could do with short extension. He has fewer options at his age and price.
    Agreed. Cobb definitely looked like he had something left late in the season. Jordy looked like 2011-12 Driver.

Jake Ryan will make almost 2 million in 2018 due to Proven Performance Escalator. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...bonus-in-2018/

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Jake Ryan will make almost 2 million in 2018 due to Proven Performance Escalator. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...bonus-in-2018/
    What a joke! You have to play 35% of the defensive snaps 2 of your first 3 years. It doesn't mean you had any performance when a Packers ILB plays 1 out of 3 snaps, it just means we had nobody else.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    With the salary cap increasing as fast as it does we need recalibration all the time. Something around 8.5M/year is now the market value for a starting quality guy. Jordy and Cobb will have cap numbers near 12.5M.

They were a rip off last year but these guys don't work on commission. I'm skeptical we could get more bang for the buck in FA. A short extension could possibly make Jordy cheaper. Let Cobb be motivated by FA. Monty is now in a log jam at RB and will be playing more slot. An aging Jordy could would be elite in the slot.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.