Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Packers Offseason News, Non Draft, Non Big Ticket FA

Final cap number, current cap space (via Spotrac) and franchise and transition numbers.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...llion/aujptoq/

Packers in 26th place for cap space. So enjoy your one free agent signing!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Final cap number, current cap space (via Spotrac) and franchise and transition numbers.

well, theres over 30 million that could be easily freed up by dumping 3 guys who are greatly overpaid

i got a little bit of hope that with a-rod back that jordy can get back to being a decent #2 behind adams. cobb has not once come close to living up to his current contract, and clays career is damn near close to the end i think, not much left in that tank

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    well, theres over 30 million that could be easily freed up by dumping 3 guys who are greatly overpaid

i got a little bit of hope that with a-rod back that jordy can get back to being a decent #2 behind adams. cobb has not once come close to living up to his current contract, and clays career is damn near close to the end i think, not much left in that tank
    They aren't letting Cobb go and would only seek to redo the deal, if that. No chance at $30 million. Matthews, overpaid or not, is the best player on defense if Perry isn't healthy.

My bet is only one of those deals gets redone and none of them are leaving this year. They will be bottom third in space depending on how Rodgers contract gets done.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    They aren't letting Cobb go and would only seek to redo the deal, if that. No chance at $30 million. Matthews, overpaid or not, is the best player on defense if Perry isn't healthy.

My bet is only one of those deals gets redone and none of them are leaving this year. They will be bottom third in space depending on how Rodgers contract gets done.
    Well damn, u r depressing... I've been holding out hope we would start to see some big time changes. Stir the pot, mix things up, etc. Make this team fun to watch again...

So after bashing Ted for wanting to hoard salary to carryover and never use, let us commence bashing Ted for so inconsiderately spending too much and thus handcuffing future teams.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    Well damn, u r depressing... I've been holding out hope we would start to see some big time changes. Stir the pot, mix things up, etc. Make this team fun to watch again...
    Some of the complaints about depth are just ignoring that starters cannot be replaced easily after wholesale injuries. Safety or corner.

But WR actually needs a young talent infusion.

Some of the complaints about depth are just ignoring that starters cannot be replaced easily after wholesale injuries. Safety or corner.

But WR actually needs a young talent infusion.
    I was pushing for a top WR in the draft a couple of years back (early enough in the process that the public had little idea on how the first round was projected to fall). I can't find the post now, but Davante was the only young WR on the outside, and Jordy wasn't going to get younger. I remember reading an article several years ago (maybe Jordy's third season-ish) about how the outside WR that lines up on the line who can get a good release against press coverage is the WR that makes it all work (whichever receiver letter that is). Jordy was projected into that role (before he broke out). That article has stuck with me ever since. Davante might be a legit #1. But I'd like two guys who look like that with Rodgers at QB.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Packers rookie pool over $8 mil, about half of available cap.

That, of course, is only part of the story. Contracts get restructured; Most deals come in at way lower cap number than total face value divided by years. Other teams do a lot more with less. Ted didn't like doing that, and arguably quality of the team wasn't maximized because of it. I really hope Gutekunst sees things differently, but that remains to be seen.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    That, of course, is only part of the story. Contracts get restructured; Most deals come in at way lower cap number than total face value divided by years. Other teams do a lot more with less. Ted didn't like doing that, and arguably quality of the team wasn't maximized because of it. I really hope Gutekunst sees things differently, but that remains to be seen.
    Tank loves this line of thinking too, that the cap can just be avoided forever. But eventually it comes back to bite you. Just look at the mess of the Redskins or the Cowboys defense.

And the rookie pool is a weird deal. You have to come in at that number. But the rest of the rookie deal is based off increases from that first year. So it’s very structured and rookie deals do not tend to feature cap games like veteran deals do.

Tank loves this line of thinking too, that the cap can just be avoided forever. But eventually it comes back to bite you. Just look at the mess of the Redskins or the Cowboys defense.

And the rookie pool is a weird deal. You have to come in at that number. But the rest of the rookie deal is based off increases from that first year. So it’s very structured and rookie deals do not tend to feature cap games like veteran deals do.
    True on rookies, but the games definitely can be played on veterans' contracts. The nice thing about the NFL - compared to MLB for example - is that most of most contracts is not guaranteed. Cap hell hardly ever happens. The cap increases by such a healthy figure every year that things should be pushed to the limit in the years we still have Aaron Rodgers playing near his top level.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Here is a template for the offseason. Covers all the steps and has some numbers.

Problem is, his numbers are non-sense. As of today, the Packers do not have $22 million in cap space and the rookie pool is $8 mil and not $5 mil. And after renegotiations and Rodgers signing an extension (his number, 5 years, $150 mil), if the Packers have $22 million in cap space I will eat my hat.

So follow the template, use better numbers. He published on the 6th, maybe the draft pool numbers were published after his deadline.

http://packerstalk.com/2018/03/06/20...ulation-v-4-0/

Salary Cap

Estimated salary cap – $178,000,000

Player Salaries – $152,486,983

Dead Money – $4,718,533

Estimated Carryover – $6,400,000

Draft Pick Reserve – $5,000,000

Remaining Cap Space – $22,194,484

Renegotiations
    Randall Cobb – I believe a fair offer is 4 years/$6 million per
    Jordy Nelson – I’d give Nelson 4 years/$8 million per
    Aaron Rodgers 5 years/$150 million with half of that guaranteed

Remaining Cap Space – $22,955,984

Cuts
    TE Lance Kendricks – Cap Savings: $1,625,000.
    No cut Matthews
    No cut Bulaga
    No cut Dix.

Remaining Cap Space – $24,580,984

Re-Signing
    S Morgan Burnett – 3 years, $8 million/year

Remaining Cap Space – $18,980,984

Free Agency
    CB Kyle Fuller – 4 years, $7 million/year
    DE Muhammad Wilkerson – 4 years, $7 million/year
    QB TJ Yates – 2 years, $1.3 million/year.
    TE Crockett Gilmore – 3 years, $2 million/year

Remaining Cap Space – $6,640,984

Draft

Salary Cap

2018 salary cap – $177,200,000

Player Salaries – $160,602,634 (52 players under contract, not the Top 51 number)

Dead Money – $4,718,533

2017 Carryover – $3,934,000

Draft Pick Reserve – $8,761,000

Remaining Cap Space – $7,051,833

Renegotiations

Remaining Cap Space – $

Cuts

Remaining Cap Space – $

Re-Signing

Remaining Cap Space – $

Free Agency

Remaining Cap Space – $

Draft

Here is a template for the offseason. Covers all the steps and has some numbers.

Problem is, his numbers are non-sense. As of today, the Packers do not have $22 million in cap space and the rookie pool is $8 mil and not $5 mil. And after renegotiations and Rodgers signing an extension (his number, 5 years, $150 mil), if the Packers have $22 million in cap space I will eat my hat.

So follow the template, use better numbers. He published on the 6th, maybe the draft pool numbers were published after his deadline.

Salary Cap

Estimated salary cap – $178,000,000

Player Salaries – $152,486,983

Dead Money – $4,718,533

Estimated Carryover – $6,400,000

Draft Pick Reserve – $5,000,000

Remaining Cap Space – $22,194,484

Renegotiations
    Randall Cobb – I believe a fair offer is 4 years/$6 million per
    Jordy Nelson – I’d give Nelson 4 years/$8 million per
    Aaron Rodgers 5 years/$150 million with half of that guaranteed

Remaining Cap Space – $22,955,984

Cuts
    TE Lance Kendricks – Cap Savings: $1,625,000.
    No cut Matthews
    No cut Bulaga
    No cut Dix.

Remaining Cap Space – $24,580,984

Re-Signing
    S Morgan Burnett – 3 years, $8 million/year

Remaining Cap Space – $18,980,984

Free Agency
    CB Kyle Fuller – 4 years, $7 million/year
    DE Muhammad Wilkerson – 4 years, $7 million/year
    QB TJ Yates – 2 years, $1.3 million/year.
    TE Crockett Gilmore – 3 years, $2 million/year

Remaining Cap Space – $6,640,984

Draft
    QB TJ Yates: Why?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6603/tj-yates

Crockett Gillmore wants to change Positions from the TE Position to Tackle,

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...ckett-gillmore

" He has missed 31 games to injury over the last three seasons.

Gillmore has been a rock-solid blocking tight end in the NFL. "
    Feb 21 - 12:04 PM
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
    The #Rams are trading LB Alec Ogletree to the #Giants for 2 draft picks, source said. He was offered to the #Chiefs, too, but they declined. @AdamSchefter on it first.

Why hasn't Gutey traded anyone yet?

#FireGutey!

Dead serious, need someone to check my cap math there.

Everyone is reporting Packers at $19.6 mil. That does not include rookie pool ($8.7 mil). If it did it would be 10.9 million of room.

But I don't get the discrepancy between the public number 19.6-8.7=10.9 and the number I get when I add up all the particulars (7.0).

People cannot be quoting salary cap numbers without counting dead cap space can they?

Dead serious, need someone to check my cap math there.

Everyone is reporting Packers at $19.6 mil. That does not include rookie pool ($8.7 mil). If it did it would be 10.9 million of room.

But I don't get the discrepancy between the public number 19.6-8.7=10.9 and the number I get when I add up all the particulars (7.0).

People cannot be quoting salary cap numbers without counting dead cap space can they?
    every fucking year

8.7 million for rookies does not mean the rookies will take up 8.7 million in cap space

i don't feel like doing my own thing again for the god knows how many-th years in a row

just read this

https://overthecap.com/explaining-th...ie-salary-cap/

in short. rookies take the place of other guys on the 53 man roster. 3rd round picks and later basicaly don't add to the cap because they make the minimum and are replacing guys who also made the minimum.

2nd round picks make about a half million a year more then minimum. which leaves just the first round pick that actually adds anything to the cap.

for the packers last year since they traded out of the first. king got about 300,000 more then the minimum, and adams got just over the minimum. so last year the rookie class took up between 500,000 and a million of our cap space

after we sign our rookies we will have about 1-2 million less in cap space, NOT 8.7 million less

last year the #14 pick had a cap number of just over 1 million his first year

#14 in the second round had a cap number of 727,000

minus out the minimum wage guys they replace and thats a cap hit of about 750,000.

the other rounds cancel out
    Last edited by red; 03-07-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    after we sign our rookies we will have about 1-2 million less in cap space, NOT 8.7 million less

last year the #14 pick had a cap number of just over 1 million his first year

#14 in the second round had a cap number of 727,000

minus out the minimum wage guys they replace and thats a cap hit of about 750,000.

the other rounds cancel out
    OK, so he worked out actual cap space that had to be cleared for the 2015 rookies by team and it floats around one third to one half of the actual allowed rookie cap space, but can vary quite a bit team to team. Packers in that year had an allocation of 5.3 mil for 9 players and had to clear 1.8 mil. Bears and Jets were over half.

So I will adjust the offseason template to knock down the cap space by only 1/3 of the rookie allocation.