Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31

Thread: 2018 Playoffs

Eagles win the SB.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Wolf used to sign "seasoned" vets of NFL wars to back up Favre (McMahon, Bono, Mirer, etc.). Sherman signed Akili Smith and Tim Couch, but for reasons beyond logic, those signings failed to blossom. Ideally, you want a Hostetler, a Reich, a Foles, and a Keenum backing up your star QB. But any seasoned vet worthy of an inspiration would do just fine.

The Hun showed some kung fus as a rookie. But they weren't actually kung fus, but instead, illusions. Bluntly put, Hundley can't play. In the last TC, Hundley was outplayed by a 27 year old rookie free agent. Todd should've signed a seasoned vet to backup A-Rod. Someone like Kap.
    Wolf also had draft guys like Brunell and Detmer and Hasslebeck as backups. Also 3 QB's was the norm back then, allowing for a vet backup and a promising qb to develop.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Eagles win the SB.
    Good to know. Can you get me the winning powerball numbers the next time you time travel?
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Ideally, you want a Hostetler, a Reich, a Foles, and a Keenum backing up your star QB.
    As long as we're talking ideally - Ideally, I'd like to trade for Steve Young from Tampa Bay to follow my HOF QB. Or draft all the long-shot all-pros in the late rounds. Like Tom Brady and Terrell Davis. But the Packers never do these things because they just want to make the playoffs and not win the Superbowl. So long as people are paying to sled at Packer Park, leadership just doesn't give a shit whether the Packers win or lose.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Good to know. Can you get me the winning powerball numbers the next time you time travel?
    3, 16, 45, 18, 32, 5
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Who thinks Brady will retire if he wins?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    QB's are so valuable that I think it generally makes sense to be searching for stars among the haystack of young jags in the backup role rather than relying on mediocre journeyman. I'd probably rather have the journeyman if my starting QB was a glass doll or super young.

Hundley was an acceptable risk IMO. Makes you wonder how much utility modern NFL practice has as an evaluation tool though.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Wolf used to sign "seasoned" vets of NFL wars to back up Favre (McMahon, Bono, Mirer, etc.). Sherman signed Akili Smith and Tim Couch, but for reasons beyond logic, those signings failed to blossom. Ideally, you want a Hostetler, a Reich, a Foles, and a Keenum backing up your star QB. But any seasoned vet worthy of an inspiration would do just fine.
    All of these vets, as backups, were worse than Wolf's QB draft picks with the exception of Hosteler and Reich. You could throw Don Strock in there. Detmer was probably terrible but we never got a chance to find out in GB.

Foles has been his terrible self and his good self in the last month: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...ack-nick-foles

If you find a QB worth developing, he almost has to backup on the active roster. After his rookie preseason, he would have been claimed like Taysom Hill was.

At that point, to carry a 3rd vet QB on the roster will cost you in a game. With only two QBs the Packers have run short of RBs more than once.

The question remains who the hell was wrong on Hundley and are they still collecting a paycheck?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    QB's are so valuable that I think it generally makes sense to be searching for stars among the haystack of young jags in the backup role rather than relying on mediocre journeyman. I'd probably rather have the journeyman if my starting QB was a glass doll or super young.

Hundley was an acceptable risk IMO. Makes you wonder how much utility modern NFL practice has as an evaluation tool though.
    Almost none. And the elimination of QB school and other rookie and Year 1 offseason stuff hurt.

Coaches shot themselves in the foot on this though, by staging contact in non contact sessions. And then filming it
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    He might take a shot at being the only team to win THREE Superbowls in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    He might take a shot at being the only team to win THREE Superbowls in a row.
    Maybe, but he'll have to win this one first.

I think he'll continue playing as long as he's not broken down and the AFC East remains a collection of pushovers. Every year he tacks on adds to his legacy, which I believe he loves, and adds to the sales narrative for TB12 clinics. Did anyone see the commercials for "Tom vs. Time"? Yeah. He's building himself up to be a god and him continuing to play works into that. He might re-think it if the AFC East ever manages to grow a pair or Belichick moves on or retires.

Belichick leaving would be a fun experiment.
    Last edited by denverYooper; 01-22-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Can you get me the winning powerball numbers the next time you time travel?
    I keep that info for myself.
    C.H.U.D.

He's not the same guy physically, nano bubbles, deep tissue massage and avocado aside.

But I bet he still plays. He got rid of the replacement already.

I don't know if it came up in the thread earlier, but if the refs don't blow dead that NE fumble on the trick play double pass, Jack returns it for a TD and they are up 27-10 in the fourth.

There were some BS calls that game...of course you can say that about any game. Did you see a Zebra was one of the first guys to congratulate Brady after the game? lol
    C.H.U.D.

I don't know if it came up in the thread earlier, but if the refs don't blow dead that NE fumble on the trick play double pass, Jack returns it for a TD and they are up 27-10 in the fourth.
    Maybe. Can't rule out that some Patriots might have stopped playing when they heard the whistle.

Jags scored 6 points in the 2nd half. Wanna beat the Patriots in a playoff game? Better score more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Maybe. Can't rule out that some Patriots might have stopped playing when they heard the whistle.

Jags scored 6 points in the 2nd half. Wanna beat the Patriots in a playoff game? Better score more than that.
    I know. The ref didn't defense that pass at the end. Sometimes (well, with the Patriots, most of the time, except against the Giants) the other guy just makes a better play.

I think Jack was still a live ball carrier (and it was a fumble, Peter King's non-sense about hand over the ball notwithstanding) but down by contact rules are a get out of jail free card for refs who blow the whistle early. They've gotten much better in recent years about this, but its never perfect.

Of all the bad calls and bad rules interpretations these days, down by contact I can live with if its with a whistle.

Unless his play falls off a cliff in 2018 I suspect he'll stick around as long as BB does.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    I keep that info for myself.
    I'll take the mega millions numbers if that's cool?!? It only takes one, right? Haha
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!