Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Packers should keep Clay Matthews in 2018.

Why Packers should keep Clay Matthews in 2018.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...thews-in-2018/

Why Packers should keep Clay Matthews in 2018

Clay Matthews Career Statès:

http://www.nfl.com/player/claymatthews/80431/profile
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

If we add another EDGE player I want to see what Pettine can do with Clay and Nick this year.

He can move to the middle and have a huge impact on the game. Unfortunately we need to find another edge rusher no matter how you slice it or dice it.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    He can move to the middle and have a huge impact on the game. Unfortunately we need to find another edge rusher no matter how you slice it or dice it.
    Absolutely! This is what I've been saying also. Clay has lost a step and seldom finishes the job from OLB, but he did a damn fine job at ILB, and paired with Martinez would be a definite asset to our D. And Perry/Brooks/Biegel/Fackrell all would be decent second best OLBs if we could just find a star-quality pass rusher to pair them with.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

He certainly still has gas left in the tank to play 2-3 more years, but I believe the days of being a continual threat as a pass rusher from OLB are now behind CM3. He should now be in a rotation with Perry and some other younger guys, and he should expect time at ILB as well.

If he wants to stay in Green Bay for another 3 years, I would offer to extend his deal 2 more years for a total of around $21M. Give him a $6M signing bonus and roughly $7M / $5M / $3M base salaries for the next 3 years. That reduces his cap number this year by about $2.5M and ensures his cap number will reduce along with his expected contribution in coming years. If he's not willing to accept an offer like that, then you let him play out his deal this year and wave bye-bye after 2018.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I'd be fine letting clay walk or restricture. For the 10-12 games he plays - ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    I'd be fine letting clay walk or restructure. For the 10-12 games he plays - ugh.
    Would a rookie EDGE player be able to step right in Clay's shoes? If not would a FA pass rusher be any better and/or cheaper? Most teams hang onto their good pass rushers. If one hits the market he'll cost more than what we'll be paying Clay so he better be a hell of lot more effective.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Would a rookie EDGE player be able to step right in Clay's shoes? If not would a FA pass rusher be any better and/or cheaper? Most teams hang onto their good pass rushers. If one hits the market he'll cost more than what we'll be paying Clay so he better be a hell of lot more effective.
    Right. The FA(s) who solves all your problems has to exist in reality, not just in fantasy. And he/they had better work out great or you are screwed. Not every foray into free agency works out like it did for the Jags this year. But there will be those who will cherry pick the good outcomes and ask "why didn't the Packers do that?"
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Keep Clay, sign a vet top CB, draft pass rush, TE and line. Sign Jimmy at TE and let's do this.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Right. The FA(s) who solves all your problems has to exist in reality, not just in fantasy. And he/they had better work out great or you are screwed. Not every foray into free agency works out like it did for the Jags this year. But there will be those who will cherry pick the good outcomes and ask "why didn't the Packers do that?"
    Signing every hotshot free agent is fantasy, not reality - not even if the owner is a trillionaire - due to that dreaded thing called salary cap. But if you have an elite QB on your roster, the best strategy to subscribe to is Belichickism.

That means trading for Cook even if you already have 3 good receivers on your roster. AND signing a lockdown corner in free agency even with another lockdown corner already on the roster.

Btw, how do y'all type in the trademark symbol next to a word? I wanna trademark Belichickism.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Signing every hotshot free agent is fantasy, not reality - not even if the owner is a trillionaire - due to that dreaded thing called salary cap. But if you have an elite QB on your roster, the best strategy to subscribe to is Belichickism.

That means trading for Cook even if you already have 3 good receivers on your roster. AND signing a lockdown corner in free agency even with another lockdown corner already on the roster.

Btw, how do y'all type in the trademark symbol next to a word? I wanna trademark Belichickism.

THat's fine. Just spell it out - ID the player(s) the contracts and who you have to let go to make it happen from a financial and roster perspective. I'd be interested to see whet specifically you have in mind.

One caution: there is but one Belichick; even if you like his protege, it doesn't guarantee similar success. It's likely that Belichickism™ may only work for Belichick.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Keep Clay, sign a vet top CB, draft pass rush, TE and line. Sign Jimmy at TE and let's do this.
    Exactly!

THat's fine. Just spell it out - ID the player(s) the contracts and who you have to let go to make it happen from a financial and roster perspective. I'd be interested to see whet specifically you have in mind.

One caution: there is but one Belichick; even if you like his protege, it doesn't guarantee similar success. It's likely that Belichickism™ may only work for Belichick.
    We should risk the "cap hell" that some people whine about while we still have Aaron Rodgers playing at a top level. Then when he is gone, either it will take care of itself because his big contract is gone too, or else we suffer for a couple of years - which we probably would anyway when he's gone, but the ride to get there will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    We should risk the "cap hell" that some people whine about while we still have Aaron Rodgers playing at a top level. Then when he is gone, either it will take care of itself because his big contract is gone too, or else we suffer for a couple of years - which we probably would anyway when he's gone, but the ride to get there will be worth it.
    Is that what Belichick does?

Too lazy at this moment to do the math, but the math says that with a Brady or a Rodgers, your odds of winning more than a fluke Super Bowls are excellent via Belichickism. Just gotta be smart with the cap, ala Belichick.

And while I'm not Nostradamus, I'm fairly certain that the Packers would've won more than a fluke Super Bowl by now in this century had Thompson acquired pimps like Jimmy G, Tony G, V-Dave, Beast Mode, Randy Fucking Moss, and Revis Island when he had the chance. Hell, Packers might've won the SB last season had the Polar Bear signed Cro while bums like Gunter, Randall, Goodson, Hyde and Rollins were disgracing the corner position.

Too lazy at this moment to do the math, but the math says that with a Brady or a Rodgers, your odds of winning more than a fluke Super Bowls are excellent via Belichickism. Just gotta be smart with the cap, ala Belichick.

And while I'm not Nostradamus, I'm fairly certain that the Packers would've won more than a fluke Super Bowl by now in this century had Thompson acquired pimps like Jimmy G, Tony G, V-Dave, Beast Mode, Randy Fucking Moss, and Revis Island when he had the chance. Hell, Packers might've won the SB last season had the Polar Bear signed Cro while bums like Gunter, Randall, Goodson, Hyde and Rollins were disgracing the corner position.
    You may be right, but you can't be lazy - you do have to do the math to see who and what you can afford and the long-term ramifications. Belichickism™ requires math.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    With the way the Zombies (e.g. mindless folks) of planet Earth are feeding the greedy, fat capitalists in the NFL, the cap will only continue to increase significantly with time.

Cap hell? That's so 90's. No such thing in this century.

You may be right, but you can't be lazy - you do have to do the math to see who and what you can afford and the long-term ramifications. Belichickism™ requires math.
    Nope. Still too lazy. And still haven't figured out how to get the exponent TM next to a word, not even after googling it. lol

I'll say this: the cap can always be cooked.

Nope. Still too lazy. And still haven't figured out how to get the exponent TM next to a word, not even after googling it. lol

I'll say this: the cap can always be cooked.
    I didn't mean you personally. I meant 'you' as in the GM. ™ - try cut and paste. But remember, it's use is restricted ®.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    This sounds like a plan!