Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why Packers should keep Clay Matthews in 2018.

You are more likely to get a shutdown corner at 14 than top flight pass rush. Draft the corner, sign some pass rush.

Put Fackrell in an incubator so he can finish developing.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Nope. Still too lazy. And still haven't figured out how to get the exponent TM next to a word, not even after googling it. lol

I'll say this: the cap can always be cooked.
    Ask the Cowboys, Redskins and Saints how that is working for them.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You are more likely to get a shutdown corner at 14 than top flight pass rush. Draft the corner, sign some pass rush.

Put Fackrell in an incubator so he can finish developing.
    Draft Landry and sign a vet CB. I think it's easier to rush the passer for rookies than cover WRs.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The Packers have no business drafting anything but BPA.

Plug all the emergency holes with FA as cap permits but for godsakes use the draft to reel in a star with a rookie contract at any position.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    The Packers have no business drafting anything but BPA.

Plug all the emergency holes with FA as cap permits but for godsakes use the draft to reel in a star with a rookie contract at any position.
    There are some positions that can be eliminated from 1st round consideration though:

QB: You have Rodgers
    TE: Nobody rated that high
    G: Can find them later
    C: See Guard
    ILB: Nobody rated that high

Pretty could chance there will be an OLB, WR, OT or CB worthy of the 14th pick.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    There are some positions that can be eliminated from 1st round consideration though:

RB is stacked, wouldn't pick a WR that high unless it's a Moss talent.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Or Safety. Unless it's Nick Collins, the position isn't a game changer.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    RB is stacked, wouldn't pick a WR that high unless it's a Moss talent.
    What about Calvin Ridley? they need to figure out what to do at WR -- they have Davante and a bunch of #3/#4 level WRs, and that's not good enough even with Rodgers IMO.

(I ask that even though I agree with most that CB and especially pass rush need help.)

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar

What about Roquan from Georgia, Joe? He could be a Kuechly type.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    What about Roquan from Georgia, Joe? He could be a Kuechly type.
    Boards are all over the place on him right now. I've seen him rated from #5 overall to a 2nd round pick. So he could be gone before the Packers pick, or he could be a reach at # 14. He's not at the Senior Bowl, so he'll be one to watch at the Combine.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 01-18-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Interesting. I've seen some mid 20s on him. Guess we'll get more info as the process proceeds. BPA on defense is my choice. There are a couple top positions talents that could be available.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    What about Calvin Ridley? they need to figure out what to do at WR -- they have Davante and a bunch of #3/#4 level WRs, and that's not good enough even with Rodgers IMO.

(I ask that even though I agree with most that CB and especially pass rush need help.)
    I would not draft a 6'1" WR in the first round, I know dumb to think that, but if you are burning a top pick I want a 6'4" WR that runs a 4.4 40.

CB is the TOP need but I think that is a Free Agent Need, King will be decent (I hope) Randall is a headcase but played OK toward the end and we have Rollins and I am pretty sure a couple of undrafted CBs that will turn into Shields and Tramontana I hope.

I don't know how much a difference the 4-3 is between the 3-4 at OLB but we need a pass rush and I would be ok an actually happy to see us switch but that would mean drafting a stud, pass rushing DE. I just don't know where Clay would play.

Stolen idea from Fritz:

Bench Randall early each season. By stretch run he’ll be at Pro Bowl level.

I didn't say sign a FA. I said Clay is overpaid for his games played and production. I'd ask him to take a cut or a walk. We can use that cap for any number of valued, productive positions.

Even if Clay is overpaid for what he does now, he's still a top 5 player on defense. Hemorrhaging talent (even overpaid talent) will not help the Packers get better. Let him play out his contract (Nelson too) and keep looking for young players to fill the role (if Gute can draft pass rushers like TT drafted WRs, we'll be fine). If the Packers run out of money, that's when you approach Nelson for a cheap extension.

None of these players are deadweight. It isn't like Clay is Menedict Barnold. And even if Nelson is final-year-Donald-Driver or second-stint-Antonio-Freeman, Rodgers benefits from having Nelson on the field, and at this point, that's the deciding factor.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

yup...move him to the middle if they draft an edge at 14. keep him where he's at if they draft a cb...and depending on what they do in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    With the way the Zombies (e.g. mindless folks) of planet Earth are feeding the greedy, fat capitalists in the NFL, the cap will only continue to increase significantly with time.

Cap hell? That's so 90's. No such thing in this century.
    I'm with you on this, just as I was with you on getting rid of Ted. Don't push it, though, by bringing bad politics into it.

Cap hell is less likely these days, but it still could be reached if things got too extreme. We are far away from that extreme now, however, and we can and should get much closer to the edge - load up and high grade things while we still have Aaron Rodgers at the top of his game.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Just wait til the cable packages collapse.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Even if Clay is overpaid for what he does now, he's still a top 5 player on defense. Hemorrhaging talent (even overpaid talent) will not help the Packers get better. Let him play out his contract (Nelson too) and keep looking for young players to fill the role (if Gute can draft pass rushers like TT drafted WRs, we'll be fine). If the Packers run out of money, that's when you approach Nelson for a cheap extension.

None of these players are deadweight. It isn't like Clay is Menedict Barnold. And even if Nelson is final-year-Donald-Driver or second-stint-Antonio-Freeman, Rodgers benefits from having Nelson on the field, and at this point, that's the deciding factor.
    this