Thread: Report: Gruden adds ex-Packers offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett to staff.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    My take is that really the wide receivers have not excelled in the last few years. Davis has done nothing and Janis still doesn't have it after several years. We've all commented how receivers can't get open. Edgar had a great playing career here, that does not give him a pass on what I feel was coaching an underperforming group. I've always thought he's received too much credit for what many feel is Rodgers throwing wide receivers open.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    My take is that really the wide receivers have not excelled in the last few years. Davis has done nothing and Janis still doesn't have it after several years. We've all commented how receivers can't get open. Edgar had a great playing career here, that does not give him a pass on what I feel was coaching an underperforming group. I've always thought he's received too much credit for what many feel is Rodgers throwing wide receivers open.
    Edgar Bennett has not been the WR's Coach for the past three Seasons.

Then there is this:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-...oach--99980979

Packers OC Edgar Bennett in line to be next NFL head coach

Edgar Bennett has been a Packers assistant coach since 2005.

Brian Jones - Jul 14, 2017 0

Ten Days ago we had this:

https://247sports.com/Bolt/More-deta...ges--113166571

More details emerge from Packers offensive coaching changes

Edgar Bennett will likely remain on the coaching staff after being let go as offensive coordinator.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
    #Packers announce they’ve parted ways with DC Dom Capers and assistants Scott McCurley and Mike Trgovac. They’re also reassigning OC Edgar Bennett and QBs coach Alex Van Pelt’s contract won’t be renewed, sources tell @RapSheet and me. NFL’s most stable staff getting a big shakeup

6:33 PM - Jan 3, 2018 · Plymouth, MN
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-13-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I'm a little bit conflicted about this post. For sure, Packer receivers haven't done a very good job of getting open, but I'm not sure Bennett could have somehow made them more athletic or talented. To the extent that he might be the one behind under-using guys like Janis and Davis, as well as Clark and the Purdue guy we drafted, then maybe he gets blame.

Any offensive coordinator of the Packers, of course, has way less responsibility and authority than OCs of other teams since McCarthy in effect is his own OC. I was surprised when Philbin left for Miami so highly regarded. Now he's back. Whether he will be any better at playing second fiddle than Bennett was, who knows.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Bennett improved the position from the year before. Don't forget they suffered from a terrible case of the dropsies before him. He did well with them, enough to justify a promotion, but he got Peter Principled for sure.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.