Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
My take is that really the wide receivers have not excelled in the last few years. Davis has done nothing and Janis still doesn't have it after several years. We've all commented how receivers can't get open. Edgar had a great playing career here, that does not give him a pass on what I feel was coaching an underperforming group. I've always thought he's received too much credit for what many feel is Rodgers throwing wide receivers open.
I'm a little bit conflicted about this post. For sure, Packer receivers haven't done a very good job of getting open, but I'm not sure Bennett could have somehow made them more athletic or talented. To the extent that he might be the one behind under-using guys like Janis and Davis, as well as Clark and the Purdue guy we drafted, then maybe he gets blame.

Any offensive coordinator of the Packers, of course, has way less responsibility and authority than OCs of other teams since McCarthy in effect is his own OC. I was surprised when Philbin left for Miami so highly regarded. Now he's back. Whether he will be any better at playing second fiddle than Bennett was, who knows.