Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Report: Gruden adds ex-Packers offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett to staff.

Report: Gruden adds ex-Packers offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett to staff.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-grud...052844006.html

Report: Gruden adds ex-Packers offensive coordinator to staff

" Oakland Raiders head coach Jon Gruden reportedly hired another member of his staff on Friday night, and named Edgar Bennett the team's wide receivers coach, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "

NBC Sports Bay Area staff

NBC Sports BayArea•Jan 13, 2018, 12:28 AM
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-ra...oach-113637890

The Raiders just made a home run hire for their wide receivers coach.

13 Hours ago.

Comment woodbuck27:

Why did Mike McCarthy feel it was necessary to dismiss a Packer HOFer and Experienced Coach 2001 - 2017 such as Edgar Bennett?

What was sensable about that move by Mike McCarthy? I don't like that move at all. Unless Edgar Bennett was anxious to leave Green Bay for a better opportunity!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_...oaching_career
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-13-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    My take is that really the wide receivers have not excelled in the last few years. Davis has done nothing and Janis still doesn't have it after several years. We've all commented how receivers can't get open. Edgar had a great playing career here, that does not give him a pass on what I feel was coaching an underperforming group. I've always thought he's received too much credit for what many feel is Rodgers throwing wide receivers open.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    My take is that really the wide receivers have not excelled in the last few years. Davis has done nothing and Janis still doesn't have it after several years. We've all commented how receivers can't get open. Edgar had a great playing career here, that does not give him a pass on what I feel was coaching an underperforming group. I've always thought he's received too much credit for what many feel is Rodgers throwing wide receivers open.
    Edgar Bennett has not been the WR's Coach for the past three Seasons.

Then there is this:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-...oach--99980979

Packers OC Edgar Bennett in line to be next NFL head coach

Edgar Bennett has been a Packers assistant coach since 2005.

Brian Jones - Jul 14, 2017 0

Ten Days ago we had this:

https://247sports.com/Bolt/More-deta...ges--113166571

More details emerge from Packers offensive coaching changes

Edgar Bennett will likely remain on the coaching staff after being let go as offensive coordinator.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
    #Packers announce they’ve parted ways with DC Dom Capers and assistants Scott McCurley and Mike Trgovac. They’re also reassigning OC Edgar Bennett and QBs coach Alex Van Pelt’s contract won’t be renewed, sources tell @RapSheet and me. NFL’s most stable staff getting a big shakeup

6:33 PM - Jan 3, 2018 · Plymouth, MN
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-13-2018 at 01:14 PM.

I'm a little bit conflicted about this post. For sure, Packer receivers haven't done a very good job of getting open, but I'm not sure Bennett could have somehow made them more athletic or talented. To the extent that he might be the one behind under-using guys like Janis and Davis, as well as Clark and the Purdue guy we drafted, then maybe he gets blame.

Any offensive coordinator of the Packers, of course, has way less responsibility and authority than OCs of other teams since McCarthy in effect is his own OC. I was surprised when Philbin left for Miami so highly regarded. Now he's back. Whether he will be any better at playing second fiddle than Bennett was, who knows.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Bennett improved the position from the year before. Don't forget they suffered from a terrible case of the dropsies before him. He did well with them, enough to justify a promotion, but he got Peter Principled for sure.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Some guys are just position coaches. I think Edgar is probably that kind of guy. Same with Ray Rhodes - that guy was such a great defensive back coach, he never should have gone away from it - but who can blame them - you have to try for the brass ring. Coordinators and HCs have to have a different, somewhat more detached demeanor. I get the feeling that a nice guy like Bennett is just too friendly with players to be that overseer kind of coach. That's primarily based on history and talking with the guy for ten minutes, so I could be wrong...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Am I missing something? Edgar hasn’t coached the WRs since 2014.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Mike Mccarthy promoted Bennett a few times when he felt he was doing good jobs

Perhaps he was not an effective OC

Would ANYBODY here prefer Edgar Bennett to Philbin ?

I think most would consider it an upgrade
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Am I missing something? Edgar hasn’t coached the WRs since 2014.
    My apologies, I thought he coached them longer.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Mike Mccarthy promoted Bennett a few times when he felt he was doing good jobs

Perhaps he was not an effective OC

Would ANYBODY here prefer Edgar Bennett to Philbin ?

I think most would consider it an upgrade
    Philbin is an upgrade. Under Bennett as OC in 2015-2016, the Packers offense went through stretches where they really struggled. Not sure how much of Hundley's struggles this year were Bennett's fault. With the Raiders, Bennett will be going back to doing what he does best. Coaching wide receivers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Philbin is an upgrade. Under Bennett as OC in 2015-2016, the Packers offense went through stretches where they really struggled. Not sure how much of Hundley's struggles this year were Bennett's fault. With the Raiders, Bennett will be going back to doing what he does best. Coaching wide receivers.

So I"m not the only one who saw Bennett as a subpar average OC (he did great as the WR coach iMO)

So we should be praising MM for these moves IMO
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

So I"m not the only one who saw Bennett as a subpar average OC (he did great as the WR coach iMO)

Only if they work. Probably should have brought in Tom Coughlin (but only when he wins).
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Give him far less room on offense than defense. He should know how the OC is doing very quickly. Went for 3 years. Not as bad as sticking with poor defensive results, but still. He's loyal.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

So I"m not the only one who saw Bennett as a subpar average OC
    The proof was in the puddin. Without Rodgers the offense was exposed as practically useless. Not sure how much stronger of an indictment you need against an "OC" than an offense that fell apart: couldn't communicate, operate, or produce. Time for Edgar to make his own way and stop sucking off Rodger's tit.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    The proof was in the puddin. Without Rodgers the offense was exposed as practically useless. Not sure how much stronger of an indictment you need against an "OC" than an offense that fell apart: couldn't communicate, operate, or produce. Time for Edgar to make his own way and stop sucking off Rodger's tit.
    Happened in 2013 too. Clements got sacked after the next season I believe.

I think the problem runs deeper than the OC.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Happened in 2013 too. Clements got sacked after the next season I believe.

I think the problem runs deeper than the OC.
    I agree, but I don't think it's a problem - except when Rodgers gets hurt long-term.

Several have argued that the problem is the offense is tuned to Rodger's special talents. That's good - it should be. What needs to happen is better preparation for Rodgers to be hurt or gone. Clearly Stubby threw people under the bus for not being prepared. Well, he's the next to go under if this ever happens again. Well, maybe Murphy goes first, but it doesn't matter - if things are so bad that Murphy doesn't survive, neither will Stubby. So they better solve the Rodgers-less problem. Question is - can they do it without restructuring the Rodgers-led offensive scheme itself, or does the whole thing need an overhaul? I think the latter - Stubby needs to recraft the offense this offseason. Bring in a solid backup vet and rework the whole thing so it works for Rodgers and the vet.

I don't know what the backup pool looks like for doing Rodgers version of the offense.

The question is can they construct a subset of the base offense (if it exists) for the backup. McCarthy never settled on one approach with BH.

It’s important to note that this offense is fine-tuned to Rodger’s abilities. If the offense is changed to make it a more generic offense, chances are that it won’t function as well for Rodgers. I’m not sure I would want a less effective offense so that a backup could function more effectively if he had to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    It’s important to note that this offense is fine-tuned to Rodger’s abilities. If the offense is changed to make it a more generic offense, chances are that it won’t function as well for Rodgers. I’m not sure I would want a less effective offense so that a backup could function more effectively if he had to take over.
    I agree with this, but also want to note that without some more basic functionality, like beating man coverage when the DBs are better athletes than your receivers save Davante, its a huge risk to assume your mobile QB will live long enough for someone to come uncovered eventually.

Given the nature of the offense, its surprising Rodgers hasn't been hurt more.