Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Report: Gruden adds ex-Packers offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett to staff.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I agree with this, but also want to note that without some more basic functionality, like beating man coverage when the DBs are better athletes than your receivers save Davante, its a huge risk to assume your mobile QB will live long enough for someone to come uncovered eventually.

Given the nature of the offense, its surprising Rodgers hasn't been hurt more.
    I am hoping the emergence of Williams and Jones and the return of Montgomery causes them to re-work the offense in a way that will be less risky to Rodgers's long term health.

But I dunno. I'm afraid part of it is just how Rodgers likes to roll.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I am hoping the emergence of Williams and Jones and the return of Montgomery causes them to re-work the offense in a way that will be less risky to Rodgers's long term health.

But I dunno. I'm afraid part of it is just how Rodgers likes to roll.
    It's the big play/safe play threshold. They always want the TD play, and waiting for it kills the check down it seems - or there is no check down designed in. When the offense had 4-5 legit receiving targets, Rodgers could usually identify the target before the snap or had enough confidence to throw it to where Jennings of Nelson should be (e.g. Jennings after he broke down the defense over the middle and Nelson to back shoulder). Mix in a WR screen and a draw and you've got an offense that Rodgers can run. Add Lacy and you can straight up run as an option.

As the receivers dwindled in skill level, and when Lacy became ineffective, there's no run threat and the receivers can be jammed or doubled (Adams), and the pass plays became extended. Rodgers dancing around and Bacteria and other linemen extending blocks still worked enough to win. Linemen start getting hurt, Rodgers goes out, and the whole thing falls apart.

Fortunately, they still had Adams - until he got taken out - and some decent running backs. But that's not enough with an inaccurate passer and your other receiving options being Aged Jordy, Slow Cobb, Oven Mitts, Traitor Bennett and Injured Monty.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Get a Jennings in around 2 and I think things look much different.

#carrythisteamonhisback

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Happened in 2013 too. Clements got sacked after the next season I believe.

I think the problem runs deeper than the OC.
    Well, we can all say that, but a coach rising through the ranks to the position of offensive coordinator had a chance to show he could coordinate an offense, not just rely on the superstar QB. Edgar didn’t do that. Thus his departure with little hand wringing. A true candidate for the next level would have distinguished himself, not shit himself.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

I think its fair to conclude that Edgar got Peter Principled.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    The proof was in the puddin. Without Rodgers the offense was exposed as practically useless. Not sure how much stronger of an indictment you need against an "OC" than an offense that fell apart: couldn't communicate, operate, or produce. Time for Mike to make his own way and stop sucking off Rodger's tit.
    Fixed it for you.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack