Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: "PACKER POISED FOR FREE AGENT PURSUITS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If a 44 year old (former) athlete could make an NFL roster at a skill position today, we would be seeing at least one of them out there. You can slow down the effects of aging on maximal heart rate, VO2max, loss of muscle mass and declining recovery ability, but you cannot stop it. But that aside the idea is just silly. If Owens were to make an NFL roster today he would either be attempting a comeback after seven years of NFL inactivity (and about 14 years past his physical prime) or he would have been on an NFL roster for twenty two years at a skill position, which means he would probably have had at least three career-ending injuries by now and would be on his second set of artificial knees.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    ... attempting a comeback after seven years of NFL inactivity.
    'overnight'
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Meh, I still think Michael Jordan at 50-something could beat 2/3 of the NBA in one-on-one, and I still think Brett Favre, in the right situation, could sit back and sling the football as well as anyone.

Just look at Brady.

Maybe sustained performance is not there, but I think most of these studs can get the fast twitch firin' up again and make some big plays.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    What do yall think about David Irving? Rumors in Dallas are saying the Cowboys may place a 2nd round tender on him. I'd consider our second rounder for him. He's really young and really explosive.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    What do yall think about David Irving? Rumors in Dallas are saying the Cowboys may place a 2nd round tender on him. I'd consider our second rounder for him. He's really young and really explosive.
    I would love it. It sounds like he is a rising star. I doubt they will do it due to the financial realities of the game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    This has to be a serious consideration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_...ican_football)

" ...On March 6, 2017, Irving re-signed with the Cowboys.[11] On May 23, 2017, it was announced that Irving would be suspended four games due to violating the league's performance enhancing drugs policy.[12] His appeal was denied and was officially suspended the first four games of the 2017 season.[13]

Despite missing the first four games because of his suspension, and the final two because of a lingering concussion, Irving still accrued seven sacks on the year.[14] ..."
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Bruce Matthews - Clay's uncle - is another. His brother, Clay Jr. also played to 40 or so, I think, as a LB. You get a few freaks of nature at just about every position who last extra long. Luck has more to do with it than anything else, as even a lot of extremely well conditioned players get hurt bad enough to kill their career or at least greatly diminish their ability.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Bruce Matthews - Clay's uncle - is another. His brother, Clay Jr. also played to 40 or so, I think, as a LB. You get a few freaks of nature at just about every position who last extra long. Luck has more to do with it than anything else, as even a lot of extremely well conditioned players get hurt bad enough to kill their career or at least greatly diminish their ability.
    Julius Peppers seems to be as well. There are always outliers, but 40 seems to be a magic number for players outside the 3 positions.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

The Butler cannot do it.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...alcolm-butler/

Last offseason, Justis Mosqueda did the research on Thompson’s tendencies for CheeseheadTV. What he found: The Packers like their cornerbacks to be at least 5-11 (or very close), with a 40-yard dash time of 4.57 or better and a three-cone drill time of 6.87 or better.

Butler is listed at NFL.com at 5-11, but that appears to be a stretching of the truth. His pro day results, provided by NFLDraftScout.com, tell a different story.

Butler was measured at Alabama’s Pro Day in 2014 at a little under 5-10. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds and posted a three-cone time of 7.20, both well below Thompson’s athletic standards.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The Butler cannot do it.

Last offseason, Justis Mosqueda did the research on Thompson’s tendencies for CheeseheadTV. What he found: The Packers like their cornerbacks to be at least 5-11 (or very close), with a 40-yard dash time of 4.57 or better and a three-cone drill time of 6.87 or better.

Butler is listed at NFL.com at 5-11, but that appears to be a stretching of the truth. His pro day results, provided by NFLDraftScout.com, tell a different story.

Butler was measured at Alabama’s Pro Day in 2014 at a little under 5-10. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds and posted a three-cone time of 7.20, both well below Thompson’s athletic standards.
    Okay, but Thompson isn't the GM and Capers isn't the DC. Isn't it possible that Gutekunst/Pettine will have different parameters for a CB than Thompson/Capers did? It's hard to say, because I'm not sure how much input Capers had with Thompson, or Pettine has with Gutekunst.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Okay, but Thompson isn't the GM and Capers isn't the DC. Isn't it possible that Gutekunst/Pettine will have different parameters for a CB than Thompson/Capers did? It's hard to say, because I'm not sure how much input Capers had with Thompson, or Pettine has with Gutekunst.
    Butler did say he has run as fast as 4.4 in other timing. And they may have different parameters now for CBs.

But BG is a Ron/Ted guy. And Butler has had two poor years out of three. I don't see why people want to spend more than $9 mil a year for this guy.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The Butler cannot do it.

Short 'n slow.

Why do the Packers want that, again?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

If BG is a Ron/Ted guy, then the Packers are doomed to fart away the rest of Aaron Rodgers' career, same as Ted's last few years. Butler may not be the answer, but we need free agent talent to make up for Ted's last few years - Jimmy Graham for sure and some kind of a solution at Corner.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Why is everybody so hot on Jimmy Graham? He's injury-prone, hates to block, and his great-grandpa just died.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    He's injury-prone, hates to block.
    Sounds like a Packer to me.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

It'd be like signing Jermichael Finley after his injuries.

KYPack

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    It'd be like signing Jermichael Finley after his injuries.
    I wasn't aware Graham is attempting to return from a catastrophic, potentially career-ending injury. And how the fuck is the guy "injury-prone?" Dude missed 5 games in 2015 (a fluke), but played in at least 15 games in each of his 7 other seasons. By comparison, A-Rod has landed on the IR at least 3 times in his career, in addition to dealing with calf problems once - Is Rodgers injury-prone?

I could see Graham reviving his career in GB the way Tony G did in Atlanta. German Shepherd needs to sign Graham. Whatever it takes.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 02-23-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    I wasn't aware Graham is attempting to return from a catastrophic, potentially career-ending injury. And how the fuck is the guy "injury-prone?" Dude missed 5 games in 2015 (a fluke), but played in at least 15 games in each of his 7 other seasons. By comparison, A-Rod has landed on the IR at least 3 times in his career, in addition to dealing with calf problems once - Is Rodgers injury-prone?

I could see Graham reviving his career in GB the way Tony G did in Atlanta. German Shepherd needs to sign Graham. Whatever it takes.

Fifty-seven catches last year? Started thirteen games? Nine yards per catch? Dude, Richard Rodgers can do that.

KYPack

Fifty-seven catches last year? Started thirteen games? Nine yards per catch? Dude, Richard Rodgers can do that.
    Rodgers would start more games.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Tell me, which season exactly did Dick Rod started at least 13 games, caught 57 passes, averaged 9 yds a catch and scored 10 tds.

Using your logic, Adams is overpaid. Dude never once reached 1000 yds receiving and he’s injury prone.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.