Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 Mock Draft Thread

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar

Official 2018 Mock Draft Thread

Mel Whabbty Whabbty Kiper Jr has his Mock 1.0 out this morning. Anybody with access willing to share who he has going at no. 14?

In other Mock Draft news I've seen our GBPs drafting the Iowa CB Jackson(?) in a few mocks, and Georgia ILB Roquan Smith.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Kiper is about as accurate as the rest of us.

The Iowa CB is supposed to be good, however. I'd be more excited about Smith at 14 if I knew Clay/Perry could stay healthy, and Smith ran a blistering 40 time. Not sure an ILB is what they really need, although the defense does need playmakers.

PFF has Packers taking Harold Landry - Edge - Boston College. They have Josh Jackson going 11th. Roquan Smith 21. https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...mpaign=college

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...st-mock-draft/

Mel Kiper’s first mock draft has the Green Bay Packers taking University of Texas-San Antonio defensive end Marcus Davenport.

While Boston College’s Harold Landry has been a popular selection for the Packers, Davenport is an intriguing prospect who has slowly gained momentum going into this year’s draft.

Kiper cites the aging of Clay Matthews and inconsistent play from Nick Perry as reasons for the Packers to target Davenport.

“(Davenport is) one of the best pure pass-rushers in this class, and we’ll get to see him against better competition at the Senior Bowl,” Kiper wrote in his mock draft Thursday.

Davenport, at close to 6-7 and weighing 255 pounds, can wreak havoc as a rusher.

“He’s still fairly raw, but Davenport’s ceiling is limitless,” Luke Easterling of Draft Wire wrote. “He can play with his hand in the dirt or standing up, and put up big numbers for the Roadrunners this season (17.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks). With NFL-level coaching, he could easily become an impact player at the next level sooner than later.”
    PFF has him going #22.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Senior Bowl and combine should help sort that out in the eyes of the pundits.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Senior Bowl and combine should help sort that out in the eyes of the pundits.
    Senior Bowl is great for guys like Davenport who have top talent but haven't played against top competition. He'll go up against the top senior OT's entering the draft.

The pass rusher from Virginia Tech is supposed to be extremely athletic. Would not mind hearing more.

It seems like maybe these mock drafts base their thinking on past choices by a team. For example, that UTSA guy sounds more like he'd be a good 4-3 DE. We've sort of made that mistake a couple of times recently with Perry and Datone Jones. And drafting another Corner in the first round shows the same thinking - even though Jackson might be a good choice.

I really want an athletic pass rusher, but I just can't get Jamal Reynolds out of my mind - and how happy I was with that draft pick before he bombed out.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    It seems like maybe these mock drafts base their thinking on past choices by a team. For example, that UTSA guy sounds more like he'd be a good 4-3 DE. We've sort of made that mistake a couple of times recently with Perry and Datone Jones. And drafting another Corner in the first round shows the same thinking - even though Jackson might be a good choice.

I really want an athletic pass rusher, but I just can't get Jamal Reynolds out of my mind - and how happy I was with that draft pick before he bombed out.
    Perry wasn't a mistake in terms of ability. He's damn good when healthy. Unfortunately that's not very often. Jones was not drafted to play OLB. They only tried that after he failed at playing on the line. If Davenport has the physical traits, he could play outside despite his size. Think Julius Peppers.

Perry wasn't a mistake in terms of ability. He's damn good when healthy. Unfortunately that's not very often. Jones was not drafted to play OLB. They only tried that after he failed at playing on the line. If Davenport has the physical traits, he could play outside despite his size. Think Julius Peppers.
    I don't know enough about Davenport to comment on him, but Datone seemed like he could have been a great 4-3 DE, but the Packers tried to make him a 3-4 DE and then OLB, neither of which he was suited for. And Perry has been borderline decent his whole career, but far from a superstar. I would have expected better from a first rounder.

As for Peppers, he's a hall of fame level superstar who proved he could do the job in any system, even at an advanced age. Hell, I bet if he'd played TE, he would have been all pro there.

I don't know enough about Davenport to comment on him, but Datone seemed like he could have been a great 4-3 DE, but the Packers tried to make him a 3-4 DE and then OLB, neither of which he was suited for. And Perry has been borderline decent his whole career, but far from a superstar. I would have expected better from a first rounder.

As for Peppers, he's a hall of fame level superstar who proved he could do the job in any system, even at an advanced age. Hell, I bet if he'd played TE, he would have been all pro there.
    You're right. They thought they could make Jones into a 3-4 DE. My point is that just because Davenport might have somewhat similar size to Jones isn't all that relevant. If the Packers decide to draft Davenport it will be because they believe he has a different skill set. The biggest question with him will be whether he has the ability to drop into coverage.

Is it crazy to want Vita Vea if there isn't a stud pass rusher available? I remember in 2010 our DL was so stoud and fat that they were pretty successful. Imagine Daniels at end (short), Clark at end, and then Vea at the thicky thicky center. Vea is supposed to be a true stud. I would be surprised if he's available at 14.

I remember people saying that Datone Jones was the first prototypical 3-4 DE that Green Bay had tried drafting. Maybe he was better as a 4-3 end, but it appears he had more success in GB than elsewhere, so who knows.

Successful first rounders aren't superstars. There's a higher chance of them there, but a successful first rounder is a consistent starter. You hope to hit one there due to the higher odds, but baseline is not superstar. Not even in the Top 10.

Look at the 1st round of the 2006 draft. A lot of long term starters, a lot of wash outs, and one bona fide star (Ngata). That isn't atypical. Getting Raji and Matthews in the same draft is incredibly rare (both breakout stars in 2010).
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Optimist that I am, Joe, if they did draft Davenport - unlikely IMO, I'd be hopeful, especially with this new GM, that they know what they're doing and the guy is star quality from a lower level school.

Smidgeon, true, not all, probably not even a majority of first rounders turn into superstars, but some do, and we just haven't been getting our share - really none since Clay Matthews, and we should have had a couple since then. Raji don't count. If he was ever star quality at all, he faded way too quick.

will the no-brainers be gone by 14? i'd rather they draft a no-brainer than someone with "upside" if you know what i mean.

You're right. They thought they could make Jones into a 3-4 DE. My point is that just because Davenport might have somewhat similar size to Jones isn't all that relevant. If the Packers decide to draft Davenport it will be because they believe he has a different skill set. The biggest question with him will be whether he has the ability to drop into coverage.
    i'd want the pass-rusher to be rushing the passer rather than dropping into coverage. but that's just me. lol

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    i'd want the pass-rusher to be rushing the passer rather than dropping into coverage. but that's just me. lol
    The idea in the 3-4 has always been that the OLB might be rushing or might be dropping into coverage. The QB isn't sure which. Take that doubt away and it's a lot easier to attack the defense.

Optimist that I am, Joe, if they did draft Davenport - unlikely IMO, I'd be hopeful, especially with this new GM, that they know what they're doing and the guy is star quality from a lower level school.

Smidgeon, true, not all, probably not even a majority of first rounders turn into superstars, but some do, and we just haven't been getting our share - really none since Clay Matthews, and we should have had a couple since then. Raji don't count. If he was ever star quality at all, he faded way too quick.
    Raji counted because his play in 2010 helped get the trophy. He burned out super fast (back down to consistent starter level), but he burned very bright that year.

You're right. On the defensive side, we haven't hit except for (maybe) Casey Hayward. But he isn't on the team anymore due to injuries and rookie potential from Randall and Rollins and Shields upping his game.

The Packers are due for a superstar. Honestly, it might be Clark. We'll see. But it's still not something you can target in a draft, otherwise they'd all go #1, #2, and #3 instead of showing up in random spots in the draft.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Mel Whabbty Whabbty Kiper Jr has his Mock 1.0 out this morning. Anybody with access willing to share who he has going at no. 14?

In other Mock Draft news I've seen our GBPs drafting the Iowa CB Jackson(?) in a few mocks, and Georgia ILB Roquan Smith.
    LOVE REQUAN SMITH !!!!!!!!!!!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    yeah i know...was half kidding.