Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 Mock Draft Thread

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    will the no-brainers be gone by 14? i'd rather they draft a no-brainer than someone with "upside" if you know what i mean.
    Dilly, dilly and Amen to that thought. There are no guarantees, but there are guys who are more "out of the box" ready than a guy who has all the physical tools, but needs seasoning. I realize there isn't always a one for one fit when a guy moves from college to pro, but don't take a guy who has never put his hand in the dirt and expect that he will ever make the transition if there is someone who has done so and they are close enough together in grade.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

IIRC Datone was supposed to be the top rated prototype 5 tech DE in a 3-4 in that year's draft, with some scheme versatility.

I'm with others re: taking the closest thing to a no-brainer available. I'd prefer that to be a pass rusher with CB a close 2nd. If it ends up being a dynamic WR or TE (unlikely) I'd probably be ok as long as they settled the Nelson/Cobb situation so they could use that money to extend ARodgers and sign some FA's. Picking at 14 means more players will be on the board than in the past...plus means picking in later rounds higher, so there's always a chance of picking someone who slides to early Day 2.

Pass rush can hide iffy CB's better, and if you can effectively rush without blitzing then you really make it hard on an offense. I don't think they will draft DL high, they will give Montravious a chance...it's the LB/CB levels they will seek to improve.

How about this? Given team track record of DB versus pass rush, you draft the CB and sign the pass rush even if that approach hurts the cap short term.

Reason is that maybe the pro player guys will make less mistakes filling Pettine's system than the college guys made filling Sanders and Capers systems.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-19-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Dilly, dilly and Amen to that thought. There are no guarantees, but there are guys who are more "out of the box" ready than a guy who has all the physical tools, but needs seasoning. I realize there isn't always a one for one fit when a guy moves from college to pro, but don't take a guy who has never put his hand in the dirt and expect that he will ever make the transition if there is someone who has done so and they are close enough together in grade.
    And this is how you draft AJ Hawk again. Long term consistent starter who everyone complains about, dreams about the breakout stars that could have been had in that position, and wants to replace for the next ten years.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

CollegeFootball 24/7

@NFLDraft
    .@NFL announces record 106 underclassmen granted special early eligibility for 2018 #NFLDraft.http://on.nfl.com/8Rf2QX
    Packers have a lot of picks. Could be a good year for it.

mock drafts this early are next to worthless, none of them have any clue right now where anyone is going

the one good thing to take from them is what positions people think we are in need of. seems like CB, OLB and ILB are the positions everyone thinks we need. which would mark about the 5th offseason in a row where those were our biggest needs

i've also seen 1 or 2 sites having us taking a TE, which i think is a complete waste in fat mikes offense. and one site having us taking a DT, which i think might be our strongest position

i'd like to see more mocks having us taking a top tier WR, we need someone other then adams to get open and make plays

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    How about this? Given team track record of DB versus pass rush, you draft the CB and sign the pass rush even if that approach hurts the cap short term.

Reason is that maybe the pro player guys will make less mistakes filling Pettine's system than the college guys made filling Sanders and Capers systems.
    i don't know if there's a lot of pass rush talent in free agency

and if we had such a good track record drafting CB's then we would be in desperate need of another one

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    mock drafts this early are next to worthless, none of them have any clue right now where anyone is going

the one good thing to take from them is what positions people think we are in need of. seems like CB, OLB and ILB are the positions everyone thinks we need. which would mark about the 5th offseason in a row where those were our biggest needs

i've also seen 1 or 2 sites having us taking a TE, which i think is a complete waste in fat mikes offense. and one site having us taking a DT, which i think might be our strongest position

i'd like to see more mocks having us taking a top tier WR, we need someone other then adams to get open and make plays
    I think it will be OLB, CB or WR in Round 1. Is Ridley good enough to draft that high?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i don't know if there's a lot of pass rush talent in free agency

and if we had such a good track record drafting CB's then we would be in desperate need of another one
    Packers have gone through more talent at CB in last six years than the Bears have had in two decades. They just get injured, career ends early or we mishandle them and ship them off to second contract somewhere else.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packers picks in Draftwire 4 round Mock Draft. http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/0...r-bowl-week/2/

1. Harold Landry - Edge - Boston College
    2. James Washington - WR - Oklahoms St.
    3. Mike Gersicki - TE - Penn St.
    4. Jack Cichy - LB - Wisconsin

I'd love Washington in the 2nd round. What do Badger fans think of Cichy?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I like Cichy, but he is always hurt. He's not a starter, just a spot pass rusher, IMO.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers picks in Draftwire 4 round Mock Draft. http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/0...r-bowl-week/2/

Projecting him a pro on 2 memorable games and a handful of other plays seems dangerous. He seems small to me but I don't know his measurables. He played mostly inside

Packers have a lot of picks. Could be a good year for it.
    I'm with you on this. With 106 underclassmen declared so far, it will change the whole complexion of the draft.

profootball focus also had us picking landry...

profootballfocus.com 2018-nfl-mock-draft-2

They got the priority of positions right. What I could find out on Landry was not too hot - very unspectacular stats and kinda short at 6'3 for an edge rusher. I like what I read about Marcus Davenport better.

Washington does seem too good to last until mid second round. He's a deep threat that would be nice to get.

Gesicki seems stiff even though he isn't overly big. I think we could do better farther down in the draft. I will be watching for him in the Senior Bowl though. We need Jimmy Graham plus a mid round athletic draft pick TE even if he's a project.

My heart says Cichy in the 4th is good. My head says he will be around in the 5th or 6th and would be a bargain then. What I really want is Clay Matthews at ILB paired with Martinez. Then we don't really need to draft one.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    They got the priority of positions right. What I could find out on Landry was not too hot - very unspectacular stats and kinda short at 6'3 for an edge rusher. I like what I read about Marcus Davenport better.

Washington does seem too good to last until mid second round. He's a deep threat that would be nice to get.

Gesicki seems stiff even though he isn't overly big. I think we could do better farther down in the draft. I will be watching for him in the Senior Bowl though. We need Jimmy Graham plus a mid round athletic draft pick TE even if he's a project.

My heart says Cichy in the 4th is good. My head says he will be around in the 5th or 6th and would be a bargain then. What I really want is Clay Matthews at ILB paired with Martinez. Then we don't really need to draft one.
    Landry had an ankle injury in 2017 which caused him to miss their last 5 games. He was dominant in 2016 with 16 sacks. His draft position could well depend on whether teams feel the ankle is still an issue.

Landry had an ankle injury in 2017 which caused him to miss their last 5 games. He was dominant in 2016 with 16 sacks. His draft position could well depend on whether teams feel the ankle is still an issue.
    What kind of injury was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I'm guessing it's an ankle sprain. I've read nothing to indicate surgery was needed. He does not appear to be on the Senior Bowl roster, although he was invited. Guess we'll have to wait until the Combine to find out about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    His stats were not very good in '17 even before he missed those games. Maybe he was playing injured the first 6 or 7 games.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    His stats were not very good in '17 even before he missed those games. Maybe he was playing injured the first 6 or 7 games.
    Could be. Or maybe he was getting double-teamed a lot because he was so good in 2016. Film often tells more than stats.