Thread: Mike Pettine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    There is no such thing as an alternative to draft and develop.
    "Draft and develop" is nothing but a lame excuse incompetent GMs/coaches use to buy time. NFL stands for "Not for Long," doesn't it?

Quarterback is possibly the only position in the NFL in which further "development" is necessary. College is for development. The NFL is for improvement. In other words, players develop in college and in the NFL they seek to get better. As Wolf liked to say, you either can play or you can't in the NFL. An NFL player has to continue getting better, or more likely than not, he will get replaced. You draft a Deshawn Wynn, you get a Deshawn Wynn. You're not gonna "develop" Wynn into a Adrian Peterson.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    "Draft and develop" is nothing but a lame excuse incompetent GMs/coaches use to buy time. NFL stands for "Not for Long," doesn't it?

Quarterback is possibly the only position in the NFL in which further "development" is necessary. College is for development. The NFL is for improvement. In other words, players develop in college and in the NFL they seek to get better. As Wolf liked to say, you either can play or you can't in the NFL. An NFL player has to continue getting better, or more likely than not, he will get replaced. You draft a Deshawn Wynn, you get a Deshawn Wynn. You're not gonna "develop" Wynn into a Adrian Peterson.
    College's do less development than ever before as practice time has dwindled. Also hurts when college schemes don't match the pros.

NFL relies more and more on younger players as salary cap make the young ones much less expensive.

Develop is more important than ever.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.