Thread: Mike Pettine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    VERY impressed with his PC. http://www.packers.com/media-center/...e-611db29872efMaybe it's the Kool-aid kicking in.

Few things that stood out. He talked about how you used to go into a game with 50-60 defensive calls, and now it's down to 20-25. He said the reason is you're using younger players, and CBA has reduced time you can spend with the players. I wonder if this is an adjustment Capers was unable to make.

He said he has no desire to be a HC again. Said he missed the day to day camaraderie and coaching. More administrative responsibilities as a HC. Which means he could be here a while if he does well.

Talked about the 3-4/4-3 distinction being pretty much a thing of the past. Said you want to look multiple to opponents without becoming too complex. Talked about the versatility of Clay Matthews.
    And MM talks about the need to play physical and run the ball well and then the game starts.

I hope he means everything he says. But I treat coaches like I treat politicians. I don't much care what their lips say as much as what their actions say.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

And incidentally Wolf has exactly as many Lombardi trophies sitting in the packer hall of fame as TT does.

Ron wolf took the expansion Buccaneers to an 0-26 start before leaving the franchise. He never won a superbowl as a GM anywhere else. You guys deify him like he is some epoch success. TT built the seahawks team that went to the superbowl for Holmgren and he won a SB in GB with a QB everyone was pissed that he drafted.

Tell me why people think Wolf was so much better than TT?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Ron wolf took the expansion Buccaneers to an 0-26 start before leaving the franchise. He never won a superbowl as a GM anywhere else. You guys deify him like he is some epoch success. TT built the seahawks team that went to the superbowl for Holmgren and he won a SB in GB with a QB everyone was pissed that he drafted.

And he left the Packers in the hands of Sherman....

Quote Originally Posted by ZachMN View Post
    And he left the Packers in the hands of Sherman....
    And 1 glorious year of Ray Rhodes...

Bobble, its easy to understand. Wolf was very good at answering the phone for reporters and answering questions in a snappy format during press conferences.

Its not yet dawned on the GB press corps (for that matter, the national press corp) that they were snowed.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Can I choose both? I thought they were both pretty awesome. Wolf's last (or second-to-last, depending on which story you believe) GM year, 2000, was one for the ages. Should have netted the Packers a SB in 2002, APRH, and maybe 2003, ANFBF (assuming no Favre brain fart). Brought in Green (on Sherman's recommendation) in a total steal of a trade and 4-5 very productive starters in the draft.

BG has two pair of huge shoes to fill.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck