Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Mike Pettine

http://www.wbay.com/content/news/Mik...472170413.html

Here's what he said during his chat with Dave:

MIKE PETTINE

"I love him. I absolutely love him. He's a really angry, no BS Jersey dude. He's going to hurt some people's feelings. and we need that. I'm excited to get to work with him. And he's excited. He's going to get after you.

"I met with him. We talked. He's definitely the kind of guy that we want, the kind of guy that we need. I'm going to say he's going to do really great things for us. And he already is. I'm excited. I can't wait to go back.

"We've always had the pieces, and now he's ready to put them together. He just has the attitude we've been missing. We've been missing it. He has it. He's ready to bring it out. He told me that himself. It's going to be an interesting film room with him. He's not afraid of holding guys accountable. And if you want to debate if you had a good play or not, he'll go right to the tape."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Sometimes I forget that McCarthy likes to hire people who remind him of himself. Or perhaps more accurately, people who he feels like he knows already.

Pennsylvania roots

A native of Doylestown, Pa., Pettine got his start in coaching as a graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh in 1993-94 before serving as the head coach at North Penn High School Towamencin Township, Pa., and William Tennent High School in Warminster, Pa.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...#ixzz5AlYq8jiC
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Stop taping it to the back of her head.
    Wouldn't that be the top of her head?

Or her forehead. Depends on the position. Kinda like deciding where to play Clay Matthews.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Pettine places emphasis on inside pass rush. This goes back to his days as jets DC.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...-mike-pettine/

The Packers new defensive coordinator places a premium on rushing the passer from the inside.

“That’s where it starts. It starts up front. People talk about the exterior pass rush, I think the interior pass rush is as important or maybe potentially more important,” Pettine said Thursday. “If you can be dominant inside, I think that has a ripple effect throughout your defense.”

The idea stems from improvements made by offenses in terms of taking away edge pass-rush. Teams can always chip an edge rusher, assign double teams or slide protection one way or another, but a strong rusher from the inside is harder to take away. Almost always, at least one interior rusher will face a single blocker.

“It’s much easier to negate an edge pass rusher than it is an inside dominant guy. You can force offenses to block them one-on-one,” Pettine said. “Offenses have gotten very good at negating edge rushers.”

Pettine’s prioritization of the inside pass-rush was born out of years of working under Rex Ryan, who consistently used top draft picks on interior disruptors. The goal for any pass-rush is always to collapse the pocket around the quarterback, creating disrupted throwing lanes and throwing platforms. While edge rushers can turn the corner and disrupt quarterbacks, the quickest way to a collapsed pocket is right up the middle.

“It’s something I learned from Rex a long time ago,” Pettine said. “You have to have guys winning inside. Even if you have great edge rushers, great speed rush, if the pocket’s not collapsed, it’s a clean pocket to step up into. It’s paramount that you have guys that can win inside.”

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Pettine places emphasis on inside pass rush. This goes back to his days as jets DC.

My kind of guy! It's why I think they wanted to draft Da'Ron Payne or Vita Vea.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

We've got some horses to carry out that inside pass rush. Hopefully it will happen. I've seen Aaron Rodgers roll out and away from an inside pass rush so many times, though, that I have some doubts about the effectiveness. Of course, not every team as a mobile QB, and nobody else has Aaron Rodgers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Rodgers, if he stays healthy, will put a lot of points on the board. If the Pack can, after all these years, just field an average defense, great things are possible.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Here's what we could have had:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/201...2018-nfl-draft

Buffalo Bills’ defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier is enamored by first-round pick Tremaine Edmunds

He was given a comparison similar to Tre’Davious White

By: Dylan Zadonowicz@DylanZadonowicz Jun 2, 2018, 9:00am EDT
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

TT left them in good shape on this with Clark and Daniels. Addition of Wilkerson completes the package.

I think we are going to learn real fast that Dom was the problem not TT. Of course having Jackson slip to us in the second helped a lot. Possibly best value pick of first 2 rounds.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Here's what we could have had:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/201...2018-nfl-draft

Buffalo Bills’ defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier is enamored by first-round pick Tremaine Edmunds

He was given a comparison similar to Tre’Davious White

By: Dylan Zadonowicz@DylanZadonowicz Jun 2, 2018, 9:00am EDT

Has Tremaine Edmunds picked off Aaron Rodgers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    TT left them in good shape on this with Clark and Daniels. Addition of Wilkerson completes the package.

I think we are going to learn real fast that Dom was the problem not TT. Of course having Jackson slip to us in the second helped a lot. Possibly best value pick of first 2 rounds.
    https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects

If The Packers stay at NO. 14 they get 'the absolute BEST Value Pick' in the DRAFT and grab a need The Packers have had for a long time and 'a STAR Impact Player and Defensive Captain for a decade' in the NO. 4 Ranked Overall Graded Prospect - Tremaine Edmunds- ILB - VIRGINIA TECH - GRADE 7.17 - (Typ. NFL.COM Grades) who actually went Rnd 1, Pick 16 to the Buffalo Bills.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/pr...e=2&status=ALL

Getting CB - Josh Jackson - IOWA and Graded at 6.00 at what Pick No. 44 was good value as he was the NO. 24th Ranked Prospect in this 2018 NFL DRAFT.

Note: CB Jaire Alexander - Louisville was Graded at 6.03 and the NO. 24th Ranked Prospect in the DRAFT and was picked by Green Bay in Rd. 1 Pick NO. 18.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 06-04-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects

If The Packers stay at NO. 14 they get 'the absolute BEST Value Pick' in the DRAFT and grab a need The Packers have had for a long time and 'a STAR Impact Player and Defensive Captain for a decade' in the NO. 4 Ranked Overall Graded Prospect - Tremaine Edmunds- ILB - VIRGINIA TECH - GRADE 7.17 - (Typ. NFL.COM Grades) who actually went Rnd 1, Pick 16 to the Buffalo Bills.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/pr...e=2&status=ALL

Getting CB - Josh Jackson - IOWA and Graded at 6.00 at what Pick No. 44 was good value as he was the NO. 24th Ranked Prospect in this 2018 NFL DRAFT.

Note: CB Jaire Alexander - Louisville was Graded at 6.03 and the NO. 24th Ranked Prospect in the DRAFT and was picked by Green Bay in Rd. 1 Pick NO. 18.
    Interceptions of Aaron Rodgers:

Jaire Alexander = 1
    Tremaine Edmunds = 0

Who cares what their college careers amounted to. Alexander off to much better pro start.

In terms of things that sound great as cliches, but aren't always great in reality, I worry about interior pass rush as our calling card if the second level is unaware and doesn't adjust to cover running lanes.

Trubisky is young and possibly has some mobility not pounded out of him yet. I don't consider Stafford or Cousins to be dual threats, so that's nice. I hate the highlights when contain is lost, along with the pocket, and a QB takes it for a first down. However, it is nice to see a big ugly wrap up a QB with a pelvis-to-pelvis bear hug.
    Last edited by NewsBruin; 06-04-2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: To sound more optimistic than my first take.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I am guessing that Tony Mandarich was graded much higher than Tremaine Edwards. A can't miss pick by the Packers, that we all know how it turned out.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Has Tremaine Edmunds picked off Aaron Rodgers yet?
    Specifically pbmax, what's your point and this Post?

Why as it is (and we don't know how any 2018 Prospect will make out and their leap from College Football to the NFL) is it the style here by many, to deride any prospect not a Packer?

Tremaine Edmunds is 'an extraordinary Prospect by all Reports', and based on a grade of 7.17 was drafted to be a Special Talent in the NFL by the Buffalo.

Only three Prospects in the 2018 DRAFT were graded higher than LBer Tremaine Edmunds and so far the Reports on him out of the Buffalo Bills OTA'a are extremely positive:

RB Saquon Barkley - PENN ST. Rnd 1, Pick 2 - New York Giants - Grade 7.45

Guard Quenton Nelson - NOTRE DAME Rnd 1, Pick 6 - Indianapolis Colts - Grade 7.34

DE Bradley Chubb - N.C. STATE - Rnd 1, Pick 5 - Denver Broncos - Grade 7.32

What is on record now and our new DC Mike Pettine who has clearly stated that he wants his Pass Rush to come from the inside rather than the EDGE. Even Mathematically Pettine makes sense. The shortest distance between two Points now comes into view and a Pass Rush. i

Let's look at this in simple terms or view it and a Triangle:

A triangle where the apexis represented by 'the Target'of the Pass Rush or the opposition's QB. The left and right hand points or the extreme points of the Defensive Base of the Triangle are two EDGE Rushers positioned off the LOS and Left and Right Tackles or more skilled OLman than the Guards.

Now look at the Inside Lber position and the Straight line Principle.

That ILber is closer to 'the Target or QB' than the two or one EDGE Rusher (s) out on the Base of the Triangle. The ILber has a shorter straight line to the Target as supported by what Packer DC Mike Pettine is describing as his preferred Pass Rush Scheme.

Imagine the Packer 'D' and a RARE talent like LB (ILB) Tremaine Edmunds and in the middle of that Baseline Packer Triangular 'D" and Pass Rush scheme and first down or 3rd and long.

How can you possibly with all your Football Technical knowledge; not wish the Packers hadn't drafted ILB Tremaine Edmunds GRADE 7.17, over a CB Jaire Alexander Graded at 6.03?

You know this pbmax:

There's 'a basic Rule' of Drafting Regimen. Basically and it's 'of course' not written in stone:

You Draft inside out and front to back.

When you see the chance of a Tremaine Edmunds with his outstanding Top Five Draft Grade of 7.17 possibly falling to you.

You don't trade all the way back from NO. 14 to New Orleans at what? NO. 27, (that in all likelihood) will return a late First Round Pick in the 2019 Draft.

The New Orleans Saints are a solid or Vegas Favourite to make the Playoffs this Season.

Toss away an opportunity for that Top Five Draft Tallent (Tremaine Edmunds or Derwin James) . Then panic and move all the way back to Pick NO. 18 and draft what they did, and in that process trade your Third Round Pick in the2018 Draft.

Rather:

You sit at NO. 14 and look for the likes of 'a Tremaine Edmunds' (Grade - SEVEN POINT SEVENTEEN) or Safety Derwin James ( Prospect Grade - 6.44) and Ranked as the Ninth Best Prospect by Grade, to 'fall to you'.

The Packers would have absolutely killed this Draft with at NO. 14 Drafting ILB Tremaine Edmunds and supporting perfectly Mike Pettine's needs and his Pass Rush Schemes; and exactly as they did; 'luck out' with a great Value Pick at Rd. 2 NO. 44 and snapping CB Joshua Jackson.

IIRC last year Josh Jones was flying all over making plays like a stud in helmets and shorts.
    I've learned not to get caught up in camp hype. GB's coaches are raving about Kizer and McCray, for heaven's sake.

When it gets to live action I think Edwards be a good player but it will take him some time. Probably a season or two to get the hang of it.

Love the snark re: ARod INT's, BTW.

Mike Mayock had Edmunds #11 and Alexander #12 on his big board.

Specifically pbmax, what's your point and this Post?

How can you possibly with all your Football Technical knowledge; not wish the Packers hadn't drafted ILB Tremaine Edmunds GRADE 7.17, over a CB Jaire Alexander Graded at 6.03?
    I doubt you will address this because you have failed to respond before, but here is the crux of my argument over your point above.

The draft grades you cite above are:

1. Anonymous (can you tell me who did the scouting and evaluating at NFL.com?)
    2. Contain unwarranted precision. NFL grades are often on an eight point scale. Two decimal points makes it look precise, but its just an average.
    3. An average: And we don't know how many numbers are averaged. The more evaluators, especially if we know their track record, the more reliable this number would be.
    4. On an unknown scale of magnitude. We have no information about how certain a 1.14 grade differential makes in the prospects chances to perform at a high level. Is this the difference between mid first and high second round?
    5. Need. You say that Edmunds was the perfect fit for Pettine. Packers needs were OLB and CB. Explain the better fit here.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    IIRC last year Josh Jones was flying all over making plays like a stud in helmets and shorts.
    I've learned not to get caught up in camp hype. GB's coaches are raving about Kizer and McCray, for heaven's sake.

When it gets to live action I think Edwards be a good player but it will take him some time. Probably a season or two to get the hang of it.

Love the snark re: ARod INT's, BTW.
    Yes but what was Jones' draft rating in 2017?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.