Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DSKA: Defense Supplies Kool Aid

DSKA: Defense Supplies Kool Aid

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...out-watch-2018

There is danger here of the Trope Alert sounding. Capers became an unpopular figure, his ample, fuzzy hair standing in contrast to new coordinator Mike Pettine's sleek, bare approach. Pettine has promised his players to K.I.L.L. (keep it likable and learnable) with a system Daniels calls very complex, but very simple at the same time. Any new coordinator figured to be popular in Green Bay, but few have the track record that Pettine boasts as a coordinator with the Jets and Bills. He's a master at maximizing secondary play and creating mismatches. More importantly, few defenses boast more firepower at every level than the Packers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Can Pettiness turn cow manures into burgers?

Until proven otherwise, the current corners don’t scare any Hundley-clone QBs and the safeties are haha laughingstocks.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 06-18-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Grammar

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Kyler Fackrell is pure Firepower
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Isn't that the same NFL.com that gave us the rating system for this year's draft?
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

gotta see it to believe it. it starts with attitude though.

It starts on the defensive line, where it's hard to argue when Daniels calls himself the most complete lineman in football because of his ability to maintain his gap, leverage and hand placement. He felt like the old system "took away" from many of his strengths, which makes his disruption more impressive.
    Should I read into this that Pettine's defense is more of a 1 gap defense?
    Last edited by Joemailman; 06-18-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Isn't that the same NFL.com that gave us the rating system for this year's draft?
    Yep. They graded the Packers having an elite draft.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Its definitely a 1-gap defense from previous write ups.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Well, yes.

But we know who wrote the article (Greg(g) Rosenthal) but we still don't know who the scouts are at NFL.com

We've got no linebackers.

I like what Gute did in the secondary, but those guys are going to have some growing pains; and, I like the potential of the young DL, but it's not like they've produced yet. Daniels is the only proven player up there.

Perry is a one-armed man just waiting to get hurt; Matthews is past his prime and will miss games; there's exactly no depth at OLB; and, we don't have a single ILB on the roster that's even average.

Dunderdummy made a mess of everything year in and year out, so I expect we'll be better simply b/c of his subtraction... we'll see what Pettine can do. I'm cautiously optimistic about him.
    wist

Wist in a Kool-Aid thread is like a bull in a china shop.

Blog Entries
    Pettine will play 99% 1 gap. Any 2 gap stuff will be specialty looks, not a standard defense. Daniels and Wilkerson are the only two DL's that could be effective in 2 gap. Daniels does't want to play 2 gap and Wilkerson is more of a 5 technique anyway.

The game had passed Capers by. Pettine's track record suggests he knows what he is doing. I am encouraged.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

I would be quite pleased with a BALA defense (Be At Least Average)
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Perry is a one-armed man just waiting to get hurt; Matthews is past his prime and will miss games; there's exactly no depth at OLB; and, we don't have a single ILB on the roster that's even average.
    Truth meter says: mostly true

Except I thought that Salt n Pepper (or Chico and the Man or whatever the nickname for inside linebackers is) came on to respectability in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Truth meter says: mostly true

Except I thought that Salt n Pepper (or Chico and the Man or whatever the nickname for inside linebackers is) came on to respectability in 2017.
    Martinez has a chance to be decent... just don't think Ryan has the athletic ability to get any better, and to date he hasn't been good enough.

Burks?? I'd be shocked if he he sees much playing time at all as a rookie.
    wist

Wist in a Kool-Aid thread is like a bull in a china shop.
    Just trying to keep y'alls feet on the ground... off season optimism is like cocaine for Packer fans
    wist

A Healthy Aaron Rodgers and no improvement whatsoever otherwise, and the Packers are top 4 or 5 in the whole NFL. There's legitimate reason to think the D will be improved - the Capers haters got their way; potentially great improvement at Corner; probable better D Line play; at least no worse at OLB, etc.

I say the sky's the limit.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Having a decent rusher for each edge is quite a luxury. Healthy Matthews and healthy Perry is more than we won the SB with. It'd be nice if at least one of them earned most of their salary this season. Nothing wrong with assuming lady luck is on your roster, you're going to need her to win the SB anyways no matter how stacked your team is.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Having a decent rusher for each edge is quite a luxury. Healthy Matthews and healthy Perry is more than we won the SB with. It'd be nice if at least one of them earned most of their salary this season. Nothing wrong with assuming lady luck is on your roster, you're going to need her to win the SB anyways no matter how stacked your team is.
    Absolutely. Packers had 20.5 sacks from OLB's in 2010. 13.5 from Matthews. Guys like Beigel, Gilbert and maybe even Holy Fackrell could be a better supporting cast than Poppinga and Zombo were.