Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Pettine

Mike Pettine

VERY impressed with his PC. http://www.packers.com/media-center/...e-611db29872efMaybe it's the Kool-aid kicking in.

Few things that stood out. He talked about how you used to go into a game with 50-60 defensive calls, and now it's down to 20-25. He said the reason is you're using younger players, and CBA has reduced time you can spend with the players. I wonder if this is an adjustment Capers was unable to make.

He said he has no desire to be a HC again. Said he missed the day to day camaraderie and coaching. More administrative responsibilities as a HC. Which means he could be here a while if he does well.

Talked about the 3-4/4-3 distinction being pretty much a thing of the past. Said you want to look multiple to opponents without becoming too complex. Talked about the versatility of Clay Matthews.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 01-24-2018 at 08:16 PM.

I just hope he spends more time at the Golden Corral so we can eventually call him "Heavy Pettine"
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

I agree, Joe. Clearly a smart guy. Hasn’t been dropped on his head too many times. Pretty darn articulate.

lets hope we see more 4/3 to go with the 3/4 and less 2/5, 1/6 and 0/12 looks or whatever the hell kind of shit capers used

He nailed that presser. I wonder if we'll see the formation the Ravens used to (maybe still do) run where it seems like every body but the corners is in the box and could blitz. I loved that stuff.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I just hope he spends more time at the Golden Corral so we can eventually call him "Heavy Pettine"
    Hefty Poutine?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Finally a bald and shaved head defensive coordinator. Its about time.

Capers definitely simplified his D in the last two years (DB injuries) and I would be stunned if some paring had not happened before. Problem was that veteran QBs knew what they were getting, it wasn't fooling anyone. Plus it did not look like they were disguising much pre snap. Never heard about that. They did do some hybrid man and zone coverages.

But its hard to create a simple for you, complex for offense to read defense from concepts based in a 1992. Hopefully he took away some more current day concepts from Ryan and Carroll.

Truth be told though, if he makes them play fast and assignment sure, I will be happy with his hire. Then all they need is pass rush.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Then all they need is pass rush.
    This is the bottom line. I'm on board with the Tom Coughlin philosophy - pass rush from the front four alleviates many other defensive shortcomings. You get this area solved and your defense will hum, even if you have some holes on the back end. Of course, personnel-wise, it's not easy. But it works.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    This is the bottom line. I'm on board with the Tom Coughlin philosophy - pass rush from the front four alleviates many other defensive shortcomings. You get this area solved and your defense will hum, even if you have some holes on the back end. Of course, personnel-wise, it's not easy. But it works.
    IMO, the D-line was what made the '96 Packers defense great (LeRoy Butler notwithstanding): Reggie, Gilbert, Santana Dotson and Sean Jones.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    IMO, the D-line was what made the '96 Packers defense great (LeRoy Butler notwithstanding): Reggie, Gilbert, Santana Dotson and Sean Jones.
    Belichickism.

All were free agent acquisitions
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Belichickism.

true, but Reggie was a once in an epoch kind of acquisition. Without him, the whole Packer revival does not happen. Even with Favre.

I've liked the guy since i first saw him in the documentary "The Last Game" when he was coaching high school football. Maybe I'll try to get him to autograph it (bought a copy in college 16 years ago).
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Belichickism.

I was about to say the same thing. Best d-line in team history and none of them drafted by us

Isn’t it ironic, don’t cha think?

Belichickism.

But, but, draft and develop. Free agents are some form of black magic.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    *Yawn* Zzzzzzzzz
    Ted is gone, get over it. The Draft and Develop system is great at getting an over priced, over aged team young and under the salary cap. Did Ted stay with it too long? I bet most will agree, get over it.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    You constitutive complainers are boring drones. Really. Under TT, Packers picked up few free agents. But when they did, they typically helped. Woodson, Pickett, Peppers, to a lesser extent Brooks, and even Green off the scrap heap.

Instead of the boring and repetitive complaining, how about a decent run-down of possible FA guys and why you'd sign 'em.

Or do a thorough analysis of FA defensive linemen and OLBs signed around the league from last season and see who worked, who failed and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    VERY impressed with his PC. http://www.packers.com/media-center/...e-611db29872efMaybe it's the Kool-aid kicking in.

Few things that stood out. He talked about how you used to go into a game with 50-60 defensive calls, and now it's down to 20-25. He said the reason is you're using younger players, and CBA has reduced time you can spend with the players. I wonder if this is an adjustment Capers was unable to make.

He said he has no desire to be a HC again. Said he missed the day to day camaraderie and coaching. More administrative responsibilities as a HC. Which means he could be here a while if he does well.

Talked about the 3-4/4-3 distinction being pretty much a thing of the past. Said you want to look multiple to opponents without becoming too complex. Talked about the versatility of Clay Matthews.
    And MM talks about the need to play physical and run the ball well and then the game starts.

I hope he means everything he says. But I treat coaches like I treat politicians. I don't much care what their lips say as much as what their actions say.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I was about to say the same thing. Best d-line in team history and none of them drafted by us

Isn’t it ironic, don’t cha think?
    A lot of Packer fans would argue that the 1962 D-line was the best in team history (Willie Davis, Henry Jordan, Dave Hanner, Bill Quinlan). Davis and Jordan are in the NFL HOF. Of those four only one (Hanner) was drafted by us.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Belichickism.

So when is Reggie White going to become available in FA again? I mean, the game today is exactly the same as the game in 1996 right? I mean teams that have signed the biggest name FA win superbowls right? Albert Haynesworth, Josh Norman, Aaron Kampman (to jaguars), Julius Peppers (to Bears), Jared Allen, and I could go on, but that is just off the top of my head.

Ron Wolf took advantage of the infancy of FA and the fact that he had a publicly owned team that had a mountain of cash on hand and he bought a super bowl by paying Reggie whatever he wanted. Reggie was the greatest Defensive player of all time (imo). Don't get me wrong, if Khalil Mack or Von Miller become available I'm all for spending some money, but to overpay for AJ bouye...no thanks.

TTs biggest FA mistakes were not resigning some of his own like Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde. Overpaying Clay Mathews to be an elite pass rusher when he never was.

The problem with this team for awhile has been Dom Capers and occasionally mike mccarthy, and often injuries. There is adequate talent on the field to win with. I could on for hours about MM forgetting that running the ball is an option, or him and Dom not realizing Clay mathews could be an elite ILB, but merely above average OLB. Bottom line though is they were successful, but not Patriots successful. I was ready for some change...mainly Capers. Instead I fear we lost a great GM who was smart enough not to give in to the whims of fans. Every fan of every team believes they are ONE player from the superbowl. That is rarely the case.

And incidentally Wolf has exactly as many Lombardi trophies sitting in the packer hall of fame as TT does.