Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Pettine

Ron wolf took the expansion Buccaneers to an 0-26 start before leaving the franchise. He never won a superbowl as a GM anywhere else. You guys deify him like he is some epoch success. TT built the seahawks team that went to the superbowl for Holmgren and he won a SB in GB with a QB everyone was pissed that he drafted.

Tell me why people think Wolf was so much better than TT?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Ron wolf took the expansion Buccaneers to an 0-26 start before leaving the franchise. He never won a superbowl as a GM anywhere else. You guys deify him like he is some epoch success. TT built the seahawks team that went to the superbowl for Holmgren and he won a SB in GB with a QB everyone was pissed that he drafted.

And he left the Packers in the hands of Sherman....

Quote Originally Posted by ZachMN View Post
    And he left the Packers in the hands of Sherman....
    And 1 glorious year of Ray Rhodes...

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I was about to say the same thing. Best d-line in team history and none of them drafted by us

Isn’t it ironic, don’t cha think?
    Too bad he couldn't sustain it.

Super Bowl I Don't Care: https://twitter.com/Terrell_Davis/st...48009315516424
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Belichickism.

All were free agent acquisitions
    Gilbert was a street free agent. None of the malcontents is asking for more of them.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Bobble, its easy to understand. Wolf was very good at answering the phone for reporters and answering questions in a snappy format during press conferences.

Its not yet dawned on the GB press corps (for that matter, the national press corp) that they were snowed.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Can I choose both? I thought they were both pretty awesome. Wolf's last (or second-to-last, depending on which story you believe) GM year, 2000, was one for the ages. Should have netted the Packers a SB in 2002, APRH, and maybe 2003, ANFBF (assuming no Favre brain fart). Brought in Green (on Sherman's recommendation) in a total steal of a trade and 4-5 very productive starters in the draft.

BG has two pair of huge shoes to fill.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

lets hope we see more 4/3 to go with the 3/4 and less 2/5, 1/6 and 0/12 looks or whatever the hell kind of shit capers used
    The nickel defense is now the base defense in the NFL. The problem was not that the Packers played too much nickel and dime. The problem was that they did not play it well.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...81baafb1c.html
    This quote stood out for me:
    “The cornerstone for us is going to be, first of all, fundamentally sound, smart football,” Pettine said. “We coach the heck out of the little details. If you want to get into the schematic stuff, I like to appear multiple. I know people have said the system can be very complicated, but we like to appear multiple without necessarily putting that much stuff in.”
    It sounds like the defense will be fundamentally sound and not be overly complex, but just appear that way. I really like the sound of that, and I hope he pulls it off with the players he has available.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...81baafb1c.html
    This quote stood out for me:

It sounds like the defense will be fundamentally sound and not be overly complex, but just appear that way. I really like the sound of that, and I hope he pulls it off with the players he has available.
    It's kind of just the opposite of what I saw from the Packers defense this past year. The defense seemed too complex for some of the Packer players to grasp, but it didn't seem to fool the opposition.

n the next few months, Pettine will be evaluating this roster to see what he has and see what it can do. The “cupboard isn’t bare,” Pettine remarked.

“In the NFL, it’s all about the players,” Pettine said. “I’ve always been a big believer in having a system and building your roster that way but you have to work with who you have on campus. You can’t win with players you don’t have.”
    Last edited by Joemailman; 01-25-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's kind of just the opposite of what I saw from the Packers defense this past year. The defense seemed too complex for some of the Packer players to grasp, but it didn't seem to fool the opposition.
    Just remember that the phrase MadScientist quoted is the new version of "we want to be aggressive". Everyone wants to do it, few can.

We'll see. For the record, just as Capers had to scale his D back, Pettine and Ryan had to scale back their D in recent years in response to offenses picking up the pace plus going no huddle. Pettine's defenses slipped with the Jets and they mutually parted ways to go to Buffalo.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-26-2018 at 11:08 AM.

I have to say the overall rankings from Football Outsiders (last three numbers) are very good for six of these years. but his pass D relies on a pass rush the Packers don't have right now. Without bolstering it, I think its Capers redux. There will be a bump due to unfamiliarity for at least the first eight games.

Code:
                         Overall           FO Rankings
    Year     Tm Role Tms WL% T/G Pts Yds   Ovr Pas Run
    2009    NYJ   DC  32  11  16   7   5     1   1   7
    2010    NYJ   DC  32   5   5   8   6     5   7   2
    2011    NYJ   DC  32  13  19  15  15     2   2   4
    2012    NYJ   DC  32  23  29  26  23     9  10  15
    2013    BUF   DC  32  24  12  22  16     4   2  19
    2014    CLE   HC  32  20   9  25  26    11   2  31
    2015    CLE   HC  32  31  28  32  28    29  27  26
    Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 1/26/2018.

I was about to say the same thing. Best d-line in team history and none of them drafted by us

Isn’t it ironic, don’t cha think?

Not really. There was no salary cap back then.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I have to say the overall rankings from Football Outsiders (last three numbers) are very good for six of these years. but his pass D relies on a pass rush the Packers don't have right now. Without bolstering it, I think its Capers redux. There will be a bump due to unfamiliarity for at least the first eight games.

Code:
                         Overall           FO Rankings
    Year     Tm Role Tms WL% T/G Pts Yds   Ovr Pas Run
    2009    NYJ   DC  32  11  16   7   5     1   1   7
    2010    NYJ   DC  32   5   5   8   6     5   7   2
    2011    NYJ   DC  32  13  19  15  15     2   2   4
    2012    NYJ   DC  32  23  29  26  23     9  10  15
    2013    BUF   DC  32  24  12  22  16     4   2  19
    2014    CLE   HC  32  20   9  25  26    11   2  31
    2015    CLE   HC  32  31  28  32  28    29  27  26
    Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 1/26/2018.
    Does Cleveland count as he was "90% administrative and 10% football"? As an aside, this is why Edgar Bennett lost the OC job. McCarthy may call the plays, but he doesn't instill the offense and get it prepared (my read based on snippets of information here and there).
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Not really. There was no salary cap back then.
    There was, but Reggie was first at the feed bucket.

After that, the Packers were in good cap shape for a while as everyone else tried to sign lesser Reggie's to more money.

Sean Jones they got because he was near the end. Dotson was a plumb get, even if he wasn't a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Does Cleveland count as he was "90% administrative and 10% football"? As an aside, this is why Edgar Bennett lost the OC job. McCarthy may call the plays, but he doesn't instill the offense and get it prepared (my read based on snippets of information here and there).
    Not as much as when he was DC. But it was his defense he installed, so you can't ignore it.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    There is no such thing as an alternative to draft and develop. When you have to follow a salary cap like everyone else, the path to a better team than everyone else is to hit your draft picks. Get great players on ridiculously underpriced rookie contracts. Every good team has this working for them.

Furthermore the free agency of Ron Wolf's day is very different from early Ted's day and starting to change again right now. Players like Reggie White will only hit free agency again in the rarest of circumstances. That was a different world. By Ted's day FA was something that bad teams did to get to the salary cap and good teams to put fingers in the dike. In this time period one of the best signings ever was Woodson and he was considered a major risk. Today FA is still retreads and risks but what's changing is the salary cap is exploding faster than contracts can keep up. Teams have money so might as well get some mercenaries to sure up the ranks.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    You constitutive complainers are boring drones. Really. Under TT, Packers picked up few free agents. But when they did, they typically helped. Woodson, Pickett, Peppers, to a lesser extent Brooks, and even Green off the scrap heap.

Instead of the boring and repetitive complaining, how about a decent run-down of possible FA guys and why you'd sign 'em.

Or do a thorough analysis of FA defensive linemen and OLBs signed around the league from last season and see who worked, who failed and why.
    Belichickism is not about signing every hotshot free agent every offseason. Instead, it's about utilizing ALL aspects -draft, trade, free agency - of players acquisition to improve/upgrade your roster, regularly and competently.

Yes, the Packers made it all the way to the NFC Title game without Randy Fucking Moss, bah, bah, bah. But would the Pack have been a more potent team with Moss? No doubt. Todd (we'll never forget you!) should've traded for Moss long before the Great Belichick had the chance to steal Moss away.

Deshawn Wynn is your best RB and Beast Mode's available - Trade for the Beast, already! MD Fucking Jennings is your starting FS, well, sign TJ Ward! A still-awesome Tony Gonzalez says he would love to play in Green Bay; What the fuck is the Polar Bear waiting for? Richard Rodgers is more fruitless than an apple tree on the north pole, and Vernon Davis is on the trade block; yeah, lets stick with the fruitless man. Gunter is your #1 CB; Antonio Cromartie's past his prime and on the streets of Baltimore selling dope to pay child supports, but Cro's still better than Gunter - Todd's hibernating (or loathes kneeling players). Hundley sucks and there's Kap.

Etc. Etc. Etc.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    There is no such thing as an alternative to draft and develop.
    "Draft and develop" is nothing but a lame excuse incompetent GMs/coaches use to buy time. NFL stands for "Not for Long," doesn't it?

Quarterback is possibly the only position in the NFL in which further "development" is necessary. College is for development. The NFL is for improvement. In other words, players develop in college and in the NFL they seek to get better. As Wolf liked to say, you either can play or you can't in the NFL. An NFL player has to continue getting better, or more likely than not, he will get replaced. You draft a Deshawn Wynn, you get a Deshawn Wynn. You're not gonna "develop" Wynn into a Adrian Peterson.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    There is no such thing as an alternative to draft and develop. When you have to follow a salary cap like everyone else, the path to a better team than everyone else is to hit your draft picks. Get great players on ridiculously underpriced rookie contracts. Every good team has this working for them.

Furthermore the free agency of Ron Wolf's day is very different from early Ted's day and starting to change again right now. Players like Reggie White will only hit free agency again in the rarest of circumstances. That was a different world. By Ted's day FA was something that bad teams did to get to the salary cap and good teams to put fingers in the dike. In this time period one of the best signings ever was Woodson and he was considered a major risk. Today FA is still retreads and risks but what's changing is the salary cap is exploding faster than contracts can keep up. Teams have money so might as well get some mercenaries to sure up the ranks.
    I guess you're too young to remember back in the day George Allen and the Redskins trading away virtually their entire draft almost every year. They were pretty successful at that alternative method of team building. I don't necessarily advocate that or even a modern version of it, but just saying ......

I would argue that the steadily increasing - you say exploding - salary cap makes quality free agent signing more feasible, not less than in Ron Wolf's day. Wolf of course, was way more draft and develop than most GMs - just not nearly to the extent that Ted Thompson was.

The current plight of the Packers is a direct result of Ron AND Ted's flawed way of doing things. It was masked for over two decades by the greatness of Aaron Rodgers and Favre before him, but it caught up with us last season.

What's this stuff doing in a Pettine thread instead of a Gutekunst thread?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?