Thread: Brian Gutekunst, Making No Sense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    With A-Rod getting injured for a good chunk of two separate seasons, and being 34, I have to wonder if they will try and alter the approach to the scramble drill. They have to try to keep him out of harms way. I know comparisons are often worthless, but Brady often seems like he could make and eat a sandwich in the pocket before having to throw the ball. The rest of the time, he gets the ball out of his hand quickly before the rush can even factor into the play.

Back in 2015 when the offense was struggling without Jordy, I read an article that pointed out the Packers route tree was based on isolation routes with not a lot in the area of rubs or picks from other receivers to create space. Perhaps with Philbin coming back, there will be some new wrinkles to help the offense be less dependent on the scramble drill. I know sometimes his scrambles are by design, but it would be nice to gain chunks of yardage without A-Rod having to put on his cape so often during a game. The continued development of the running game and MM's willingness to actually use it effectively would help.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    With A-Rod getting injured for a good chunk of two separate seasons, and being 34, I have to wonder if they will try and alter the approach to the scramble drill. They have to try to keep him out of harms way. I know comparisons are often worthless, but Brady often seems like he could make and eat a sandwich in the pocket before having to throw the ball. The rest of the time, he gets the ball out of his hand quickly before the rush can even factor into the play.

Back in 2015 when the offense was struggling without Jordy, I read an article that pointed out the Packers route tree was based on isolation routes with not a lot in the area of rubs or picks from other receivers to create space. Perhaps with Philbin coming back, there will be some new wrinkles to help the offense be less dependent on the scramble drill. I know sometimes his scrambles are by design, but it would be nice to gain chunks of yardage without A-Rod having to put on his cape so often during a game. The continued development of the running game and MM's willingness to actually use it effectively would help.
    CP, I kinda hope they bring back the M3/Philbin offense from before too, and not just because of 15-1 in 2011.

Much of what has happened since they tried to adjust tempo (no huddle and hurry up) has not been as reliable. The offense also can no longer rely on WR getting open deep due to multiple factors like age, no more Jones, no TE threat, lack of functional speed, etc.

I want an offense that isn't all WR screens that can beat man coverage and complete 8 passes in a row for a TD drive.

I'm not asking for much, am I?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.