Thread: Brian Gutekunst, Making No Sense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    My prediction is that Janis will never be more than a 10-20 catch/year WR. Davis still has a shot, but his window is closing.
    My prediction is Janis will never be given a chance to see what he can do, isn't his contract up this year? My guess is he goes to another team. Davis, meh...

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    My prediction is Janis will never be given a chance to see what he can do, isn't his contract up this year? My guess is he goes to another team. Davis, meh...
    I love posts like this. MM will never give Janis a shot because he hates him or some other reason. Coach and GMs and the whole staff gets judged on wins and loses. The staff is going to use every option at their disposal to win. If a player isn’t getting playing time it isn’t because the team won’t give him a chance.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I love posts like this. MM will never give Janis a shot because he hates him or some other reason. Coach and GMs and the whole staff gets judged on wins and loses. The staff is going to use every option at their disposal to win. If a player isn’t getting playing time it isn’t because the team won’t give him a chance.
    In general I agree with you, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that a coach simply has a bias that causes him to miss things. Jerrah likes him some really dumb physical freaks. Al Davis loved him some fast guys with no hands or route running ability. MM hates guys who make occasional mental mistakes even if they flash big plays. MM refused to use Desmond Bishop until he was forced to. Desmond was a difference maker on that D.

I can't say that janis or davis will be worth a shit, but I can say that MM is biased towards boring assignment sure guys who don't have the physical ability to change games.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    In general I agree with you, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that a coach simply has a bias that causes him to miss things. Jerrah likes him some really dumb physical freaks. Al Davis loved him some fast guys with no hands or route running ability. MM hates guys who make occasional mental mistakes even if they flash big plays. MM refused to use Desmond Bishop until he was forced to. Desmond was a difference maker on that D.

I can't say that janis or davis will be worth a shit, but I can say that MM is biased towards boring assignment sure guys who don't have the physical ability to change games.
    That is the Marty training in him.

But you can carry the above preferences too far in analyzing any of those coaches on GMs. Davis loved speed, but he would always take speed with hands if he could get it. As he got older he lost his fastball and took some possibly unwarranted risks.

I don't know much about Jerry's adventures, except that his son seems to have had a solid influence.

McCarthy might have hesitated to play Bishop, but Bishop wasn't a cure all either. M3 has a preference but he's not into harming himself.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

In the case of Janis and Davis, how much of that is on Rodgers? It's no secret Rodgers is pretty demanding about routes being run right. Does MM not want them in the lineup, or does he figure there's no point in putting guys in who Rodgers won't throw to?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    In the case of Janis and Davis, how much of that is on Rodgers? It's no secret Rodgers is pretty demanding about routes being run right. Does MM not want them in the lineup, or does he figure there's no point in putting guys in who Rodgers won't throw to?
    Could be. But if 4 other receivers can figure out the balance between the offense and Rodgers, then Janis should be able to.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Could be. But if 4 other receivers can figure out the balance between the offense and Rodgers, then Janis should be able to.
    No doubt Janis is more prone to mental errors than the others. Yet, a few years ago when MM had no choice but to play him in the playoff game at Arizona, he had 7 catches for 145 yards and 2 TD's. He does have some unique skills. I wonder if Philbin might have some ideas about how to get him involved in the offense.

But you can carry the above preferences too far in analyzing any of those coaches on GMs. Davis loved speed, but he would always take speed with hands if he could get it. As he got older he lost his fastball and took some possibly unwarranted risks.

I don't know much about Jerry's adventures, except that his son seems to have had a solid influence.

McCarthy might have hesitated to play Bishop, but Bishop wasn't a cure all either. M3 has a preference but he's not into harming himself.
    agreed, which is why i said they have biases. I guess adding the second part of each one was confusing. Clearly a bias towards a fast physical freak who is assignment perfect is ideal. But given only certain things available coaches and GMs have a bias towards certain guys. My bias is towards instinctual football players with high motors. You cna continue to work on physical traits. A guy with no motor or instincts is limited in a way you can't overcome.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.