Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Gutekunst, Making No Sense

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    My prediction is Janis will never be given a chance to see what he can do, isn't his contract up this year? My guess is he goes to another team. Davis, meh...
    I love posts like this. MM will never give Janis a shot because he hates him or some other reason. Coach and GMs and the whole staff gets judged on wins and loses. The staff is going to use every option at their disposal to win. If a player isn’t getting playing time it isn’t because the team won’t give him a chance.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Did I read this right: The Raiders' receiving crop was the 2nd slowest in the NFL in 2017? If there's an afterlife, Al Davis must be shaking his head and shouting the f-word angrily.

Speed is awesome in real life and definitely on Madden. The Packers do need to get faster at the WR position. The German Shepard can start by re-signing Janis. While pass catchers like Jennings, James Jones, Driver and Nelson played well with only average speed via precise route running, having a receiver with great speed would allow the Packer offense to bomb defenses into the abyss.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Amazing how some posters never miss an opportunity to piss on Janis.

I doubt McCarthy hates him hahahaha. He may very well hate the idea of giving playing time to younger players at some positions over other players. There also really seems to be something to this preference for slower receivers thing. Of course, ability to get open and catch the ball is important too, right there with speed. Janis (and Davis) have caught it as well as anybody, and route running is pretty much a learned skill - so it's on the coaches if they haven't improved as much as young guys from other teams.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post

I doubt McCarthy hates him hahahaha. He may very well hate the idea of giving playing time to younger players at some positions over other players. There also really seems to be something to this preference for slower receivers thing. Of course, ability to get open and catch the ball is important too, right there with speed. Janis (and Davis) have caught it as well as anybody, and route running is pretty much a learned skill - so it's on the coaches if they haven't improved as much as young guys from other teams.
    Thunderdan misinterpreted me, I don't believe the Packers hate Janis, but I do believe young receivers need playing time to get better. I also believe Janis' window of opportunity with the packers closed quite awhile ago.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

I doubt McCarthy hates him hahahaha. He may very well hate the idea of giving playing time to younger players at some positions over other players.
    This is a dumb take too. Stubby gave plenty of time to Jennings and Jones when they were young. Finley, Cobb, and Monty as well. Why? Because they had talent and knew what they were doing. Isn't it obvious that Janis doesn't cut it? Maybe the guy is good for a few patterns, but the lack of trustworthiness (and this comes from Rodgers, not Stubby) was a huge detriment. You can't play with a guy who doesn't do the right thing on almost every play.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Janice shines in garbage time. If the Packers just get down 21 every game, Janice will be an all pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Was this past season year 3 of waiting for Janis to blossom? Spoiler alert for 2018: its not happening.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Was this past season year 3 of waiting for Janis to blossom? Spoiler alert for 2018: its not happening.
    IKR?

If the light bulb hasn’t gone on by now, it ain’t gonna.

Like I said ....... dumbasses never missing an opportunity to piss on Janis.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Thankfully we have Tex at each Packers practice to see Janice in all his amazing glory.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I love posts like this. MM will never give Janis a shot because he hates him or some other reason. Coach and GMs and the whole staff gets judged on wins and loses. The staff is going to use every option at their disposal to win. If a player isn’t getting playing time it isn’t because the team won’t give him a chance.
    In general I agree with you, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that a coach simply has a bias that causes him to miss things. Jerrah likes him some really dumb physical freaks. Al Davis loved him some fast guys with no hands or route running ability. MM hates guys who make occasional mental mistakes even if they flash big plays. MM refused to use Desmond Bishop until he was forced to. Desmond was a difference maker on that D.

I can't say that janis or davis will be worth a shit, but I can say that MM is biased towards boring assignment sure guys who don't have the physical ability to change games.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    In general I agree with you, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that a coach simply has a bias that causes him to miss things. Jerrah likes him some really dumb physical freaks. Al Davis loved him some fast guys with no hands or route running ability. MM hates guys who make occasional mental mistakes even if they flash big plays. MM refused to use Desmond Bishop until he was forced to. Desmond was a difference maker on that D.

I can't say that janis or davis will be worth a shit, but I can say that MM is biased towards boring assignment sure guys who don't have the physical ability to change games.
    That is the Marty training in him.

But you can carry the above preferences too far in analyzing any of those coaches on GMs. Davis loved speed, but he would always take speed with hands if he could get it. As he got older he lost his fastball and took some possibly unwarranted risks.

I don't know much about Jerry's adventures, except that his son seems to have had a solid influence.

McCarthy might have hesitated to play Bishop, but Bishop wasn't a cure all either. M3 has a preference but he's not into harming himself.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That is the Marty training in him.

In the case of Janis and Davis, how much of that is on Rodgers? It's no secret Rodgers is pretty demanding about routes being run right. Does MM not want them in the lineup, or does he figure there's no point in putting guys in who Rodgers won't throw to?

Like I said ....... dumbasses never missing an opportunity to piss on Janis.
    If Janis is one of those people who likes getting peed on, then I guess it's okay. To each his own.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If Janis is one of those people who likes getting peed on, then I guess it's okay. To each his own.
    lol
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    In the case of Janis and Davis, how much of that is on Rodgers? It's no secret Rodgers is pretty demanding about routes being run right. Does MM not want them in the lineup, or does he figure there's no point in putting guys in who Rodgers won't throw to?
    Could be. But if 4 other receivers can figure out the balance between the offense and Rodgers, then Janis should be able to.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Could be. But if 4 other receivers can figure out the balance between the offense and Rodgers, then Janis should be able to.
    No doubt Janis is more prone to mental errors than the others. Yet, a few years ago when MM had no choice but to play him in the playoff game at Arizona, he had 7 catches for 145 yards and 2 TD's. He does have some unique skills. I wonder if Philbin might have some ideas about how to get him involved in the offense.

Janis is an Unrestricted Free Agent . Who's to say they even bring him back at the minimum, or otherwise? I guess we'll find out.

Janis is good at "500" ball. That kinda style doesn't work within s structured offense.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Janis is good at "500" ball. That kinda style doesn't work within s structured offense.
    Is the Packers offense that structured? A lot of times their plays seem to be Rodgers buying time until somebody breaks open. I realize Janis is limited. Still, it seems strange that a guy who had the biggest day for a Packers WR in a playoff game in recent years has had a total of 12 catches since then.