Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Gutekunst, Making No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    No doubt Janis is more prone to mental errors than the others. Yet, a few years ago when MM had no choice but to play him in the playoff game at Arizona, he had 7 catches for 145 yards and 2 TD's. He does have some unique skills. I wonder if Philbin might have some ideas about how to get him involved in the offense.
    You have to almost run the offense through him, which they had to do that game due to injury. Because he is not going to be at his assigned spot at the right time, you have to watch what he does and wait for him to break open.

It would be the Rodgers extra inning offense from the snap. Hard to get others involved too.

He's the perfect receiver for Tebow though.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    With A-Rod getting injured for a good chunk of two separate seasons, and being 34, I have to wonder if they will try and alter the approach to the scramble drill. They have to try to keep him out of harms way. I know comparisons are often worthless, but Brady often seems like he could make and eat a sandwich in the pocket before having to throw the ball. The rest of the time, he gets the ball out of his hand quickly before the rush can even factor into the play.

Back in 2015 when the offense was struggling without Jordy, I read an article that pointed out the Packers route tree was based on isolation routes with not a lot in the area of rubs or picks from other receivers to create space. Perhaps with Philbin coming back, there will be some new wrinkles to help the offense be less dependent on the scramble drill. I know sometimes his scrambles are by design, but it would be nice to gain chunks of yardage without A-Rod having to put on his cape so often during a game. The continued development of the running game and MM's willingness to actually use it effectively would help.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    No doubt Janis is more prone to mental errors than the others. Yet, a few years ago when MM had no choice but to play him in the playoff game at Arizona, he had 7 catches for 145 yards and 2 TD's. He does have some unique skills. I wonder if Philbin might have some ideas about how to get him involved in the offense.
    Seriously? 100 of those yards came on contested toss ups. Good for Janis catching them, but that's desperation. In 2005, half the Packer offense at the end of the season went through Tony Fisher and Antonio Chatman because that's all they had other than Driver.

I'd be happy to be wrong about Janis, but he's had a lot of chances - most of it out of our sight in practice - to impress coaches. There's no way Stubby et. al. are holding him back for no good reason.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    With A-Rod getting injured for a good chunk of two separate seasons, and being 34, I have to wonder if they will try and alter the approach to the scramble drill. They have to try to keep him out of harms way. I know comparisons are often worthless, but Brady often seems like he could make and eat a sandwich in the pocket before having to throw the ball. The rest of the time, he gets the ball out of his hand quickly before the rush can even factor into the play.

Back in 2015 when the offense was struggling without Jordy, I read an article that pointed out the Packers route tree was based on isolation routes with not a lot in the area of rubs or picks from other receivers to create space. Perhaps with Philbin coming back, there will be some new wrinkles to help the offense be less dependent on the scramble drill. I know sometimes his scrambles are by design, but it would be nice to gain chunks of yardage without A-Rod having to put on his cape so often during a game. The continued development of the running game and MM's willingness to actually use it effectively would help.
    CP, I kinda hope they bring back the M3/Philbin offense from before too, and not just because of 15-1 in 2011.

Much of what has happened since they tried to adjust tempo (no huddle and hurry up) has not been as reliable. The offense also can no longer rely on WR getting open deep due to multiple factors like age, no more Jones, no TE threat, lack of functional speed, etc.

I want an offense that isn't all WR screens that can beat man coverage and complete 8 passes in a row for a TD drive.

I'm not asking for much, am I?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Seriously? 100 of those yards came on contested toss ups. Good for Janis catching them, but that's desperation. In 2005, half the Packer offense at the end of the season went through Tony Fisher and Antonio Chatman because that's all they had other than Driver.

I'd be happy to be wrong about Janis, but he's had a lot of chances - most of it out of our sight in practice - to impress coaches. There's no way Stubby et. al. are holding him back for no good reason.
    In the immortal words of the great Allen Iverson, "Practice? We're talkin' bout practice, man. Not a game!"

In my playing days, I used to fake injuries all the time just to sit out practices. That never prevented me from being a shutdown corner. Never stopped me from shutting down Darren Charles in a game.

None of us know how Janis fared in practice, but in games, good things usually happen when Janis is in the game.

McCarthy should've played Janis over that sloth Allison. Barr's monstrous hit didn't end the Packers' season. Allison's fumble did. Odds are, Janis would've caught the rock in that instance and then, via his awesome speed, dashed into the endzone.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Janis is an Unrestricted Free Agent . Who's to say they even bring him back at the minimum, or otherwise? I guess we'll find out.
    I'm all for playing Janis at receiver, but if the Packers are serious about special teams, Janis is a must resign. If there's a prototype gunner, Janis is it - the perfect combination of size and speed. Deserves at least $2M/yr.

Belichick keeps 2-3 players solely for special teams every season, and I'm not talking about the kicker, punter and long snapper. Matthew Slater, for example, can't hold Janis' jockstrap as a receiver, but he continues to win rings with the Pats b/c of his special teams kung fu.

Janis doesn't deserve anywhere near $2M a year. Vet minimum with a small signing bonus or he can be sent packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    I'm all for playing Janis at receiver, but if the Packers are serious about special teams, Janis is a must resign. If there's a prototype gunner, Janis is it - the perfect combination of size and speed. Deserves at least $2M/yr.

Belichick keeps 2-3 players solely for special teams every season, and I'm not talking about the kicker, punter and long snapper. Matthew Slater, for example, can't hold Janis' jockstrap as a receiver, but he continues to win rings with the Pats b/c of his special teams kung fu.
    Is he making 2+ mil per year?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Is he making 2+ mil per year?
    Not sure, but Bush's last contract with the Packers averaged about $1.75 M/yr (3 yrs/ $5.25, $1M signing bonus, according to spotrac.com). Janis is just as good, if not better, a gunner/special teams ace as Bush was.

McCarthy should've played Janis over that sloth Allison. Barr's monstrous hit didn't end the Packers' season. Allison's fumble did. Odds are, Janis would've caught the rock in that instance and then, via his awesome speed, dashed into the endzone.
    That could be true. More likely the season would have ended several plays earlier with Janis running the wrong route. But the coaches know he doesn't know the offense from previous stints on the field in games - and in practice.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    That could be true. More likely the season would have ended several plays earlier with Janis running the wrong route. But the coaches know he doesn't know the offense from previous stints on the field in games - and in practice.
    Janis scored 30 on the Wonderlic. Dude's smart enough to run a deep post if they need him to run a deep post.

The more logical explanation: the coaches failed to utilize Janis, much in the same manner that Thompson failed to utilize Belichickism.

Janis scored 30 on the Wonderlic. Dude's smart enough to run a deep post if they need him to run a deep post.

The more logical explanation: the coaches failed to utilize Janis, much in the same manner that Thompson failed to utilize Belichickism.
    There are a lot of smart players who cannot play pro football well. Its muscle memory, not immediate recall.

Knowing what route is called and actually running it against physical equals are two different things. I cannot find the video, but last year Janis ran a slant and a LB read it and stood in his way. Janis' entire body reacted with surprise and like he had no idea what to do if things on the field did not look like the whiteboard.

He half heartedly continued after a slight pause, bumped into the LB and fell backward in an attempt to draw a flag. It might have been the worst slant route I have ever seen in my life. Brutal. He is used to dominating the opposition and has not adjusted to the level of resistance he meets on offense.

There are a lot of smart players who cannot play pro football well. Its muscle memory, not immediate recall.

Knowing what route is called and actually running it against physical equals are two different things. I cannot find the video, but last year Janis ran a slant and a LB read it and stood in his way. Janis' entire body reacted with surprise and like he had no idea what to do if things on the field did not look like the whiteboard.

He half heartedly continued after a slight pause, bumped into the LB and fell backward in an attempt to draw a flag. It might have been the worst slant route I have ever seen in my life. Brutal. He is used to dominating the opposition and has not adjusted to the level of resistance he meets on offense.
    Yes, Nick Collins scored 5 or something like that on the Wonderlic, and he didn't do too bad on the football field.

But just cos Janis is raw and makes a few mental mistakes doesn't mean he can't play. Pretty sure Adams and Nelson made a tons of them too in their first few seasons. And Janis has speed, something that can't be taught, or so the saying goes. When the guys you're playing are as slow as sloths, it doesn't hurt to add some speed.

As I stated previously, the coaches should've played Janis over Allison, a slothish JAG. Players like Allison are a dime a dozen. Janis has speed, and when he's on the field with the rock, good things usually happen.

He's the perfect receiver for Tebow though.
    Speaking of Tebow, there's a good chance he might play pro football again. I read somewhere that Vince McMahon is bringing "black" the XFL.

Hope to see Tebow and Johhnny Football play pro ball again. I rooted for the two of them to dominate the NFL. (I hope to see Kap back in the NFL next season.)

So you're saying they used Janis better than 30 other teams would. OK, I agree with you.

Problem with Belichickism.

Every team does it. And it fails most of them miserably, and most of them are far worse off than the Packers over the long run.

I think Tank has not quite sussed out the unique quality of the process that gives the Patriots the edge.

That is the Marty training in him.

But you can carry the above preferences too far in analyzing any of those coaches on GMs. Davis loved speed, but he would always take speed with hands if he could get it. As he got older he lost his fastball and took some possibly unwarranted risks.

I don't know much about Jerry's adventures, except that his son seems to have had a solid influence.

McCarthy might have hesitated to play Bishop, but Bishop wasn't a cure all either. M3 has a preference but he's not into harming himself.
    agreed, which is why i said they have biases. I guess adding the second part of each one was confusing. Clearly a bias towards a fast physical freak who is assignment perfect is ideal. But given only certain things available coaches and GMs have a bias towards certain guys. My bias is towards instinctual football players with high motors. You cna continue to work on physical traits. A guy with no motor or instincts is limited in a way you can't overcome.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Not sure, but Bush's last contract with the Packers averaged about $1.75 M/yr (3 yrs/ $5.25, $1M signing bonus, according to spotrac.com). Janis is just as good, if not better, a gunner/special teams ace as Bush was.
    Did Bush ever get any All Pro votes for his ST work?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Did Bush ever get any All Pro votes for his ST work?
    Not according to pro football reference.

Problem with Belichickism.

Every team does it. And it fails most of them miserably, and most of them are far worse off than the Packers over the long run.

I think Tank has not quite sussed out the unique quality of the process that gives the Patriots the edge.
    With all due respect, you are incorrect.

Not every team subscribes to Belichickism. For starter, the Packers under Thompson subscribed to Polar Bearism, also known as Draft and Develop, not Belichickism.

And that unique quality that makes the Pats successful? Tom Brady, an elite QB. Put Belichick on the 2017 Browns with Hundley-clone Kizer at QB and no way the Browns are in the Super Bowl. J-Mac subscribed to Belichickism in Denver, but failed mainly b/c he lacked an elite QB.

Belichickism works best with an elite QB. Belichick's 6 rings with Brady are proofs.

The Packers have an elite QB.