Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Brian Gutekunst, Making No Sense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Janis is good at "500" ball. That kinda style doesn't work within s structured offense.
    Is the Packers offense that structured? A lot of times their plays seem to be Rodgers buying time until somebody breaks open. I realize Janis is limited. Still, it seems strange that a guy who had the biggest day for a Packers WR in a playoff game in recent years has had a total of 12 catches since then.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    With A-Rod getting injured for a good chunk of two separate seasons, and being 34, I have to wonder if they will try and alter the approach to the scramble drill. They have to try to keep him out of harms way. I know comparisons are often worthless, but Brady often seems like he could make and eat a sandwich in the pocket before having to throw the ball. The rest of the time, he gets the ball out of his hand quickly before the rush can even factor into the play.

Back in 2015 when the offense was struggling without Jordy, I read an article that pointed out the Packers route tree was based on isolation routes with not a lot in the area of rubs or picks from other receivers to create space. Perhaps with Philbin coming back, there will be some new wrinkles to help the offense be less dependent on the scramble drill. I know sometimes his scrambles are by design, but it would be nice to gain chunks of yardage without A-Rod having to put on his cape so often during a game. The continued development of the running game and MM's willingness to actually use it effectively would help.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    With A-Rod getting injured for a good chunk of two separate seasons, and being 34, I have to wonder if they will try and alter the approach to the scramble drill. They have to try to keep him out of harms way. I know comparisons are often worthless, but Brady often seems like he could make and eat a sandwich in the pocket before having to throw the ball. The rest of the time, he gets the ball out of his hand quickly before the rush can even factor into the play.

Back in 2015 when the offense was struggling without Jordy, I read an article that pointed out the Packers route tree was based on isolation routes with not a lot in the area of rubs or picks from other receivers to create space. Perhaps with Philbin coming back, there will be some new wrinkles to help the offense be less dependent on the scramble drill. I know sometimes his scrambles are by design, but it would be nice to gain chunks of yardage without A-Rod having to put on his cape so often during a game. The continued development of the running game and MM's willingness to actually use it effectively would help.
    CP, I kinda hope they bring back the M3/Philbin offense from before too, and not just because of 15-1 in 2011.

Much of what has happened since they tried to adjust tempo (no huddle and hurry up) has not been as reliable. The offense also can no longer rely on WR getting open deep due to multiple factors like age, no more Jones, no TE threat, lack of functional speed, etc.

I want an offense that isn't all WR screens that can beat man coverage and complete 8 passes in a row for a TD drive.

I'm not asking for much, am I?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Janis doesn't deserve anywhere near $2M a year. Vet minimum with a small signing bonus or he can be sent packing.

Excellent Post, APB.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Excellent Post, APB.
    Thanks Tex.

I was hoping you'd define "Good normal American" in the glossary thread, but I guess that term is too FYI for the Packer forum. Rand's definition is appropriate, but that means Rastak is not a good normal American. lol
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Rand's definition is appropriate, but that means Rastak is not a good normal American. lol
    Rastak is a Meh American. Supporting the Vikings doesn't make him a traitor to the nation or anything, but you can question his normalcy.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think Hoodie would have won a few more with Jimmy had he had the chance. BB is the goat man.

Blog Entries
    Those who consistently claim BB failed in Cleveland should really do some due diligence IMO
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Those who consistently claim BB failed in Cleveland should really do some due diligence IMO
    I have. I watched that team. I thought they would be better. They disappointed me year in and out. I do think BB is great. I just simply believe Parcells was his mentor and better.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    We are talking about Parcells, not Shula so...nice straw man.

Better check Hoodies overall record with Cleveland before you tell me how well he was doing.
    The Marino thing isn’t a straw
    Man. Is a counter to the Brady magic. You can have the greatest QB but if the coaching and organization isn’t up to Cheat standards you get Fave and Rodgers and Steve Young with one title a piece.

I’m well aware of the entire Cheat trajectory in Cleveland. It was getting better before the rug was pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The Marino thing isn’t a straw
    Man. Is a counter to the Brady magic. You can have the greatest QB but if the coaching and organization isn’t up to Cheat standards you get Fave and Rodgers and Steve Young with one title a piece.

I’m well aware of the entire Cheat trajectory in Cleveland. It was getting better before the rug was pulled.
    Marino threw A LOT of picks....and I'm a marino fan.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I have. I watched that team. I thought they would be better. They disappointed me year in and out. I do think BB is great. I just simply believe Parcells was his mentor and better.
    I know. I tend to oversell Cheat and undersell Coach Manzier. I should give Parcells the credit for his two super bowls. But overall I think Cheat Is better than Parcells. Hard to argue with all the success he’s had.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Imagine if BB never left Cleveland and achieved even half the success as he did in NE. I think the city would have renamed itself after him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Has anyone else noticed an uncanny resemblance to Jerry Lundegaard, the car dealer in Fargo?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Has anyone else noticed an uncanny resemblance to Jerry Lundegaard, the car dealer in Fargo?

Gotta have the undercoating ...
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Gotta have the undercoating ...
    Classic Dark Comedy ala 'a Packer GM Brian Gutekunst media interview' after the Packers War Room Razzle Dazzle in Round One of the Draft:

[Practices calling Wade Gustafson his Father in Law after wifey is kidnapped]

Yah, Wade, It's Jerry, I ... Yah, Wade, it's, I, it's Jerry... I don't know what to do it's Jean. I don't know what to do it's my wife. I don't know what to do it's Jean. Wade, it's Jerry, I ... Wade, it's Jerry! We gotta talk! Oh, geez, it's terrible... [calls the number] Yah, Wade Gustafson, please.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Ya, darn tootin' I did!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Think he smeared the draft card?

1 18 Jaire Alexander CB Louisville
    2 13 (45) Josh Jackson CB Iowa
    3 24 (88, from CAR) Oren Burks LB Vanderbilt
    4 33 (133 comp) J'Mon Moore WR Missouri
    5 1 (138) Cole Madison OL Washington State
    5 35 (172 comp) JK Scott P Alabama
    5 37 (174 comp) Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR South Florida
    6 33 (207, comp) Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame
    7 14 (232) James Looney DE California
    7 21 (239) Hunter Bradley LS Mississippi State
    7 30 (248, from SEA) Kendall Donnerson OLB SE Missouri State

Okay, here is the skinny...

I really liked what Gute did in FA and on Day 1 of the draft. (Stop)

I can live with Josh Jackson in the 2nd. (Stop)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Everything thereafter is WTF????

- Burks is the worst player in the history of college football. Simply, "WOW" terrible... Great athlete, great combine - worst football player to ever put pads on.

- I like the WR's we picked as players, but all of them are vertical players - just not sure how they fit MM's offense. Still, they are pretty talented, so we'll see.

- Can live with the Madison pick. Typical Packer OL pick.

- 2 Special Teams guys?? WTF??

- Didn't even attempt to address pass rush, or OLB. This is the one that really has me saying WTF??

Matthews is slowing down, so is Perry. Wilkerson has to rebound to contribute. Based on comments from the podium, they appear to be banking on Gilbert a lot.

The fact that they even mentioned Biegel as a possible contributor speaks to how desperate the situation is.

4 players needed to be shown the door this offseason: Randall, Fackrell, Jon Ryan, and Biegel.

I applauded his dumping of Randall, but if they think they are going to get any production out of those other 3 guys, they are completely deluded.

I think a lot of the same organizational problems that have plagued the Packers for many years are still there. Next year - the predraft buzz will be all about pass rush, and I seriously doubt the Packers front office will make the necessary moves to get this team over the top.

Overall, after a very encouraging start to the Gute era, I think it is obvious it is the "same old Packers".
    wist