Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Brian Gutekunst, Making No Sense

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Given our roster, I'm moving up all day long for Landry. Even if they are equivalent players, there were opportunities to get quality CB's later..aka....Nelson.......
    I mentioned something in the draft thread that Landry looked like a one trick pony to me - shoulder dip upfield and that's it. I like the Jackson pick because of the way he plays, and I'd stay with him if it were my choice. I worry that he's mostly faced some pretty rotten QBs.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Gotta have the undercoating ...
    Classic Dark Comedy ala 'a Packer GM Brian Gutekunst media interview' after the Packers War Room Razzle Dazzle in Round One of the Draft:

[Practices calling Wade Gustafson his Father in Law after wifey is kidnapped]

Yah, Wade, It's Jerry, I ... Yah, Wade, it's, I, it's Jerry... I don't know what to do it's Jean. I don't know what to do it's my wife. I don't know what to do it's Jean. Wade, it's Jerry, I ... Wade, it's Jerry! We gotta talk! Oh, geez, it's terrible... [calls the number] Yah, Wade Gustafson, please.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION WISTY AND WOODY AND ALL...............WHAT IF GOOTIE HAS STAYED THERE AND NOT TRADED DOWN

HOW WOULD YOU HAVE FELT ABOUT THE ABOVE ???????????????
    The potential upside is huge. Dude could be a monster at ILB, maybe even outside a bit too. But that's not where the team was hurting the most. This was a need draft. Not only do the Packers need corners but they are going to need them to start. That Edmunds kid is a lot more raw than the Packer CBs.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The potential upside is huge. Dude could be a monster at ILB, maybe even outside a bit too. But that's not where the team was hurting the most. This was a need draft. Not only do the Packers need corners but they are going to need them to start. That Edmunds kid is a lot more raw than the Packer CBs.

I really like N Nelson form the Mighty Badgers

CB's were so deep this year they were there in round 4 and 5

Elite talent LB'ers were not.

Edmunds is a high risk/high reward guy though. He's only 19.

I worry we had a chance to get an elite person on defense...and we never get that shot because we never draft this high

Hope we made the right call.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I can’t figure out the Nick Nelson love. He made big plays but got beat a lot this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

When asked Former Packer GM responded yes he failed in his inaugural Draft..

Brian Gutekunst Blew the Draft with one name:

** Tremaine Edmunds

** Tremaine Edmunds - VIRGINIA TECH

Rnd 1, Pick 16 ILB Buffalo Bills - Junior - GRADE = 7.17

Pick Analysis:

He doesn't turn 20 until May 2. He's an off the ball linebacker and some people think he's so talented, he might even be a pass rusher on third down. His future is immense. He's got this rare size and skill set that gives him a sub-package versatility that is unknown in today's game. --Mike Mayock

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tremai...0-412c60099aca

Overview

Edmunds combines elite size, speed and explosiveness into a productive, versatile linebacker package that will have evaluators salivating. Edmunds has posted high-impact production over the last two seasons and he still has room to get bigger and better. He will make mental mistakes and his instincts are subpar, but he has an ability to mitigate those issues with his athletic ability. Edmunds can play in any alignment at any linebacker spot and has All-Pro potential no matter where he lands.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-29-2018 at 12:06 AM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

The Biegel comment kinda kills your post. Injured, didn't play a lot, rookie. Isn't Jon Ryan the Seattle punter? Assume you mean Jake. Anyway, SMH.
    I can't stand Biegel... and yes, you'll forgive my addled memory Jon/Jake - I'm still a bit doped up. Home from the hospital, be in bed for a few days - so if i make less sense than my usual senseless sense, you can assume i just took some pain meds, lol...
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I can't stand Biegel... and yes, you'll forgive my addled memory Jon/Jake - I'm still a bit doped up. Home from the hospital, be in bed for a few days - so if i make less sense than my usual senseless sense, you can assume i just took some pain meds, lol...
    I'm glad to see you posting wist43.

Take it really easy Packer fan.

Noone with even half a brain is going to defend The Packer BRASS and this real mess over that past three days.

The Saturday Night LIVE comedy writers couldn't write it up any more screwey.

Let's call it a Rookie GM Panic Attack.

Blog Entries

You just don't like white Badgers !! lol...j/k........
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Maybe this will help those of you who think Burks can’t play a lick of football.

http://www.patriots.com/video/2018/0...-lb-vanderbilt

I think maybe he can play a little.
    Dude plays fast and aggressive against good competition. Looks more instinctive than Ryan ever did.

I really like N Nelson form the Mighty Badgers

CB's were so deep this year they were there in round 4 and 5

Elite talent LB'ers were not.

Edmunds is a high risk/high reward guy though. He's only 19.

I worry we had a chance to get an elite person on defense...and we never get that shot because we never draft this high

Hope we made the right call.
    I don't necessarily think the draft was that deep at CB this year. There were 4 CBs that I felt really good about (Ward, Alexander, Oliver, Josh Jackson). There were a few others that I liked (Dawson, Hughes, Donte Jackson). A couple of boom or bust prospects (Averett, Davis). After that, it wasn't overly impressive. There were some with good sleeper potential (Nelson, Hill, Maddox).
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Dude plays fast and aggressive against good competition. Looks more instinctive than Ryan ever did.
    He has seriously good closing speed and can tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I don't necessarily think the draft was that deep at CB this year. There were 4 CBs that I felt really good about (Ward, Alexander, Oliver, Josh Jackson). There were a few others that I liked (Dawson, Hughes, Donte Jackson). A couple of boom or bust prospects (Averett, Davis). After that, it wasn't overly impressive. There were some with good sleeper potential (Nelson, Hill, Maddox).
    Why not draft a guy like Hill in the 7th, and assume he gets suspended at least you own his rights if he ever grows up.

I'd rather do that than take a long snapper.
    wist

Why not draft a guy like Hill in the 7th, and assume he gets suspended at least you own his rights if he ever grows up.

I'd rather do that than take a long snapper.
    With the issues we've had since Goode started getting hurt, LS was a need. I'd like to not go through the LS carousel anymore. Hopefully, this guy delivers. I have no idea why this guy over Carew, but I won't pretend to be a LS guru.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Looking ahead a couple of years, I was hoping that we could be in the conversation for a SB title in 2020.

My hope was that Gute would get a lot of prospects in the pipeline this year, and he has for the most part; but the organization has completely blown off upgrading the pass rush, and that will set the team back at least another year - now the best case might be that we push for an NFCCG appearance by 2021; and, that is only assuming they go all-in on rebuilding the pass rush next year. Something that is certainly not a given.

To hear Gute and MM talk as if Fackrell and Biegel are legit options was very disheartening. Fackrell will be cut before next season, and Biegel is a long shot at best. There's some talent on the DL, but the overall LB corp is so weak that there is no way this team can compete with the elite teams in the league.

I like the WR's they brought in, and I think they fixed the secondary for the most part, but ignoring the pass rush like they did is really going to set the team back.
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I'm pretty pleased with what I saw from Gute.

First that was some impressive navigating in the first round. When you're a team that wins in the NFL you have to get value wherever you can find it and I think that happened. Since exploiting loopholes and competitive advantages ain't cheating, you all know what to do if you find yourself in a position to push Drew Brees into traffic in the next few months.

Deja vu drafting back to back corners again, but I'm glad these guys aren't projects. We just can't have too many good corners even with perfect health. The need for pass rush might be a little overstated. Acquiring Peppers was a great opportunity, but we don't absolutely need a 3rd starting caliber OLB. When we won the SB we were thinner there than we are now. Plus there is Pettine to consider, who never even saw a decent OLB until he was in Buffalo yet still managed to make lemonade. What our pass rush needs right now is help in the secondary and lots of it. If these young guys put it together a weakness can be a strength once again.

Drafting the three WR reminds me of last year's approach to running backs. I hope they push each other because if any of them hit we'll finally have one of those big matchup nightmare guys.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    With the issues we've had since Goode started getting hurt, LS was a need. I'd like to not go through the LS carousel anymore. Hopefully, this guy delivers. I have no idea why this guy over Carew, but I won't pretend to be a LS guru.
    Exactly. They got the guy they think is the best prospect from this year's draft class.

Right now, the only LS on the roster is Zack Triner, who also has no NFL experience and has been out of college a couple years.
    I expect Goode is their fallback guy again, but they have been trying to find a replacement for him since last year. I think they tried four different one last year, two during the season when Goode was out, but apparently they didn't like any of them well enough to sign them this year.

Right now, LS is a big question mark on this team.

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery...sh-115869566/2

2018 NFL Combine's 25 fastest players

Defensive backs lit up the 40-yard dash at the 2018 NFL Combine.

By: Brad Crawford - Mar 5, 1:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Acquiring Peppers was a great opportunity, but we don't absolutely need a 3rd starting caliber OLB. When we won the SB we were thinner there than we are now. Plus there is Pettine to consider, who never even saw a decent OLB until he was in Buffalo yet still managed to make lemonade. What our pass rush needs right now is help in the secondary and lots of it.
    It would really look like the Super Bowl team if they got push up the middle in the pass rush.

Bring back Howard Green.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I mentioned something in the draft thread that Landry looked like a one trick pony to me - shoulder dip upfield and that's it. I like the Jackson pick because of the way he plays, and I'd stay with him if it were my choice. I worry that he's mostly faced some pretty rotten QBs.
    He faced Josh Allen, McSorley, Barrett and Horny last year. Now granted, Josh Allen may be the worst QB ever to be drafted in the top 10, or at least he has the potential to rival Rich Campbell for that honor, but I woudn't call him a rotten QB.