Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Senior Bowl

2018 Senior Bowl

Josh Allen is trash and may still go in the first round. Baker Mayfield is short and probably a jacka$$ but he was the best QB at the Senior Bowl.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/...-room-includin

There are probably more well rounded critiques of the rest of the positions, but this guy goes into some detail for QBs and then other players he noticed, both for good and bad reasons.

QB Week Rankings
    1. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
    2. Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
    3. Mike White, Western Kentucky
    4. Luke Falk, Washington State
    5. Josh Allen, Wyoming
    6. Brandon Silvers, Troy
    7. Kurt Benkert, Virginia
    8. Tanner Lee, Nebraska

Cornerbacks
    Upside: Boston College’s Isaac Yiadom, Dubuque cornerback Michael Joseph, DIII

Wide Receivers
    Upside: Penn State receiver DaeSean Hamilton, James Washington of Oklahoma State and Michael Gallup of Colorado State, Penn receiver Justin Watson
    Downside: Iowa State’s Allen Lazard and New Mexico State’s Jaleel Scott , each too slow in routes
    Mixed: Miami (FL) receiver Braxton Berrios, one spectacular catch and late separation, but imprecise routes
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Someone is going to end up being fired for taking Josh Allen if he goes in the first round. His accuracy is horrible. He's a poster child for looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Someone is going to end up being fired for taking Josh Allen if he goes in the first round. His accuracy is horrible. He's a poster child for looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.
    So, will the Browns take with the 1st pick or the 4th pick?

braxton berrios is going to get drafted by the pats and become the next awesome short white WR in new england

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-north-team-page

Name: Josh Allen
    School: Wyoming
    Ht: 6047
    Wt: 237
    Arm: 33 1/2
    Hand: 10 1/8

Tues: Threw a few beautiful passes but for the most part really struggled. Had a number of passes get away from him and on several instances just gave his receivers no chance at all. Mentioned after practice that he's really working on his footwork.

Wed: Looked a little better, though some passes still got away from him. Makes some incredible, jaw-dropping passes no one else has the arm strength to make and places the ball in an area where only his guy can make the catch, but at other times he’s so far off the mark.

Thurs: Did not seem to be on the same page as his receivers. This is disconcerting, as it was a problem for Allen throughout the 2017 season.

Team Interests:

Analysis: Allen had his moments and made some beautiful passes throughout the week but also had streaks where he was terrible. His three days of practice was definitely not the performance he needed or I dare say wanted. During his interviews when the accuracy topic was raised he became rather defensive on a number of occasions. To his credit Allen did say several times he’s working hard on his footwork in the effort to improve his pass placement and accuracy. The potential is enormous but so is the risk and as a result Allen leaves the Senior Bowl with as many questions as when he arrived.
    Name: Troy Fumagalli

School: Wisconsin
    Ht: 6047
    Wt: 247
    Arm: 32 1/4
    Hand: 9 5/8

Tues: Struggled in a number of areas catching the ball but looked really good blocking.

Wed: Plays like a big-bodied tight end. Tough. Not spectacular in any area rather very efficient as a blocker and pass catcher.

Thurs: Erratic day. Made a few nice receptions but also had a pass or two slip through his grasp. Looks like a very ordinary athlete.

Team Interests:

Analysis: Overall it was an uninspired week by Fumagalli. He was solid in most areas yet never really stood out the way I hoped. He caught the ball well but did not look natural the way he does on film. His speed was unimpressive and while Fumagalli gave effort blocking, he didn’t finish off opponents. It was not the week he needed to secure a spot in the draft’s second day.
    Name: Michael Gesicki

School: Penn State
    Ht: 6053
    Wt: 242
    Arm: 34
    Hand: 10 1/8

Tues: Did not look spectacular in any area, but to his credit he was solid in all areas. Caught the ball very well and is a natural hands catcher. Showed real good strength as a blocker.

Wed: Made several nice receptions extending in the deep field to grab the pass from the air. Also caught the ball well on crossing patterns, adjusting backwards and grabbing the ball from the air.

Thurs: Tremendous day for Gesicki. Made several phenomenal catches including a corner route in the end zone when he out-jumped the safety, twisted his body in half and stabbed the ball out of the air. Described as a “gigantic receiver” for the way he catches passes.

Team Interests:

Analysis: Many were surprised when I put Gesicki in the first round of my 2018 mock draft last May. And while he ultimately won’t be a first round pick, Gesicki had scouts talking about him as they left Mobile. He’s a huge target who was one of the better pass catchers from the week- tight end or receiver. He competes for the reception, uses his huge frame as an advantage and snatches the ball with soft hands. Forty time is important but I believe Gesicki cemented himself as a top 45 pick.
    Name: Durham Smythe

School: Notre Dame
    Ht: 6052
    Wt: 253
    Arm: 31 1/2
    Hand: 9 3/8

Tues: Smythe had a terrific day and was the best tight end on the North. Was dominant in blocking drills and as a blocker in scrimmage. Manhandled Jalyn Holmes a number of times. Also caught the ball very well.

Wed: Another good day. Very sound in all his fundamentals. Catches the ball well with his hands away from his frame. Strong as a blocker, stays square and controls opponents.

Thurs: Another solid and an efficient performance from Smythe. Caught the ball well and did a solid job blocking. Plays with great fundamentals.

Team Interests:

Analysis: Smythe had a real good week of practice and helped himself as much as any tight end in Mobile. He didn’t have many wow plays rather was efficient, productive and effective in all areas. He came to the Senior Bowl as a late round pick yet I believe he leaves as an early day three selection who should be effective as a second tight end at the next level.
    Name: DJ Chark

School: LSU

Ht: 6025
    Wt: 196
    Arm: 33
    Hand: 9 1/4

Tues: Chark beat Quin Blanding for a deep score down the sideline but had trouble catches passes thrown above his shoulders and was often too choppy when changing direction at the stem of his routes.

Wed: A decent day for Chark, who sold his deep routes well before coming back towards the line of scrimmage and was very effective on double moves. He had a few drops but also made a nice one-handed catch on an out route when the ball was on him too quickly to get both hands ready.

Thurs: Chark had a great day of practice, getting open seemingly at will and catching everything thrown his way. He showed good pass-catching fundamentals, worked the sideline and back of the end zone extremely well and did a nice job adjusting to poorly thrown passes.
    Name: Byron Pringle

School: Kansas State

Ht: 6010
    Wt: 201
    Arm: 31 5/8
    Hand: 9 1/8

Tues: Pringle was the South's second-best receiver on Tuesday, showing solid hands and tracking the ball nicely down the field. He showed good timing and extension on balls thrown over his head and was a big winner from the day of practice.

Wed: Pringle wasn't quite as good as Tuesday, but he still had a solid practice. He ran sharp routes in the short field, adjusted nicely to errant passes, showed good burst transitioning to yards after the catch and fought through physical coverage while showing good balance.

Thurs: Pringle continued his strong play, showing speed on underneath crossing routes and down the field to catch up to passes with air underneath them. He did a great job selling routes down the field before coming back to the ball and getting himself open.

You will all be shocked to know that the local paper said Fumagalli was wowing everyone at the Senior Bowl.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Draft Analyst‏
    @DraftAnalyst1
    Follow Follow @DraftAnalyst1
    More
    DJ Chark is balling out here today after that 75 yard TD and now has four receptions for 147 yards. Have your self a day!! #SeniorBowl http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-south-team-page

If Guts follows in TT’s footsteps, he will weight this week heavily.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You will all be shocked to know that the local paper said Fumagalli was wowing everyone at the Senior Bowl.
    Mid Round Draft Pick; I think he has a shot. I'll take him over the plodder
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

DaeSean Hamilton looks like the type of WR that we usually look at in round 2 or 3.

Josh Allen looks like Carson Wentz, but I don't think he has the accuracy and Wentz's intagibles were off the charts.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...in-senior-bowl

]Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA
    Davenport wasn't very effective in the first two days of practices here, and some people didn't really give him much of a chance to adjust to the environment at the Senior Bowl before criticizing him. He clearly needed that adjustment period because he was unstoppable late in the week of practices, and it carried over to the game. He recorded a half sack and scored a TD on a fumble recovery. His numbers might not jump off the page, but the North team had its hands full trying to slow him down.

DJ Chark, WR, LSU
    There was zero buzz on Chark coming into this week, but he had everyone talking by the end of the week. His production was outstanding (game-high 160 yards on 5 catches) -- everyone can see that -- but it shouldn't go overlooked that he also was good on the coverage teams, covering kicks.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Wentz's intagibles were off the charts.
    How could you know?

That's a funny and accurate comment, Rand.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I'm on the Gesicki bandwagon, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    How could you know?
    I'm from North Dakota. The state is small enough where word gets around. I know people that know his family.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I'm on the Gesicki bandwagon, for now.
    There are a few TEs I like, Gesicki included. Mark Andrews and Dallas Goedert are also nice. Jordan Akins is an intriguing sleeper. The problem with Akins is he's 26 already. He was a high draft pick in baseball and spent four years in the minors. There doesn't seem to be a lot of depth at TE though.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'm from North Dakota. The state is small enough where word gets around. I know people that know his family.
    Sounds tangible.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I should have said that I'm not just from his home state but his home town (Bismarck). His Dad was an insurance agent in town. The Bison are a lot like the Packers in that you hear a lot of rumors about what guys are really like, because the town is pretty small. Kind of similar to the stories I hear sometimes when I'm in Green Bay.

^^^ Harvey - your vouching for Wentz is why I like the guy. I hate Philly fans, but am pulling for the Eagles because of Wentz and Pederson. It would really be something if they win it all then add back Wentz next year. They are pretty much the prohibitive favorite in the NFC next year regardless of the Superbowl outcome.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    ^^^ Harvey - your vouching for Wentz is why I like the guy. I hate Philly fans, but am pulling for the Eagles because of Wentz and Pederson. It would really be something if they win it all then add back Wentz next year. They are pretty much the prohibitive favorite in the NFC next year regardless of the Superbowl outcome.
    I am rooting for Philly (along with a good chunk of the country) because of who they are playing on Sunday.