Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
I haven't had a problem with the rule since I finally understood it. The ground can't cause a fumble but it can cause an incomplete pass. The player is obligated to maintain control if the player goes to the ground while catching a pass. Goodell's comments are unhelpful. What possible change to the rule would be an improvement?
It won't and he is an idiot. What he will end up with is a contradictory variety of catch/no catch variation because the rule will be broad. "Fans want catches" its the dumbest possible reading for the position fans are in. I wanted a turnover for that "catch" by Larry Fitzgerald or Jerry Rice.

The rule makes eminent sense when read or explained. But when control has to be defined in slow motion replay, it gets weird.

"Sure the ball moved under him, but he had a hand under it."

"The nose of the ball touched the ground, but he had one hand covering it and the ball doesn't seem to move."

They should dump or redefine control so that its easier to see in replay. If you do not see one or two things that define control (or lack thereof), its not a catch. The basic problem with replay is that its been given authority to get the call on the field 100% correct rather than provide conclusive proof that the call on the field was botched. They could solve a lot of problems by changing that aspect as well.