Thread: The Catch Rule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Perhaps they should chuck the rule about the ground not causing a fumble too? If you lose the ball before the whistle is blown too bad for you.
    This is the kind of thing that used to make sense, but I am not sure it does anymore. The whistle used to stop everything and early whistles were early whistles.

But with refs swallowing the whistle whenever there is a possible question about possession (to let the play run its course if turnover) the whistle often gets blown late.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    If we don't like the rule as currently stands, what is the alternative? My inclination is to change the rule in the end zone - some form of control in the end zone means TD and the play is over (like when the running back breaks the plane and then someone knocks the ball out - did he go to the ground 'with control'? Who cares, he scored the TD) Same should apply to a reception - you have control in the end zone (hold the ball, break plane) or catch with control in the end zone with feet down you have a TD and the play is over - nothing after matters.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck