Thread: Joe Whitt On Setting Up Pass Defense

Joe Whitt On Setting Up Pass Defense

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...rs/1079437001/

Of all the things discussed here, this was the one that gave me the most hope:

Whitt already has identified one necessary change. Cornerbacks and safeties will meet together almost always, rather than in separate meeting rooms. “I would say 98 percent of the time,” Whitt said. He hopes it eliminates miscommunication on the field, something that led to coverage breakdowns with alarming frequency in the 2017 season.
    I would say the previous three years were worse about communication and breakdowns than 2017, but if it gets better, I won't quibble.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packer defensive backs did lots and lots of drills in which they'd throw up their arms in confusion and shake their heads in disbelief. You had to know how to do that in order to play in a Packer defensive backfield.

But the corners and safeties practiced that move separately.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Packer defensive backs did lots and lots of drills in which they'd throw up their arms in confusion and shake their heads in disbelief. You had to know how to do that in order to play in a Packer defensive backfield.

But the corners and safeties practiced that move separately.
    Matt Stafford needs to be at their meetings. He understood the defense better than they did.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Matt Stafford needs to be at their meetings. He understood the defense better than they did.
    that's frickin' brilliant. If Belichick were the Packer HC, he would certainly hire Matthew Stafford as an unindicted co-conspirator...errrr...I mean paid consultant.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...rs/1079437001/

Of all the things discussed here, this was the one that gave me the most hope:

I would say the previous three years were worse about communication and breakdowns than 2017, but if it gets better, I won't quibble.
    I thought the problem in 2017 wasn't so much totally blown coverages as it was too much of a gap between the corners and safeties. Quarterbacks were finding those gaps. Some of that may have been due to HHCD playing so deep.

I read Doug Farrar’s Scout1000 report on Dix and one thing they dinged him for was jumping too many routes. I think Capers put him in a box to protect the deep part of the field from himself. Coverage on LOS wasn’t reliable enough for that many chances.

Joe Whitt is apparently highly regarded, and I'm not prepared to say anything to the contrary. However, we've had two recent #1 picks and a few other draft picks and FA acquisitions at Corner who are hovering just above bust. We also have our #1 pick Safety who regressed last season and a high drafted rookie who was if not a disappointment, looking unprepared for the extensive playing time he got.

I hope they at least suggest to Whitt that things need to improve.

If you have a lot of Corners who aren't adequate as top cover Corners but seem like decent second Corner players, why not consider a little bit more zone coverage? There are teams without super quality Corners who play way better pass defense than the Packers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    J
    I hope they at least suggest to Whitt that things need to improve.
    I bet they didn't. All the defensive firings, etc. were probably just coincidental. You should give 'em a call and straighten things out.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I thought the problem in 2017 wasn't so much totally blown coverages as it was too much of a gap between the corners and safeties. Quarterbacks were finding those gaps. Some of that may have been due to HHCD playing so deep.
    Even more so it was about the gap between the oppositions receivers and our DBs.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Even more so it was about the gap between the oppositions receivers and our DBs.
    Someone wrote that the key to reading the Patriot D adjustment to the Jags offense was loading the box and tight man coverage.

I have not gotten an answer to my question about whether a loose man coverage has ever been called.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

S
    I have not gotten an answer to my question about whether a loose man coverage has ever been called.
    That would be the Slowik defense.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Why would corners and safeties not be in the same meetings anyways? Especially when there have been so many issues in the past, it would seem logical that it should be the case.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Why would corners and safeties not be in the same meetings anyways? Especially when there have been so many issues in the past, it would seem logical that it should be the case.
    A Green Bay Packer Brain Thrust with 'no thrust'.

Common sense dictates that any NFL Team Secondary would have it's CB's and Safeties on the same page and all communications and practise etc. as a unit.

It's over the TOP too obvious, that a real issue with the Green Bay Packers, was at the key Management, Organizational and Coaching Level and decline / failure, since the Green Bay Packers last won a Super Bowl Title.

Common sense and BRAINS cannot be substituted for.

Packer Nation will now set as 'Full On Targets', what still remains of that Key Group; and in terms of common sense and brains. Packer President and CEO Mark Murphy and, Green Bay Packer Head Coach Mike McCarthy.

In my view, both remain in place as weak LINKS !

This will prove a major hurdle in reality seeing the Green Bay Packers with Aaron Rodgers at QB win another Super Bowl Title.

Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-02-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Patriots:

Josh Boyer
    Cornerbacks Coach

Steve Belichick
    Safeties Coach

Patriots split up into position groups after a team meeting and after a coordinator meeting three times a week. Its almost as if there is no distinction between teams today. And that meeting safeties and cornerbacks together with position coaches might go against a trend.

Or perhaps this is much ado about nothing and coordination has nothing to do with meeting groups and more to do with clear communication from the position coach in the first place.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/p...AjM/story.html

That article above is Exhibit #2 of the fact that the press has NO IDEA what makes Belichick successful. Because nothing in that piece differs substantially from the rest of the League.

Exhibit #1 is Belichick on drafting. Reporter is surprised to learn that coach who is his own GM has to really grind to catch up on scouting college prospects. You will also not be surprised to know Belichick cheats (see Bielema quotes) by asking about underclassmen who have not declared for the draft.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-coa...235044163.html

Patriots:

Josh Boyer
    Cornerbacks Coach

Steve Belichick
    Safeties Coach

Patriots split up into position groups after a team meeting and after a coordinator meeting three times a week. Its almost as if there is no distinction between teams today. And that meeting safeties and cornerbacks together with position coaches might go against a trend.

Or perhaps this is much ado about nothing and coordination has nothing to do with meeting groups and more to do with clear communication from the position coach in the first place.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/p...AjM/story.html

...And that's what they gave up over 40 points in the Super Bowl!

That and no pass rush.

It was like watching a Packers' defense. Heck, watching the Iggles' defense was like watching a Packers' defense. Quarterbacks with all day to throw. Running backs gashing the middle. Receivers and tight ends with no opponent within five yards.

Deja vu all over again.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    That's what I was wondering as well. Are they in the same meetings on other teams?