Thread: Rodgers not real confident in changes.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    All the world wanted McCarthy to clean house until he let four coaches go and then he was scapegoating. Same complaints after 2008. McGinn was aghast no one appeared in the press room to explain themselves. I think he came close to predicting McCarthy would have trouble securing quality assistants after that betrayal.

As usual, he was full of it. It doesn't make the new hires better, but it was still probably time.

I like the swap of Capers for Pettine most. I like Montgomery on the D line next. Like the Patriots guy they got for the LBs. I am nervous but hopeful about Whitt as DB coach/pass game coordinator. He could solve the issues or he could prove to be part of the problem.

The offensive changes look like treading water to me. Maybe Philbin had a magic effect before. But honestly the best news is that he is rebuilding his offense from the playbook up.
    I think he's upgraded both coordinator positions. It's probably the best situation there they've had since Capers' early years here. Quite a bit has been made of Rodgers not being happy with the QB coach change. But there's not really much evidence that Van Pelt was a good QB coach. Rodgers had uncharacteristic bad stretches in 2015 and 2016, And Hundley looked unprepared in 2017. Just because a coach is popular with his players doesn't necessarily mean he's a good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think he's upgraded both coordinator positions. It's probably the best situation there they've had since Capers' early years here. Quite a bit has been made of Rodgers not being happy with the QB coach change. But there's not really much evidence that Van Pelt was a good QB coach. Rodgers had uncharacteristic bad stretches in 2015 and 2016, And Hundley looked unprepared in 2017. Just because a coach is popular with his players doesn't necessarily mean he's a good coach.
    this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    this
    THIS X2
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I don't care if Van Pelt is a really good coach; I care that the most important employee in the whole franchise is happy. Hell, if Rodgers said he wanted his QB coach to blow him, I'd offer up any of a number of Packerrats who think they know all to take the position.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I don't care if Van Pelt is a really good coach; I care that the most important employee in the whole franchise is happy. Hell, if Rodgers said he wanted his QB coach to blow him, I'd offer up any of a number of Packerrats who think they know all to take the position.
    I want the most important employee in the whole franchise to play up to his considerable abilities and not put himself in peril so we don't have a repeat of 2017. Even the best players need good coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I want the most important employee in the whole franchise to play up to his considerable abilities and not put himself in peril so we don't have a repeat of 2017. Even the best players need good coaching.
    Mike McCarthy Fired two and let go another or three of his most productive Coaches (his 2017 Inside Linebackers and DL and QB Coaches)

What we needed to see or learn is that the Green Bay Packers are revamping their approach to strengthening and conditioning. We are always seeing the Green Bay Packer Roster amongst the most injured of by far most NFL Teams.

We need to see a strong OL or Aaron Rodgers is going to be forced out of the Pocket too much.

We need to see an addition at the WR Position that's a REAL deep threat.

We need to see a TE that can block and extent the Field.

We need to see more at the LBer Position and certainly some much more improved PASS RUSH to help if he's retained CM III look worthwhile paying.

We need a Shutdown CB but if 'the Pass Rush' can be certainly upgraded, then the Secondary will have less heat on it and therefore look better.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

The problems, which have been growing since 2011 on offense, definitely extend beyond the QB coach. I think they extend beyond the offensive coordinator but as I don't actually know the precise impact of the OC under McCarthy (other than installing a practice plan during the week and planning meetings) I can't be sure about this one.

Its not going to be fixed by the coordinator. The Head Coach is going to have to allow his offense to change significantly. From the no huddle and tempo to throwing behind the LOS, changes made in the last six years have been a pretty mixed bag and have only partially staved off a decline. As a body of work, its hard to complain. But as an Offense dominant team, its not been enough.

I know I am beginning to sound like wist, but go back and watch the playoff game versus the 49ers in Green Bay. It wasn't the defense that failed to deliver (though they had a spectacular fail at the end). It was the offense failing to make mincemeat out of a good defense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The problems, which have been growing since 2011 on offense, definitely extend beyond the QB coach. I think they extend beyond the offensive coordinator but as I don't actually know the precise impact of the OC under McCarthy (other than installing a practice plan during the week and planning meetings) I can't be sure about this one.

Its not going to be fixed by the coordinator. The Head Coach is going to have to allow his offense to change significantly. From the no huddle and tempo to throwing behind the LOS, changes made in the last six years have been a pretty mixed bag and have only partially staved off a decline. As a body of work, its hard to complain. But as an Offense dominant team, its not been enough.

I know I am beginning to sound like wist, but go back and watch the playoff game versus the 49ers in Green Bay. It wasn't the defense that failed to deliver (though they had a spectacular fail at the end). It was the offense failing to make mincemeat out of a good defense.
    I agree this has to happen. The game is fluid and there is a reason coaches don't last real long. They get set in their ways and the game adjusts around them. Only the very best manage to change with it. The MM offense is stale and hasn't changed a bit. They have the perfect RB for todays game in Montgomery, but he spent most his time pass blocking cuz "thats the way I've always done it"
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.