Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
All the world wanted McCarthy to clean house until he let four coaches go and then he was scapegoating. Same complaints after 2008. McGinn was aghast no one appeared in the press room to explain themselves. I think he came close to predicting McCarthy would have trouble securing quality assistants after that betrayal.

As usual, he was full of it. It doesn't make the new hires better, but it was still probably time.

I like the swap of Capers for Pettine most. I like Montgomery on the D line next. Like the Patriots guy they got for the LBs. I am nervous but hopeful about Whitt as DB coach/pass game coordinator. He could solve the issues or he could prove to be part of the problem.

The offensive changes look like treading water to me. Maybe Philbin had a magic effect before. But honestly the best news is that he is rebuilding his offense from the playbook up.
I think he's upgraded both coordinator positions. It's probably the best situation there they've had since Capers' early years here. Quite a bit has been made of Rodgers not being happy with the QB coach change. But there's not really much evidence that Van Pelt was a good QB coach. Rodgers had uncharacteristic bad stretches in 2015 and 2016, And Hundley looked unprepared in 2017. Just because a coach is popular with his players doesn't necessarily mean he's a good coach.