Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ishmael Flicks

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    If Disney completes the Fox buyout, you will get your wish.
    Perhaps its naivete but when you're going from 6 media companies that control everything to 5, it seems hard to ignore antitrust law.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Perhaps its naivete but when you're going from 6 media companies that control everything to 5, it seems hard to ignore antitrust law.
    How would Warner versus Disney be any more problematic than Marvel versus DC? I never saw anyone try to run anti-trust against the comics companies. Maybe because the stakes weren't as high....
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    ^^^ It's not like Reed was going around slapping the shit out of Susan Storm every day. More prevalent and dated are the female cliches of shopping, changing hair styles, incessant hysteria/weeping, and swooning over Prince Namor.

The FF movies were generally poorly made. I was really pissed when a 200 foot tall arrogant Galactus did not appear. The tan-in-a-can collagen-lipped Susan Storm look was disturbing.

I forgot about who owned which rights.

I stopped collecting comics (or my brother did) around the mid eighties. Still, I think my bro has the entire Amazing Spider Man, PPTSS, most of X-men, FF, Hulk, and Avengers (plus a lot of complete short run series) in plastic somewhere. Probably several thousand comics. Lot of great stories in there. Treasure trove really.
    Well Bruce Banner's dad did abuse his mom every day and that aged fine because he was supposed to be an abusive guy. Reed slapping Susan in the face and telling her to shut up only happened a few times but its memorable because it was Reed. Such a different time.

I wasn't much of a collector. The comic bubble burst right when I would have cared so I just kept up with the stories. Every penny I had was going into trading card games instead.

Make sure you keep all those old titles. They don't write em like they used to. Marvel has gone full PC/SJW these days. Spiderman is black, the Hulk is asian, Ta Nehisi Coates writes Black Panther, and is about to take over Captain America.

How would Warner versus Disney be any more problematic than Marvel versus DC? I never saw anyone try to run anti-trust against the comics companies. Maybe because the stakes weren't as high....
    Disney and 21st Century Fox are a hell of a lot more than just comics. Disney is everything from films to ABC to newspapers. Same with Fox.

Folks, as much as I appreciate the discussion, this thread is strictly for me to give snarky one liners about content I personally enjoyed so you all can enjoy what I enjoy.

Disney and 21st Century Fox are a hell of a lot more than just comics. Disney is everything from films to ABC to newspapers. Same with Fox.
    First: duh. But I thought we were just talking about movie rights to comic book heroes. Second: Fox will split in the Disney deal, with the news going separate. Even if the value amounts are different, it matters, because a merger that consolidates 'news' control matters more than entertainment to the political class (they never understand how much entertainment influences culture and politics, but whatever).
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Folks, as much as I appreciate the discussion, this thread is strictly for me to give snarky one liners about content I personally enjoyed so you all can enjoy what I enjoy.
    Don't tell me what to wear to my prom.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Whatever our predictions are for the next movie will be wrong.

But my prediction will be that Black Widow takes the big leap of death. Hulk finally comes out, but it's not just Hulk, It is WORLD BREAKER HULK!!! Or even better HEART OF THE MONSTER HULK will absolutely crush Thanos. Now Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet is still a different story. Thanos with the gauntlet controls the fundamentally forces of the universe. So no one is going to over power Thanos. Thanos without the gauntlet will get completely pummeled by World Breaker Hulk.

So Thanos will lose the gauntlet by cunning not force.
    I think when Scarlet Witch messed with Hulk in Age of Ultron, that was World Breaker Hulk. If not then perhaps in the events of Ragnarok. I say that because Thor: Ragnarok is a combo of the Ragnarok and Planet Hulk comic events and when the Hulk comes back from the gladiator planet is when he's supposed to go World Breaker and face Tony in the hulkbuster armor. But that happened already in the movie universe.

I like the idea of Heart of the Monster Hulk being in a future Dr. Strange movie.

I think when Scarlet Witch messed with Hulk in Age of Ultron, that was World Breaker Hulk. If not then perhaps in the events of Ragnarok. I say that because Thor: Ragnarok is a combo of the Ragnarok and Planet Hulk comic events and when the Hulk comes back from the gladiator planet is when he's supposed to go World Breaker and face Tony in the hulkbuster armor. But that happened already in the movie universe.

I like the idea of Heart of the Monster Hulk being in a future Dr. Strange movie.
    I must have missed a few of these comics and movies... 'hulkbuster' 'world breaker' 'planet hulk' ???

Friends. The sitcom.

I must have missed a few of these comics and movies... 'hulkbuster' 'world breaker' 'planet hulk' ???
    In the comics the hulk is conspired against and sent away in a ship by a cabal of Reed, Stark, Blackbolt, and Strange. He crash lands on a gladiator planet starting what is known as the Planet Hulk event. Hulk comes back to Earth more pissed than ever and thus stronger than ever. This started what was called the World War Hulk event. Banner kind of lets go of the wheel and just lets the Hulk rage. This form is said to be World Breaker Hulk. At that level his stomp can cause an earthquake on the whole East Coast. Iron man had a special giant suit of armor made just for the occasion of having to deal with a rogue Hulk called Hulkbuster armor. He puts it on but gets wrecked.

In these things happen but differently. In Age of Ultron Hulk goes apeshit after Scarlett Witch fucks with his mind. Iron man dons the Hulkbuster armor then, so I think this was supposed to be World Breaker Hulk. Banner loses confidence in his ability to control the Hulk and flies off in a ship at the end of Age of Ultron. In Thor:Ragnarok we learn he's landed on the same planet depicted in Planet Hulk only its run by Jeff Goldblum. Hulk leaves with Thor and really has no reason to be record setting angry.

Heart of the Monster is a bunch of obscure characters and soap operaish events lead to Hulk being stuck in perpetual combat in the dark dimension. After doing this for a while he sets a new personal best for being pissed. All the details are way too muddy for a movie but the idea of trapping the Hulk in the dark dimension to get him super pissed and then uncorking him on something tough would be easy enough for Dr Strange to do.

^^^ a lot can happen in 30 years...

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    In the comics the hulk is conspired against and sent away in a ship by a cabal of Reed, Stark, Blackbolt, and Strange. He crash lands on a gladiator planet starting what is known as the Planet Hulk event. Hulk comes back to Earth more pissed than ever and thus stronger than ever. This started what was called the World War Hulk event. Banner kind of lets go of the wheel and just lets the Hulk rage. This form is said to be World Breaker Hulk. At that level his stomp can cause an earthquake on the whole East Coast. Iron man had a special giant suit of armor made just for the occasion of having to deal with a rogue Hulk called Hulkbuster armor. He puts it on but gets wrecked.

In these things happen but differently. In Age of Ultron Hulk goes apeshit after Scarlett Witch fucks with his mind. Iron man dons the Hulkbuster armor then, so I think this was supposed to be World Breaker Hulk. Banner loses confidence in his ability to control the Hulk and flies off in a ship at the end of Age of Ultron. In Thor:Ragnarok we learn he's landed on the same planet depicted in Planet Hulk only its run by Jeff Goldblum. Hulk leaves with Thor and really has no reason to be record setting angry.

Heart of the Monster is a bunch of obscure characters and soap operaish events lead to Hulk being stuck in perpetual combat in the dark dimension. After doing this for a while he sets a new personal best for being pissed. All the details are way too muddy for a movie but the idea of trapping the Hulk in the dark dimension to get him super pissed and then uncorking him on something tough would be easy enough for Dr Strange to do.
    What I have learned the last few years of the MCU is that they borrow whatever they want to from the comics to create new plots, and themes throughout their movies. Comic book dorks like ourselves can tear the movies apart and call out the flaws we see in relation to the comics or we can sit back and enjoy the fact that our comic book heroes are dominating the big screen in ways we never thought imaginable.

^^^ I don't care if they follow any story lines or not, just whether the stories and characters are interesting. The first two Spiderman movies, and the Tony Stark and Captain America characters were pretty well drawn. Nothing else really stands out that much to me. Maybe some X-men stuff but they poisoned that with SJW shit. Aunt May was unreasonably hot in the third reboot.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    So far I'm loving the latest Spiderman. Much closer to the comic book than the horrid Tobey McGuire ones.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    So far I'm loving the latest Spiderman. Much closer to the comic book than the horrid Tobey McGuire ones.
    I think it depends on the era. McGuire was closer to the original Parker. Also, Aunt May isn't supposed to be hotter than Mary Jane or Gwen.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    To be fair, I never liked Spider-Man.

The X-Men are down the wrong path with Fox. There were a ton of stories to be told and they just fucked it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    What I have learned the last few years of the MCU is that they borrow whatever they want to from the comics to create new plots, and themes throughout their movies. Comic book dorks like ourselves can tear the movies apart and call out the flaws we see in relation to the comics or we can sit back and enjoy the fact that our comic book heroes are dominating the big screen in ways we never thought imaginable.
    If any of these movies adhered to the comics they would be clunky and boring soap operas. Plus Marvel has long operated in a multiverse that effectively ruins any of the obsessions over canon typical of normal nerdbases. For the most part the MCU writers do a great job of telling better and simpler version of these comic stories while winking at the nerds with allusions and easter eggs.

High school Peter Parker is my favorite Peter Parker. This latest reboot has been by far my favorite. How far has Marvel come that now you shoehorn Iron Man into Spiderman's origin story to get people to come see it?

The strength of the X-Men has always been that it's a compelling conflict. It's ideology of MLK vs Malcolm X. Done well, the bad guys aren't evil; they are just wrong. This made the X-Men the jewel of Marvel for years and the lack of it is what makes so many of their current books utter trash. The SJW writers of today's Marvel cast the straw man versions of their political opponents as villains. Ironically, the consequentialist ethics of activism make for extremely compelling villains as with Killmonger in the last Black Panther movie. I read several commentaries from the usual SJW suspects talking about how Killmonger was a hero in the aftermath of that film. Terrific villains make for terrific stories because the conflict is real.