Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ishmael Flicks

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    The strength of the X-Men has always been that it's a compelling conflict. It's ideology of MLK vs Malcolm X. Done well, the bad guys aren't evil; they are just wrong.
    This is a good insight.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Avengers 4 new title: "Infinite Avengers"

MCU is going to make Avengers 4 into the biggest movie release since "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace". If not bigger

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    This new Avengers flick is lame, in my humble stoic opinion. I mean, [SPOILER ALERT!] a band of hotshot superheroes failed miserably to defeat the antisocial villain in 2.5 hours? Lame. Superman by himself could've annihilated the villain in 3 minutes.

Then there's the part where Dr. Strange gave up a stone in order to save Ironman's life, as if the hundreds of trillions of lives that eventually perished after Thanos acquired all the stones aren't as divine as Ironman's. I mean, that's akin to Rand and Tex's deity saving His beloved Son at the expense of humanity.

The only nice thing about this flick is Elizabeth Olsen's acting and hotness.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    This new Avengers flick is lame, in my humble stoic opinion. I mean, [SPOILER ALERT!] a band of hotshot superheroes failed miserably to defeat the antisocial villain in 2.5 hours? Lame. Superman by himself could've annihilated the villain in 3 minutes.

Then there's the part where Dr. Strange gave up a stone in order to save Ironman's life, as if the hundreds of trillions of lives that eventually perished after Thanos acquired all the stones aren't as divine as Ironman's. I mean, that's akin to Rand and Tex's deity saving His beloved Son at the expense of humanity.

The only nice thing about this flick is Elizabeth Olsen's acting and hotness.
    You must have fallen asleep for the part when Dr. Strange used the time gem to explore possible futures and reported that he found one in which the Avengers win.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

You must have fallen asleep for the part when Dr. Strange used the time gem to explore possible futures and reported that he found one in which the Avengers win.
    So the events in this flick aren't real, they're merely figments of Strange's imagination? If so, lame. If not, it's still lame that the good doc is willing to sacrifice hundreds of billions of innocent lives for an (eventual) Avengers victory.

So the events in this flick aren't real, they're merely figments of Strange's imagination? If so, lame. If not, it's still lame that the good doc is willing to sacrifice hundreds of billions of innocent lives for an Avengers victory.
    One, it’s a movie not reality. Two, all the stones together can alter time and reality. Out of 14million futures doc looked to, one succeeded. Do you understand foreshadowing?
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    One, it’s a movie not reality. Two, all the stones together can alter time and reality. Out of 14million futures doc looked to, one succeeded. Do you understand foreshadowing?
    I understand we're talking fictional stuff here. But even in the fictional book that Rand and Tex and countless other brainwashed folks worship, the One was sacrificed for the sake of humanity. Half of the universe's population now dead while Ironman lives? Unjust. Ironman has saved a bunch of lives, but there are plenty of other superheroes out there to take his place. Strange should have let Ironman die, and then avenge his death with the other Avengers.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 05-10-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Yeah I mean it was pretty obvious that sparing Tony was with intent from the dialogue like "We're in the endgame now", and "This is the only way". Strange said earlier in the movie that he would save the Stone over Parker or Stark.

It will be Avengers: Endgame IMO because it works on two levels. One, they will obviously defeat Thanos and travel through time (there are lots of set pics of A4 with them in the A1 gear), and B) it will be the end of feature films for Stark and Cap. I would bet my shirt Cap dies saving Stark, and Bucky becomes the new Cap.

APB I'm worried you still haven't connected these dots so let me do it for you. Dr Strange knows exactly 1 way to win. Then he does something that seems crazy. It's safe to assume that he did the crazy thing because he knew the only way to win involved Tony Stark being alive. Yes half of people died, but they did so in a universe where you can put on a glove and undo that with another snap of the fingers. This isn't Game of Thrones. Everybody is coming back.

Tank has never been too bright. How’s dads CC statement lately Tanky?

Read 31s post. Then read it again. There’s only 1 way to win and that’s by giving up the stone. It’s basically plot slapping you across the face. No thought required.

APB I'm worried you still haven't connected these dots so let me do it for you. Dr Strange knows exactly 1 way to win. Then he does something that seems crazy. It's safe to assume that he did the crazy thing because he knew the only way to win involved Tony Stark being alive. Yes half of people died, but they did so in a universe where you can put on a glove and undo that with another snap of the fingers. This isn't Game of Thrones. Everybody is coming back.
    Aegon Targaryen came back from the dead in GOT, and therefore, your point is moot.

There’s only 1 way to win and that’s by giving up the stone. It’s basically plot slapping you across the face. No thought required.
    Which makes the flick lame. Why waste time and energy fighting Thanos at all? Why not just hand the rock over to Thanos while Ironman is on a safe heaven in a far far far away galaxy til he's ready to fulfill his prophecy?

And just when the Avengers are about to cut off Thanos' hand, and thus separating the villain from the all-powerful rocks, the Guardian of the Galaxy head gets mad at Thanos for killing his girlfriend and subsequently fucks up the ordeal. Yo, idiot, we can bring your chick back with a snap of the finger! Lame.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Read the damn Infinity series, the movie is doing a decent job keeping with the original story.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Which makes the flick lame. Why waste time and energy fighting Thanos at all? Why not just hand the rock over to Thanos while Ironman is on a safe heaven in a far far far away galaxy til he's ready to fulfill his prophecy?

And just when the Avengers are about to cut off Thanos' hand, and thus separating the villain from the all-powerful rocks, the Guardian of the Galaxy head gets mad at Thanos for killing his girlfriend and subsequently fucks up the ordeal. Yo, idiot, we can bring your chick back with a snap of the finger! Lame.
    Before I answer your questions, lets be clear that this is a comic book movie. If your enjoyment requires not suspending belief and plots that hold up to rigorous scrutiny, you're not prepared for the genre.

But as it turns out your scrutiny wasn't rigorous. Strange didn't make a prophecy. He looked at 14 million of infinite possible futures. He found 1 where the good guys win but that doesn't mean there aren't others. He also didn't take the time to scope out these futures until they were already waiting around to spring their trap on Thanos so this is a bit late to hide Tony Stark. It also doesn't mean Strange knew their trap wouldn't work, which it almost did. And yes Chis Pratt romanced the dog pretty hard.

Red Arrow is a-OK. I've seen better spy flicks. Full of American propaganda, as if the Americans don't torture people and they really care about the rest of the fucking world. And the American individual freedom crap is, well, crap - Americans are all slaves of the the fuckin' capitalists!

And why the fuck are the Russians speaking English? It's like watching the Tom Cruise flick Valkyrie all over again, where the fuckin' Germans all speak fuckin' English.

The beauteous Jenifer Lawrence's acting, as always, is outstanding.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Read the damn Infinity series, the movie is doing a decent job keeping with the original story.
    Won't ever do this, but I did see the movie.

Correct me if I'm wrong but
    1) Hulk turned into a pussy because he got beat and refused to come out to play, right?
    2) 'Star Lord' Sacrificed half of humanity because he teared up over his gf? (They were removing the glove until he blew it, no?)
    3) Thor lost half of humanity as well because he got in a chest shot instead of a head shot, right?

otherwise it was pretty compelling story. Vastly and wonderfully grandiose,

small observations:

Too much battling with the 'Venom'-like dogs
    Regardless of the business side of it, FF, Galactus and The Watcher are conspicuous in their absence. You could even just have a throwaway line saying that the FF and The Watcher are countering Glactus' attempts to fold the universe into a coin purse. Anyway, what is the hierarchy - are those stones more powerful than The Watcher?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Won't ever do this, but I did see the movie.

Correct me if I'm wrong but
    1) Hulk turned into a pussy because he got beat and refused to come out to play, right?
    2) 'Star Lord' Sacrificed half of humanity because he teared up over his gf? (They were removing the glove until he blew it, no?)
    3) Thor lost half of humanity as well because he got in a chest shot instead of a head shot, right?

otherwise it was pretty compelling story. Vastly and wonderfully grandiose,

small observations:

Too much battling with the 'Venom'-like dogs
    Regardless of the business side of it, FF, Galactus and The Watcher are conspicuous in their absence. You could even just have a throwaway line saying that the FF and The Watcher are countering Glactus' attempts to fold the universe into a coin purse. Anyway, what is the hierarchy - are those stones more powerful than The Watcher?
    1) I think the Hulk turning chicken shit does two things. First, Thanos with gauntlet was nerfed quite a bit for the movie. Beating down the Hulk decisively was probably the only way to establish he's still very formidable. Second, in the aftermath of the comic Infinity Gauntlet, the Hulk is shrunken down to bite size and has a few adventures in the sewers of New York. This is just a less dumb way to take him out of the action. Thanos's goons wouldn't have been much trouble for a non-emo Hulk.

2) Yes Star Lord shat the bed.

3) That's what Thanos said so I guess I believe him. Again he's nerfed. Comic Thanos + Infinity Gauntlet knows everyone's thoughts before they know them and can't be touched unless he allows it.

The stones are way more powerful than a Watcher. The infinity gauntlet puts you in full control of your universe, but not every universe in Marvel's multiverse. In the Marvel hierarchy this puts a being with a fully blinged out gauntlet somewhere below the Living Tribunal but above Marvels' other cosmic entities including Galactus. In the comics where cosmic entities do more stuff, Thanos imprisoned most of them with the gauntlet. He briefly replaced Eternity itself, which I guess is like becoming the Universe. The limits of the Infinity Gauntlet stop when they bump up against the Living Tribunal. This is a neutral entity concerned with keeping some kind of order in the Multiverse. You have to start lawyering with them if your ambitions get too big.

One theory about Hulk is that he is tired of just being the hired muscle. If they had the rights to make an actual Marvel Hulk movie, they might not have had to add it into this story.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    One theory about Hulk is that he is tired of just being the hired muscle. If they had the rights to make an actual Marvel Hulk movie, they might not have had to add it into this story.
    That, and in Ragnorak he believes that Earth hates him and he doesn't want to go back. Then he's forced back there and he's not willing to help out people who would rather he never come back. Hulk is really a giant child whose sulking ability can rival his strength.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!