Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ishmael Flicks

Far from Home - great. How does Disney make _that_ movie though without a Spiderman contract for the next 5-10 years locked up? Could have gone in any number of directions, and the one they chose really means they need to work it out with Sony.

Endgame was a master piece but I really think Infinity War and Endgame would have been better as three movies and like 8 hours combined instead of the 5.5. Endgame had good pacing and was fun but I wish they had gone deeper into just about everything. Seemed a little bit rushed to me.

Comic book heroes, while sometimes entertaining, do not compare with films like Casablanca or Cleopatra or The Godfather. Hercules and Sinbad have been classic heros that possessed great physical strength and/or cleverness, yet those characters have not projected so well as when the legend Ray Harryhausen did the special effects in films like "Jason and the Argonauts", "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad", and "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger".

My favorite films are/were Westerns. Sadly though they don't make them like they used to. Stars like John Wayne and Randolph Scott, and or Yul Brynner. In my opinion, "Silverado" may have been the last great western film made. Films like "Lonesome Dove" and "Quigley;Down Under" do deserve an official nod, but they are not in the same class "The Magnificent Seven" or "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" or "High Noon" with Gary Cooper.

What makes a great Film or Novel great is first a great story. That story then must be shaped into a film script that holds true to the original writers ideas. Then casting the parts must continue along the same path. Finally the Producer/s and the Director need to fulfill the original stories concepts without injecting their own egos into the story. John Ford, Howard Hawks, and others understood these principles and produced films that still hold up today.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    Comic book heroes, while sometimes entertaining, do not compare with films like Casablanca or Cleopatra or The Godfather.
    and yet, you just compared them, albeit unfavorably.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Well it seems to have become an expected norm that following any of my post to this forum, that "mraynrand" ( a certified idiot ) feels it necessary to post his vomit in an attempt to cast a negative shadow on my postings. Even though I have officially chosen to ignore his dribble, I have noted his regular habit.

I wish to apologise to the members for this behavior, but I shall continue to post into the future. I can do nothing about the members less than poor behavior. Only the Administrator and Monitors in this forum can take any action against the childish and often vulgar behavior of this member. I'm quite sure that he takes pride in his moronic behavior, but in the best interest of this site and the impression it presents to potential NEW members I ask you to consider the picture that this members behavior presents.

Well it seems to have become an expected norm that following any of my post to this forum, that "mraynrand" ( a certified idiot ).
    I object. I have no certification.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

BTW, I still like Yul Brynner best in 'Westworld.' Absolutely terrifying.

Sony and Disney kissed and made up. Spiderman back in the MCU!

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Sony and Disney kissed and made up. Spiderman back in the MCU!
    Yay!
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Many of the best ever films are adapted from great literary works. Writers like Stevenson and Clemens and Dickens wrote in a time when the closest thing to a movie was the stage. They and others were successful due to well crafted stories that developed timeless characters that move the readers emotions from anger to delight to deep thought (as in the great mystery novels).

Yes spiderman and the hulk and such others can be entertaining, but they don't have the story depth James Michener, or the subtle emotions that Ernest Hemingway cleverly gave his characters, or page turning drama of Tom Clancy's epics. For me Iron Man was entertaining, but it takes a back seat to films like Spartacus (starring Kirk Douglas) or Ben Hur (starring Charlton Heston). Zombies and Space Monsters may make money for their producers, but they will be forgotten as their replaced by the next fad of the day. However classics like Gone with the Wind and Cleopatra still hold interest due to being more than just the good guys chase and kill the giant evil spider.

Just because a film is older should not be a reason to dismiss it. Many versions of the Dickens classic "A Christmas Carol" have been made, but for me none has yet to eclipse the 1952 version staring Alastair Sim as Scrooge.

M
    Yes spiderman and the hulk and such others can be entertaining, but they don't have the story depth James Michener,
    Did you ever read Centennial and/or watch the miniseries? That's a great American epic.

Just can't stop yourself can you. mraynrand, I don't have to read your post to know that once again you have shown your low quality. Possibly at some point you will finally go to far and get banned from this forum. Until them, you can go back to your hog wallow.

Just can't stop yourself can you. mraynrand, I don't have to read your post to know that once again you have shown your low quality. Possibly at some point you will finally go to far and get banned from this forum. Until them, you can go back to your hog wallow.
    You should read it. It's a legit question.

Sorry folks, the "Diplomatic Immunity Rat" (key word rat) is a pest too.

I don't think Radagast has ever read any Michener, let alone Centennial. Great book, by the way. We got the BOT for a road trip out to VColorado a few years ago. Good road novel.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I'm not saying it's fantastic literature, but Marvel Comics have been addressing issues that mainstream movies and books did not touch during the 70s, 80s, and 90th. They touched on racism, people with physical disabilities, and mental issues. It says something when they intentionally make the most powerful mutant wheelchair-bound. Stan Lee has said repeatedly that he wanted to touch as wide a base as possible but especially the young generation about how everyone should be treated with dignity and respect. Also, unlike DC, Marvel made the vast majority of their heros with big flaws that the general public could relate to. It also wasn't just one line of books, it was over the majority of them on a monthly basis. There's a lot to be said for that.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I don't think Radagast has ever read any Michener, let alone Centennial.
    Not so at all. Michener works I've read include Chesapeake, Alaska, Space, and Centennial. As for reading on a plane or bus or in a moving car, I've never been one that could read under such conditions. I've also read most of Ian Fleming's James Bond books and countless Zane Gray westerns. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I've also read most of Ian Fleming's James Bond books ...

Those are generally very good. Of the movies, most people dislike "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" but of the books I find it to be one of the best. The spy game was finding a crack in the enemy's armor, a backdoor way into his world so that you could destroy him from within. Not a lot of gadgets really, but a deep understanding of the enemy so as to find his weakest spot and attack there. With Blofeld, it was his pride and vanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I'm not saying it's fantastic literature, but Marvel Comics have been addressing issues that mainstream movies and books did not touch during the 70s, 80s, and 90th. They touched on racism, people with physical disabilities, and mental issues. It says something when they intentionally make the most powerful mutant wheelchair-bound. Stan Lee has said repeatedly that he wanted to touch as wide a base as possible but especially the young generation about how everyone should be treated with dignity and respect. Also, unlike DC, Marvel made the vast majority of their heros with big flaws that the general public could relate to. It also wasn't just one line of books, it was over the majority of them on a monthly basis. There's a lot to be said for that.
    Stan Lee was really great. And the comic book is a valid art form. There's skill in the writing - drama, theme, and characterization that Lee brought, but there's also a real skill in the artwork - not only the pictures themselves, but the layouts of the stories themselves. A single panel or a group of panels together done right can tell you everything about what a character is going through, and pace a story. This is a fun exercise - look through an old comic book and see if you can follow the story without the words. In the best comics, this is possible. In other words, when the words augment a story, but the story doesn't depend on the words, you know the comic is great.

Someone please tell mraynrand that "Fun with Dick and Jane" is still available and would offer him a literary challenge.

See Jane. See Jane run. (a real page turner in W. Va.)