Very interesting articles on Hoody Genius.

The secret of Bill Belichick

Vox Day writes:

I've been very impressed by Bill Belichick over the years. He is one of the greatest NFL coaches of all time, if not the greatest. But one thing has always confused me about him. He is both a superlative strategist AND a superlative tactician. This is not normal. In fact, this should not even be possible, due to the way that two entirely different types of thought processes are involved.

Now, an intelligent man can certainly perform both functions at an above-average level, but to be better than nearly everyone else at both is so unlikely that it borders on the impossible. However, it turns out that Belichick is not the rare exception after all, that he is merely a great tactician. How, then, has he become known as such a great football strategist as well?

The answer is that there are two Bill Belichicks. Or rather, there is a brilliant strategist who is entirely content to remain in Belichick's shadow. The two best friends have been a team since their year together at Phillips Exeter Academy, but it is Ernie Adams, not Bill Belichick, who is the literal genius. The interesting thing is that neither the sports media nor most of the Patriots players truly understand the nature of their incredibly effective partnership.
Unlike the other two, Harmon knows what's up. Belichick is the leader and the tactical genius, and Adams is the strategic brain. He is a statistics quant who "helps the coaching staff" by writing the weekly game plans which Belichick then implements. In game development terms, Adams is the designer and Belichick is the producer. That's how the Patriots are able to completely change their style from week to week. That's also why it has almost been irrelevant who has been serving as offensive or defensive coordinator over the years, and why very successful OCs and DCs have struggled after leaving New England.
How do I know this? Well, you see, I have my own connections at Phillips Exeter Academy, both friends and family. And that's why we're not likely to see Brady leave New England before he retires, no matter what scenarios the media happens to concoct. Brady, more than anyone, understands how important Adams is to his historic success.

This also may explain why Belichick never talks much about football strategy. First, it's really not his thing. And second, doing so would almost certainly reveal his unexpected limitations on the subject.
Ernie Adams’ role with Patriots appears to be discovered

Ryan Hannable writes:

One player did have a little more to say than the others — cornerback Eric Rowe.

“All I know is he’s probably one of the smartest guys next to Bill [Belichick],” he said. “He’s the one that breaks down offense, defense, special teams. Usually he picks out the plays that are probably going to get ran against us and those are the ones that we practice.”

Rowe added: “He plays a critical part. He’s seen so much film — I remember I asked him about a play and he recalled a play from like the early 2000s and the game and the score. I was like, ‘Oh my Gosh.’ He plays a critical piece. He obviously has an idea of what other teams are going to run against us so we can prepare for them in practice.”

Based on Rowe’s explanation, perhaps this makes sense as to why Adams studies the opponents' side of the field before every game.

While it is still not totally clear exactly what Adams does, it is certainly clear he’s a valuable part of the Patriots’ success.
Tom Brady won his 3rd NFL MVP award this year. How much did Ernie Adams have to do with that?

IMO Tom Brady is as much a product of the Patriot system as he is of his own skills and talent. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's hugely overrated. I read this week that Vonn Miller (I think) said that the way to beat Brady is to sack him. I've always thought so myself. The thing is, how do you get to him?

The same was true about Payton Manning. Neither QB's are gifted with Aaron Rodgers level escapability. Both rely on getting rid of the ball quickling, knowing what the opposition is likely to do and knowing where the game plan says their guys should be.

I'm expecting Brady to get sacked today. Hopefully the Eagles D will make him look like the overrated old man he is.

[Unless of course Ernie Adams has done his homework and figured out where the Eagles D is vulnerable so Brady can avoid the sacks and pick it apart. LOL]