Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
Let this serve also as a reminder why FAs from other teams are often terrible choices; no one knows their shortcomings like their original team. Everyone remembers Larry Brown, right? [/url]
Yes, I'm old enough to remember Brown. Had a couple of gimme picks off "Smokin' Bum" O'Donnell in Super Bowl 30 (unlike Cutler, O'Donnell literally smoked cigarettes - or fags, as the Brits are fond of saying - during games). Signed a lucrative contract with Oakland afterward with Al Davis' blessing

I also remember the Polar Bear signing an aging, washed out, injury-prone free agent corner named Charles Woodson. And the Niners literally purchased their last Super Bowl win, which included the acquisition of a cocky free agent named "Neon" Deion Sanders, among others. And, oh, ever since that midget corner left Green Bay as a free agent and signed with the Bolts, he has been a-pimpin'.

Butler is too slow for my liking, so I ain't arguing for the German Shepherd to sign the Super Bowl hero. All I'm saying is, free agency (and trades) can and does help teams win Super Bowls. Just ask the Balding Eggles.