Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Official Super Bowl LII Game Day Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    This was thoroughly discussed yesterday on the NFL Network.

There were several factors that led to Belichick benching Malcolm Butler and the likely deciding factor and what Bill Belichick demands of everyone on his Roster, or to be fully engaged in winning the next game. Malcolm Butler screwed himself and is IMO done as a New England Patriot for at least his immediate future and the NFL.

He needs to prove that he has learned the Bill Belichick way ! He won't prove that now on The New England Patriots.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-englan...ing--114671391
    Butler's benching is nothing but a conspiracy masterminded by Patricia to get Butler to sign with Detroit at the start of free agency. Had Butler played and picked off Foles in the clutch to seal yet another Super Bowl victory for NE, Ole Bill would have no choice but to franchise the Super Bowl hero.

In all seriousness, I concur with those who believe that Belichick erred in benching Butler. Unless you have a better replacement, and from what I've read, NE didn't, you have to go with the guy with the experience, especially in the NFL's grandest stage. Butler's a Super Bowl hero, for Gaylord Focker's sake! Bench Butler for Rowe? A corner who makes Damarious Randall look like Darrell Green?
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Malcolm Butler was so poorly regarded via the Patriot Way that he started 97.8% of the defensive snaps this year. Definitely sounds like a guy they don't believe in.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Let this serve also as a reminder why FAs from other teams are often terrible choices; no one knows their shortcomings like their original team. Everyone remembers Larry Brown, right? [/url]
    Yes, I'm old enough to remember Brown. Had a couple of gimme picks off "Smokin' Bum" O'Donnell in Super Bowl 30 (unlike Cutler, O'Donnell literally smoked cigarettes - or fags, as the Brits are fond of saying - during games). Signed a lucrative contract with Oakland afterward with Al Davis' blessing

I also remember the Polar Bear signing an aging, washed out, injury-prone free agent corner named Charles Woodson. And the Niners literally purchased their last Super Bowl win, which included the acquisition of a cocky free agent named "Neon" Deion Sanders, among others. And, oh, ever since that midget corner left Green Bay as a free agent and signed with the Bolts, he has been a-pimpin'.

Butler is too slow for my liking, so I ain't arguing for the German Shepherd to sign the Super Bowl hero. All I'm saying is, free agency (and trades) can and does help teams win Super Bowls. Just ask the Balding Eggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Yes, I'm old enough to remember Brown. Had a couple of gimme picks off "Smokin' Bum" O'Donnell in Super Bowl 30 (unlike Cutler, O'Donnell literally smoked cigarettes - or fags, as the Brits are fond of saying - during games). Signed a lucrative contract with Oakland afterward with Al Davis' blessing

I also remember the Polar Bear signing an aging, washed out, injury-prone free agent corner named Charles Woodson. And the Niners literally purchased their last Super Bowl win, which included the acquisition of a cocky free agent named "Neon" Deion Sanders, among others. And, oh, ever since that midget corner left Green Bay as a free agent and signed with the Bolts, he has been a-pimpin'.

Butler is too slow for my liking, so I ain't arguing for the German Shepherd to sign the Super Bowl hero. All I'm saying is, free agency (and trades) can and does help teams win Super Bowls. Just ask the Balding Eggles.
    If you get the right player, any player acquisition helps. Its the hit rate of getting the right player plus the cost that is the problem.

Ted did not abandon FA, he just used it infrequently. He used it when certain (Woodson, Peppers) in dire need (Pickett) or in dire need but suffering from a head cold (couple of safeties, Frank Walker, Brandon Chillar). If the hit rate is the same as drafting (and what I have read said its about 50%) then its vastly more expensive than the draft with no more certainty.

If you have no choice, you are going to get hurt worse than in the draft. Going after role players makes sense since they won't be signing in the dumb money portion. But I would not mind the Packers getting in on more FA tours early in the process just to see what happens (and I think that is what BG was talking about in his press conference). But to make that pay, you have to be certain and hit better than 500.

I definitely think they could do more trades and fill some gaps in depth. I don't want them trading many draft picks though unless they are going to start dumping vets like the Pats do to get the picks back.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    "brady looks like the overconfident european assassin who dies in the last twenty minutes of an action movie"

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    "brady looks like the overconfident european assassin who dies in the last twenty minutes of an action movie"

They didn't lose because of Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    They didn't lose because of Brady.
    no shit
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

So as Collingsworth was confused about how Corey Clements TD could be allowed to stand, he opined that control and two feet needed to be re-establised after the bobbly. It looked like his next step was out of bounds (think it was third after catch).

But Badger Twitter has a photo they wish to share:

Tom Curran on Dan Patrick Show about Patriots and Butler

terrific game. i was SO hoping the hail mary would fail. lol

the phi didn't take their foot off the gas the whole game and i think that 4th down call with 5 mins left was the key.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    terrific game. i was SO hoping the hail mary would fail. lol

the phi didn't take their foot off the gas the whole game and i think that 4th down call with 5 mins left was the key.
    Entertaining yes, good football, no. Worst defense I have ever seen in a Superbowl.

Even the great defensive wizard Marty Schottenheimer could only stop Dan Marino in the playoffs for a half before Marino, Shula and whoever figured out the TE was going to be wide open. 2 weeks gives the defense enough time to innovate that much, but it eventually reveals itself.

There were no dominating defensive physical performances to help make it up. Eagles had speed to the edge, Patriots clogged up running lanes pretty well except for one big Blount run. RPO hurt the Patriots during the season and it hurt them last night. Eagles had a limited secondary and Brady torched it.

Foles had a bunch of amazing touch mid/deep throws. And his guys somehow caught them. He must throw a really nice, catchable ball. NE didn’t get out coached. They got out played. Congrats to eagles!

Brady has to get old at some point, but he looked fine last night. Damn.

Even the great defensive wizard Marty Schottenheimer could only stop Dan Marino in the playoffs for a half before Marino, Shula and whoever figured out the TE was going to be wide open. 2 weeks gives the defense enough time to innovate that much, but it eventually reveals itself.

There were no dominating defensive physical performances to help make it up. Eagles had speed to the edge, Patriots clogged up running lanes pretty well except for one big Blount run. RPO hurt the Patriots during the season and it hurt them last night. Eagles had a limited secondary and Brady torched it.
    Maybe one came close:

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo
    Tom Brady was 0-of-5 with a sack-fumble when Brandon Graham got pressure Sunday. When any other Eagle pressured Brady he was 6-of-10 for 172 yards and a scramble for 6 yards.

Maybe one came close:

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo
    Tom Brady was 0-of-5 with a sack-fumble when Brandon Graham got pressure Sunday. When any other Eagle pressured Brady he was 6-of-10 for 172 yards and a scramble for 6 yards.

This seems like the stat a guy like Capers would cling to if he gave up 613 yards. Well, that and the final score.

This seems like the stat a guy like Capers would cling to if he gave up 613 yards. Well, that and the final score.

Clearly I was not the only Packer fan watching that last night and thinking "Gee, this is like watching a Packers defense," whether it was the Philly defense or the NE defense on the field.

The thing that stood out most was how much time each QB had to throw. Often the running backs made their own creases or bulled forward (not to say there weren't running lanes), but the amount of time Brady and Foles had to pick out their receivers - holy smokes, it was like watching a Packers' (lack of) pass rush!

Kind of reminded me of that Arizona playoff game a few years ago, when only one team made one big defensive play, and that was the difference in the game.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Clearly I was not the only Packer fan watching that last night and thinking "Gee, this is like watching a Packers defense," whether it was the Philly defense or the NE defense on the field.

The thing that stood out most was how much time each QB had to throw. Often the running backs made their own creases or bulled forward (not to say there weren't running lanes), but the amount of time Brady and Foles had to pick out their receivers - holy smokes, it was like watching a Packers' (lack of) pass rush!

Kind of reminded me of that Arizona playoff game a few years ago, when only one team made one big defensive play, and that was the difference in the game.
    Was the big play a helmet to helmet hit, and the refs kept their flags in their pockets?

I know it was 2 seasons ago, but how much difference would Chandler Jones have made out there last night?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

At the end of the day, the same thing that doomed the Patriots was the same thing that doomed the Packers. They didn't have a good pass rush. In the case of the Pats, they traded it all away the past few years.