View Poll Results: 3 year extension with new salaries in Top 10 of coaches. What does he need to do to earn it?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make 500

0 0%
  • Beat 500

1 4.00%
  • Winning record, but one and done playoff.

3 12.00%
  • Deep playoff run

18 72.00%
  • Super Bowl

3 12.00%

Thread: What Does McCarthy Have to Do Next Year to Get A Contract Extension?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    "It's time! It's time!"

I change my vote. I just watched the entire 2010 Superb Owl win against the Steelers and, as Kevin Greene said to Clay, it's time to do it again. The problem is ARod can't do it on his own. Even though he played well in the 2010 Superb Owl, ARod wasn't necessarily the MVP of the game. Greg Jennings deserved it too. And Tramon Williams played an MVP game.

If Stubby's job depends on winning the Superb Owl next year, he might should begin packing his bags. IMO the 2010 team was loaded with talent even with all the injuries, head and shoulders above our current team on both offense and defense. Even the holdovers from 2010 like Clay and Jordy have seen their better days. Hopefully a new GM and a new Defensive Coordinator will make some difference. I'm hoping so.

But we need more talent on this team if we're going to go all the way.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    "It's time! It's time!"

I change my vote. I just watched the entire 2010 Superb Owl win against the Steelers and, as Kevin Greene said to Clay, it's time to do it again. The problem is ARod can't do it on his own. Even though he played well in the 2010 Superb Owl, ARod wasn't necessarily the MVP of the game. Greg Jennings deserved it too. And Tramon Williams played an MVP game.

If Stubby's job depends on winning the Superb Owl next year, he might should begin packing his bags. IMO the 2010 team was loaded with talent even with all the injuries, head and shoulders above our current team on both offense and defense. Even the holdovers from 2010 like Clay and Jordy have seen their better days. Hopefully a new GM and a new Defensive Coordinator will make some difference. I'm hoping so.

But we need more talent on this team if we're going to go all the way.
    That's a fair point about the talent differential. I think it is most noticeable on defense and in the secondary, which--irony or no?--has been the area where TT poured most of high draft picks in recent years. The significant contributors on the 2010 team on defense:

D Line: Jenkins and Raji. Pickett was solid too, and Howard Green was useful depth and had one big moment in the SB.
    LB: CMIII. Barnett and Hawk were adequate but nothing special.
    DBs: Tramon (who by end of 2010 was playing better than even CW), Woodson, Collins. Honorable mention to Shields as third corner.

The 2017 team equals the 2010 team on the DL with Daniels, Clark and Lowry, but doesn't have anyone who can match the young CMIII's intensity/athleticism combo, and in the secondary they don't even come close.

Offense: given a healthy offensive line and a full season from Rodgers I think the difference between 2010 and 2017-18 is negligible. True, Jennings in his prime may be > Adams and they don't have the depth they had with the young James Jones and Jordy in complementary roles, but they have better depth now at RB and probably more talent at OL. What they are missing is talent and communication in the secondary, and a pass rushing talent.