View Poll Results: 3 year extension with new salaries in Top 10 of coaches. What does he need to do to earn it?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make 500

0 0%
  • Beat 500

1 4.00%
  • Winning record, but one and done playoff.

3 12.00%
  • Deep playoff run

18 72.00%
  • Super Bowl

3 12.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What Does McCarthy Have to Do Next Year to Get A Contract Extension?

Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post
    I need to see some initiative of change on his part offensively. Watching the playoffs this year, I kept telling my wife, the biggest difference I see with these teams is some kind of creativity on offense. We have none. That, or the plays that mccarthy probably thinks are creative are just stupid. Other offenses made sense also. You'd see plays made off of other plays, and actions based off of other actions. You rarely see that in our offense. You see crossing patterns, and guys using other guys in "picks" to get open. When we run it, we get flagged, which is also coaching. I'ver personally never been a fan of mccarthy, so I wouldn't care if he left.
    When our receivers get covered it doesn't look as if the defensive backs are physically gifted. It looks as if they know the route tree better than the receivers.

Snap after snap the receivers are freaking blanketed.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Deep playoff run saves his job. That’s about it.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    I'll judge Stubby more on how he uses the clock and manages the game when it is all on the line in the final seven minutes in the playoff games (as it usually is). If he plays the same old conservative crap as he has in the past, he will be done.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I think if that happens then there is a solid chance he stays

People in the organization and fans will just come up with more excuses for him like they do every year
    I might be grasping at straws here, but I think you give fans a little too much power. You and I literally have no power in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

I think Fat Mike needs a deep run because right now he looks like a lame duck coach with a “vote of confidence” from the GM. That’s never a good place to be as a coach.

SB win if Rodgers is healthy.
    C.H.U.D.

Blog Entries
    Where does MM stand % wise in terms of the Packer coaches ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Where does MM stand % wise in terms of the Packer coaches ?
    % of what?

Not defending McCarthy, but you don't move on without a succession plan and a solid chance of a good replacement. Better be prepared to roll the dice on the next head coach and take your chances. What percentages of new coaches fail?

This year was a disappointment, primarily because Hundley didn't live up to expectations and the front office went "all in" on his abilities.

We've been in the NFC championship game how many times in the last few years? Seems our defense has been the one to "drop the ball" - no pun intended - pretty much every year except 2010. Acknowledge that the buck stops with McCarthy.

I'm interested to see what a new DC, the return of Philbin, and a new GM - potentially with a new approach to team composition - can do with this roster. I'm open to seeing what McCarthy can do with these new pieces, primarily because I'm not convinced change for the sake of change is a good betting proposition.
    Busting drunk drivers in Antarctica since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    I mean, McCarthy turned Aaron Brooks into a turnover machine.
    What does this mean? Brooks was a turnover machine. McCarthy kept that harnessed for almost two seasons before it went truly ugly. Brooks was terrible and McCathy made the best of him.

McCarthy is a Top 10 coach, but his contract circumstances at 1265 don't seem to align with that view.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I think Fat Mike needs a deep run because right now he looks like a lame duck coach with a “vote of confidence” from the GM. That’s never a good place to be as a coach.
    I agree this seems to be the case. He's on a very hot seat.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by falco View Post
    Not defending McCarthy, but you don't move on without a succession plan and a solid chance of a good replacement. Better be prepared to roll the dice on the next head coach and take your chances. What percentages of new coaches fail?

This year was a disappointment, primarily because Hundley didn't live up to expectations and the front office went "all in" on his abilities.

We've been in the NFC championship game how many times in the last few years? Seems our defense has been the one to "drop the ball" - no pun intended - pretty much every year except 2010. Acknowledge that the buck stops with McCarthy.

I'm interested to see what a new DC, the return of Philbin, and a new GM - potentially with a new approach to team composition - can do with this roster. I'm open to seeing what McCarthy can do with these new pieces, primarily because I'm not convinced change for the sake of change is a good betting proposition.
    The defense has shit the bed in playoff games, memorably in Atlanta. But they have also held up their end of the donkey several times only to be let down by the offense (Seattle, Arizona, San Fran in Lambeau).

I think Maxie is mostly right, the performance in the playoffs might be the determining factor, rather than the record that gets him there.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    When our receivers get covered it doesn't look as if the defensive backs are physically gifted. It looks as if they know the route tree better than the receivers.

Snap after snap the receivers are freaking blanketed.
    This is my frustration. I would watch our games and guys for the other teams would be running free. I get our defense was laughable, but really? Then on the flip side, it looked like the other team was running our scheme for us, because nobody was open. Rodgers had to make perfect passes because nobody is open, and not to act like Hundley's savior, but Hundley isn't Rodgers. I'm willing to bet, you give Hundley a scheme where the WR's got open, you'd see better results.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I agree this seems to be the case. He's on a very hot seat.
    Not so sure the seat is red hot. The man was promoted in the offseason after all. Even if he's not perfect he's got a huge body of work with 12 under his belt and that continuity in Rodgers's last few years is worth a hell of a lot. What people are calling lame duck status might just be a labor dispute about how to extend him after a lousy year of piloting a super bowl favorite into the dirt.

My biggest complaint about MM will always be the comfort with which he'll hold on to poorly performing ideas, players, and staff. Although I have to admit sometimes its a strength as well. Sometimes it looks like stubbornness and other times it looks like loyalty. Either way it shouldn't take years of predictable defensive collapse to get him to go all red wedding on his staff. Time is limited in the NFL and failing fast is a virtue.

I also agree with others that the offense has been showing signs of rot even since 2014 when we had the top ranked offense that year. We started that season with a spell of playing Seattle, New York Jets, and Lions. Remember how bad they looked? That's when I can say the era of having an offense that pretty much automatically puts up 20 were gone. Of all changes we got this offseason maybe Philbin's return ends up being the most impactful.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 02-15-2018 at 04:47 AM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

McCarthy's biggest mistake was sticking with Capers all these damn years. I seriously doubt any changes would have been made had Hundley won a couple more games and we snuck into the playoffs as a WC so perhaps we should thank Hundley for being so lousy...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    % of what?
    SORRY...."m talking Win Loss percentage

Where does MM stack with the other top 5 or so coaches in GB ?

MM improved his coaching staff in the offseason
    Sounds like he pushed for this GM over Cappie Guy

I don't get the vibe he's in trouble
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

The changes that were made by Murphy, including extending McCarthy and Thompson one year, all seem to be designed to ease the way to sign Rodgers to an extension.

So McCarthy did have that leverage by proxy.

But coaches who are not in a precarious position do not sign one year deals. It could be that Murphy talked them both into this in order to ease the transition to a new GM, so they could attract good candidates with the promise of total authority. McCarthy might believe he is months away from a big extension himself.

But a one year extension is just one year. How many coaches do you remember doing a one year deal after a long tenure and surviving? He is far more likely to be pushed overboard now than before. The only thing he survived was the initial wave this year.

4th behind Curly, Vince and Homegrown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_head_coaches

I guess I disagree. Had they hired a GM outside the org, people would be saying he'd want to bring in his own guy sooner rather than later. Because BootsNPants (it's going to be a while before I can spell that guy's name) was hired from within, he naturally wants to keep Fat Mike around? I think Gooty might want his own guy, but had to take on the lame duck for 1 more season. Sherman anyone?

You're right. He's improved the coaching staff, at least at the coordinator positions. He got his guy, or at least his type of guy, as GM. He reports to the team President. All of which puts the spotlight directly on him. Is he in trouble? Depends on him.