Packers spent above the cap in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

you can't look at cash spent and somehow equate it to the salary cap

that might be the most worthless thing ive seen on pft in awhile

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    you can't look at cash spent and somehow equate it to the salary cap

that might be the most worthless thing ive seen on pft in awhile
    Its kinda important. Since its actually the money going out the door. Shows actual commitment and not phony inflated contract numbers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Is it possible that some of that was last minute adjustments to contracts to use up the current year's cap money and save some of future years'? I know teams like to do that.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Is it possible that some of that was last minute adjustments to contracts to use up the current year's cap money and save some of future years'? I know teams like to do that.
    well, the contracts of adams and linsley were both done before the start of the new league year, so their signing bonuses would have counted under the money spent for the current year

so adams got a 18 million dollar signing bonus and linsley got 8 million

so theres 26 million in cash spent right there

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its kinda important. Since its actually the money going out the door. Shows actual commitment and not phony inflated contract numbers.
    yeah, but i don't get the point of comparing cash spent to the cap number like PFT is trying to do

I'm with red. Cash spending on any given year is not capped, so why compare it to the salary cap? The salary cap is an administrative cap and it's ambivalent toward when the money actually changes hands.

Its important for two reasons, though only one have to do with comparisons to the cap:

1. The CBA specifies certain percentage of cap has to actually be spent in cash each year.

2. Cap numbers can disappear (they can also linger as dead money). Cash spent is paying for the team you have, not the contracts you constructed.

I think PFT leaves out a few personnel maneuvers that affect cash vs. cap beyond pro-rated bonuses.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

that's weird. the other day i read they rolled over $9m left over from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    that's weird. the other day i read they rolled over $9m left over from last year.
    thats because cash spent has nothing to do with cap space

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    well, the contracts of adams and linsley were both done before the start of the new league year, so their signing bonuses would have counted under the money spent for the current year

so adams got a 18 million dollar signing bonus and linsley got 8 million

so theres 26 million in cash spent right there
    That's what I was talking about. That would seem to make it a matter of capology - doing the smart thing last year so we have more cap space available this year and future years.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    They had about 9 mil left over until the did Adams and Linsley I believe.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-pa...ers-are-in-144

After all was signed and done, they rolled over $3.9 million.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They had about 9 mil left over until the did Adams and Linsley I believe.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-pa...ers-are-in-144

After all was signed and done, they rolled over $3.9 million.
    https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

Total Cap Liabilities: $165,319,167 Top 51: $160,120,634 ...

Team Cap Space: $16,476,151

Breakdown: Offense: $97,335,902 ... Defense: $56,978,066 ... Special Teams: $6,286,666

Packers Cap Space (24th and available Cap Space) and a comparison to all other NFL Teams :

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau