Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Packers First Round Pick Jaire Alexander

Finally, a DB with some fashion sense.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Looks like a goon and absolutely hate bow ties more than the Vikings but pick 6 Cousins one time and I will be a fan for life.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The leopard slippers with neutral hose/no socks is really over the top - that's almost full Hugh Hefner. If he had rocked the tux bathrobe it would have been epic.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Tanier:

18. Green Bay Packers (via Seattle): Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

Strengths: Speed, instincts, return value.

Weaknesses: Physicality.

Meet the new Packers!

Head coach Mike McCarthy and his Pamphlet O' Plays aren't new. There's a new offensive coordinator, but he's actually old offensive coordinator Joe Philbin.

But Ted Thompson is no longer GM! Except…he's still involved in the organization, guarding the Jedi Texts on some island in Lake Michigan or something. And the front office is run by his disciples; the ones who didn't flee to Cleveland during the power struggle, anyway.

Aaron Rodgers is still around, too, which is good news! Except he is getting a little impatient about earning some of that sweet, sweet Kirk Cousins cash. And he's still expected to take on the whole NFL with a laser sword, or something.

Wow, the new Packers are a little like the new Star Wars films: mostly predictable but unpredictable in ways that don't necessarily make them better. Maybe this draft will chart a new course for the organization. Or maybe it's just gonna keep flying until Rodgers runs out of fuel.

Case in point: The new Packers just traded up to fill a need. They ranked last in the NFL at covering No. 1 wide receivers in 2017, according to Football Outsiders. But they selected an undersized cornerback with some injury concerns.

Jaire Alexander missed a chunk of last season with a sprained knee. Opponents wouldn't go near his receivers when he was available—he allowed just five completions, according to Sports Info Solutions—and he burned a 4.38-second 40 at the combine.

Alexander was not nearly as effective in 2016, with six touchdowns allowed, most of them in the red zone. He's not a bump-and-run enforcer or mauling tackler. But mix speed, experience returning punts and good eyes in zone coverage, and the Packers are at least getting a player who can play several roles right away.

Grade: B

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...for-every-pick
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

L'Uomo, It's been such a long time coming.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-27-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Packer Report @PackerReport
    Gutekunst said the Packers did talk to Alexander on several occasions. Figures they all blurred together for Alexander, who said he hadn't talked to GB.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Sounds like packer people

Missed 5 games last year with 2 different knee injuries then missed a couple more with a broken hand last season

Small guys who get injured a lot are kinda scary

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Sounds like packer people

Missed 5 games last year with 2 different knee injuries then missed a couple more with a broken hand last season

Small guys who get injured a lot are kinda scary
    Yep. And he gave up 5 TDs the year before. He's not big on press or redirect on the LOS.

Gutenkust

Call to Seattle was one of Gutekunst's first calls after trading back to 27.

Gutekunst said the Packers did talk to Alexander on several occasions. Figures they all blurred together for Alexander, who said he hadn't talked to GB.

Getting first-round pick in 2019 was in best interests of team; was confident they could move back up.

Packers have one pick on Friday and 10 on Saturday; he assumes there will be more moving around the board.

Offer from Saints for first-round pick was too good to pass up, even with James and Edmunds (who had visited) on the board.

Alexander

"I was pretty shocked," Alexander said when his phone rang. But also aware that GB had traded up and thought the might be picked.

Says he gave up only five completions last season. That's five catches in six games, if you're doing the math.

70 percent at corner, 30 percent in the slot, he says of his playing time at Louisville.

Alexander mentions the secondary tradition, mentions Collins and Woodson.

Alexander says he had no contact with Packers predraft.

Alexander, getting setup for interviews after being drafted, learns teammate Lamar Jackson was drafted.

https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/sta...23805139390465

Matt Bowen @MattBowen41
    Matt Bowen Retweeted Steve Ross
    Alexander can improve his technique. And that comes with reps. But I really like his coverage ability. Press-man. 4.3 speed. Competes, too. Good fit for Pettine’s defense in Green Bay.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

29 years ago, the Packers took the Manchurian Candidate over the fashionable Neon Deion.

I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I like the pick. He can learn a year behind Herb Waters.
    After reflecting for a night, I hate the pick. Taking Derwin James right where we were at 14 was the move I wanted. I think we may live to regret it. I hope I'm wrong.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Charles Woodson @CharlesWoodson
    Congrats @JaireAlexander you’ll love working with coach Whitt #begreat

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    After reflecting for a night, I hate the pick. Taking Derwin James right where we were at 14 was the move I wanted. I think we may live to regret it. I hope I'm wrong.
    Beat guys are all guessing that the Pack had Edmunds, Ward, Alexander and James all with Round 1 grades at positions of need.

Its possible all of us are getting our Edmunds confused, but I think one of them is a DB.

Anyway, I think its more likely they wanted coverage rather than a strong safety. They have Jones and even if James is a better talent, they needed coverage both outside and inside and Alexander fits that bill better than James.

I would love to hear if those short shuttle and 3cone times scared anyone though (off James).

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I don't totally disagree. Derwin James looks the part. If you could draw up a prototypical safety I think James would have been it. He did last longer than I thought he would so I am not sure if that stupid 3 cone and shuttle scared other teams away.

James can cover the slot, but he doesn't have Alexander's skill in coverage, but when Dix and Jones whiff on tackles or can't keep ball carriers in front of them you know the Packers done fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I don't totally disagree. Derwin James looks the part. If you could draw up a prototypical safety I think James would have been it. He did last longer than I thought he would so I am not sure if that stupid 3 cone and shuttle scared other teams away.
    the other goofy thing is, he didn't run them at the Combine. Was her perhaps hurt? Bad ankle during workouts or something and they were waiting for it to heal?

Or did he know his numbers in those were bad and was working on making them better.

Good question. I don't think the film lies though. He gets to where he needs to be. James just kind of glides to where he is supposed to be with very little effort. He has really good vision and anticipation.