Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Packers First Round Pick Jaire Alexander

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS Outstanding size-speed ratio and athletic ability. Fluid movement skills -- makes it look easy flipping his hips and reacting to the thrown ball. Very good transitional quickness and recovery speed. Superb feet and agility to pop out of his breaks and close on the ball -- explosively quick. Natural interceptor with very good hand-eye coordination, leaping ability and overall ball skills. Very good vision and traffic burst as a returner

WEAKNESSES Is a bit soft-tempered -- not as aggressive or physical in run support as you would expect for his size. Can do a better job shedding blockers. Too often lets teammates arrive first at the scene. Spent time in the doghouse as a young player. Has some growing up to do -- maintains a lockdown corner's ego, at times coasts on his natural talent and is not immune to mental errors.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Beat guys are all guessing that the Pack had Edmunds, Ward, Alexander and James all with Round 1 grades at positions of need.

Its possible all of us are getting our Edmunds confused, but I think one of them is a DB.
    Wait, you don't know? Pittsburgh took the DB and the Bills took Tremaine, the 19 year old beast of a LB at #16... The LB is the guy the Packers could have taken. It's tempting. That kid could just be awesome.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Finally, a DB with some fashion sense.

Maybe its because I am a woman but those shoes don't match his outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I would love to hear if those short shuttle and 3cone times scared anyone though (off James).
    It had to. One of the stranger results at Pro Days that I can remember. Since Thompson took over, the Packers have only drafted one safety with a worse shuttle (Jerron McMillian) and have never drafted a safety with a worse 3-cone. To put it in perspective, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (who was on the lower end of measurables amongst the safeties the Packers have drafted) had 4.16 shuttle and 7.16 3-cone. James tested at 4.34 shuttle and 7.34 3-cone, and it was at his Pro Day instead of the Combine. Pro Days results are generally better than Combine results - which is why teams don't always trust the Pro Day results. I agree with Nutz though, James was draftable at #14 or #18 because of his tape. I'm good with how it worked out.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I think they are hoping he's Sam Shields II.

I'm ok with the pick, but yeah, with some of the others on the board (Edmunds, James, Davenport) there's room for second guessing and I'm sure people will be doing the "Watt vs. King" thing again with these picks.

I didn’t think there was any chance we were gonna draft a safety in the 1st. We only let Burnett walk because the staff like what the have in Jones. If they had doubts about jones, I think they would have kept burnett and not risk a safety not being there in the draft

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Maybe its because I am a woman but those shoes don't match his outfit.
    Those shoes match any outfit!

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Those shoes match any outfit!
    Agreed! I think they match his bow tie though.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I think they are hoping he's Sam Shields II.

I'm ok with the pick, but yeah, with some of the others on the board (Edmunds, James, Davenport) there's room for second guessing and I'm sure people will be doing the "Watt vs. King" thing again with these picks.
    Yep.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Re: James, as a wise man said in some other thread, despite his potentials, James remains a coin flip to make it in the big league. Just ask Mike Huff. Why waste a high pick on a coin flip when a proven saftey is hard-knocking on the streets of Baltimore?

I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I didn’t think there was any chance we were gonna draft a safety in the 1st. We only let Burnett walk because the staff like what the have in Jones. If they had doubts about jones, I think they would have kept burnett and not risk a safety not being there in the draft
    Jones and the depth - no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Finally, a DB with some fashion sense.

Ditch the bow tie; rock the ascot....Chuck style!

Sure, now I find it:

STRENGTHS
    Possesses a compact, athletic frame with good overall muscle distribution. Alexander's best attribute is his light feet and fluid hip turn, which helps shadow receivers all over the field. He varies his drop, alternating between a standard back-pedal and side-step when playing tight, complementing his flashy footwork with a surprisingly powerful punch to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage. He shows very good route anticipation, cutting as receivers make their breaks and leaving little room for quarterbacks to throw the ball. Alexander shows good instincts and isn't afraid to take chances in coverage, reading the eyes of the quarterback and dropping his primary receiver to undercut others as the ball is thrown. He shows good ball-skills, extending outside of his frame and plucking the ball out of the air and delivering a late rip at the ball as receivers are attempting to secure it. A dynamic athlete, Alexander is a threat to score any time he has the ball in his hands, showing lightning acceleration, elusiveness and vision to set up blocks with punt return experience. While obviously lacking ideal size, Alexander does not lack for aggression against bigger receivers and as a tackler, taking on would-be blockers aggressively and lowering his shoulder into the knees of ball-carriers for very effective and often quite physical take-downs. -- Rob Rang 12/22/2017

WEAKNESSES
    Limited to just six games in 2017 after sustaining a knee injury in the season-opener against Purdue and breaking his hand in practice later in the year, injuries which each require a close examination by team doctors at the Combine. Comes with obvious size limitations with bigger receivers simply able to out-leap him because of their height advantage (Florida State, 2016). Too aggressive for his own good, biting on pump fakes and double-moves and leaving himself scrambling to recover. Occasionally misses tackles with his trademark lunges at the knees (see LSU, 2016). -- Rob Rang 12/22/2017

COMPARES TO: Jason Verrett, Chargers. When healthy, Verrett has lived up to his first-round draft selection (No. 24 overall in 2014), earning a trip to the Pro Bowl in 2015, showing off the quick feet and tenacity to handle coverage duties despite measuring in at just 5-10, 188 pounds. Unfortunately, Verrett has struggled with injuries, missing more games than he's played over his four-year career. With a similar frame and aggressive playing style, durability concerns could limit Alexander's stock despite his coverage skills.

IN OUR VIEW: Alexander may lack ideal size but he is feisty as a rat terrier, winning in coverage because of his elite foot quickness, route anticipation and sticky hands and attacking blocks and ball-carriers in run support, projecting as an immediate nickel and punt return candidate with the potential to handle outside duties.

Wow, that write up is pretty glowing. I don't know anything about the guy. I trust that the people making the pick know more than I do. He seems a little short but again I defer to the experts.

Short, not a great tackler, coming off injury....what could go wrong? Hope it pans out. But i wasn't crazy with the move. Wanted James or Edmunds. I'll give the Gut credit for being active though.

James is also coming off an injury of his own and probably has about 50/50 shot of busting based on the instincts required of his position.

Alexander versus Purdue 2017

Versus Clemson in 2016

Combine Invite: Yes
    Height: 5102
    Weight: 196

PD3X AKA "Official"
    40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.38

40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.37
    20 Yard (ET): 2.55
    20 Yard (HH): 2.49
    10 Yard (ET): 1.52
    10 Yard (HH): 1.53
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
    Vertical Jump: 35
    Broad Jump: 10'07"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.98
    3-Cone Drill: 6.71

GBPG: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...cks/552404002/

AGE: 21 HT: 5-10 1/4 WT: 196 40-yard dash: 4.38 HOMETOWN: Charlotte, N.C.

LOWDOWN: An instinctive corner with the ability to anticipate routes and the quickness to close on throws and make plays on the ball. His 2017 tape was uneven due to issues with a sprained knee, which could raise concerns over his durability because of his slender build. He played in only six games, starting five. Finished with 19 tackles and one interception. Had seven career interceptions in three seasons along with 15 pass breakups. Had 58 solo tackles and 19 assists. When healthy, he has the potential to become a second cornerback, but teams may view him as a full-time nickel corner who’s able to avoid the rigors of excessive run support. “I probably played 70 percent snaps at corner and 30 percent at nickel,” Alexander said. “I feel like I can play anywhere on the field. I look forward to doing both.” Ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 seconds at the combine. Had a 35-inch vertical and got 14 reps on the bench press. Also could add value returning punts. “He is going to be a guy who is really going to help us on the field,” said Jon-Eric Sullivan, the Packers’ director of college scouting. “We think he’s versatile. He can run. He’s a 4.3 guy. He’s got really good twitch and lateral agility. We think he can play inside. He is competitive and can tackle you. He can play both inside and outside. He is going to have to come in here and compete like they all do and get in there with the group we have now.” (Draft data via NFL.com)

THE TRADE: The Packers traded the No. 27 pick (first round) and gave up a third (76) and a sixth (186) to move up nine spots to No. 18. They also received No. 248 (seventh round).

QUICK TAKE: It was obvious the Pack wanted corner help when they made an offer for Chicago's Kyle Fuller earlier this off-season, which the Bears matched. Alexander should form a nice young duo with Kevin King, last year's Round 2 pick, though he struggled as a rookie. Injuries limited Alexander in 2017, but he picked off five passes two years ago. His return skills are a bonus. (Nate Davis, USA TODAY)

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS: Something of a forgotten man in 2017 after missing about half the season with knee and hand injuries, he put himself squarely back into the conversation of the draft's top corners with a 4.38-second 40-yard dash at the combine and a smooth run in position drills. Alexander has the tools to thrive on the outside, but he might make a living in the slot given his penchant for shutting down underneath passes. (Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz, USA TODAY)