Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vikings Week

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    So Davis has a Packer hammy.

4 weeks until healed. 3 more weeks for Packers to wait. Can have him back on the roster in 8 weeks if no other team signs him.
    I don't think they want him that bad. That's only one week less than as one of their two allowed returnees from IR, so small advantage there other than saving 3 weeks salary, but it runs the risk of him signing elsewhere. Four weeks should have been an acceptable time to carry him on an otherwise fairly healthy roster as a game day inactive, with the advantage of playing 3 weeks earlier (maybe less or more depending on his actual recovery.)

I don't think they care much if they get him back or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Rollins spot seems to have been filled, over and over again if you count the one roster signing and the one PS signing.

But there is still room for Davis. We will know that if he gets a injury settlement so he can get off IR and sign with the Packers again this year. They are either tired of waiting (which would be remarkably fast for the Packers) or trust his injury and history aren't going to make him an attractive target.

They don't want Cobb back there and they probably don't want even the third RB back there. Maybe one of the new guys get a ST job.
    Alexander?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I don't understand your point. He doesn't need an injury settlement, "so he can get off IR and sign with the Packers again this year.". They can bring him back as one of the two allowed returns from IR.
    Unwritten assumption was that they won’t want to use one IR return of two on a guy who just returns kicks.

But if they can use waivers as his own IR they would consider bringing him back.

Word came today that Cobb is the punt returner and I can’t believe they prefer that risk.

Unpopular Opinions: Packers SHOULD trade for Le'Veon Bell

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...or-leveon-bell

Not sure I agree with the column or would want Bell. I guess people get paid to write stuff like this.

I don't think they want him that bad. That's only one week less than as one of their two allowed returnees from IR, so small advantage there other than saving 3 weeks salary, but it runs the risk of him signing elsewhere. Four weeks should have been an acceptable time to carry him on an otherwise fairly healthy roster as a game day inactive, with the advantage of playing 3 weeks earlier (maybe less or more depending on his actual recovery.)

I don't think they care much if they get him back or not.
    In another thread there was a point made that Davis was one of the highest-rated returners in the league in terms of his average return.

I wanted to make clear that my disgruntlement with Davis - and perhaps this is true of the Packer brass as well - had to do with his decision-making skills, or lack thereof. Any time he lined up around his own ten yard line to field a punt, I could only hold my breath. On some plays he'd let it land around the ten yard line. On other plays he'd field a punt on his own five yard line and then try to return it. Or he'd call for a fair catch and field it on his own six yard line.

He just did not make good decisions about when to field a punt, when to let it go, and so on. I just didn't think his returns on the ones he did return were enough to justify hanging on to him. Devin Hester he was not.

I think the running back they picked up from Dallas might get a shot at returning punts and kicks. We'll see. I read that he had some of those kinds of skills.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Unwritten assumption was that they won’t want to use one IR return of two on a guy who just returns kicks.

But if they can use waivers as his own IR they would consider bringing him back.

Word came today that Cobb is the punt returner and I can’t believe they prefer that risk.
    Good post. I suspect Cobb, like the other night, will be doing mostly fair catches or watching balls (hopefully) bounce into the end zone.

Should have said Rodgers is in rehab group so he’s at practice, working.

Kizer runs the offense with the 1s.

As long as the doctors give Arod more of the drugs they gave him Sunday night he'll be fine. Dude was baked.
    C.H.U.D.

What I don't get is this, if they didn't want to "waste" an IR-return on him, why didn't they just carry him as a game day inactive, at least for a week or two? They are healthy enough to do that.

It looks to me that he is really #53 of the guys they want on their roster, and rather than carry him a few weeks they would rather use his spot to bring in others for what might amount to extended tryouts.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    As long as the doctors give Arod more of the drugs they gave him Sunday night he'll be fine. Dude was baked.
    Ha, I noticed that too. Where can I get me some of dat....

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    An how. Check out his eyes during the post game interview
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Kizer runs the offense with the 1s.
    Some advantage in this. Obviously we want Arod to play, but Kizer can use the work.

What I don't get is this, if they didn't want to "waste" an IR-return on him, why didn't they just carry him as a game day inactive, at least for a week or two? They are healthy enough to do that.

It looks to me that he is really #53 of the guys they want on their roster, and rather than carry him a few weeks they would rather use his spot to bring in others for what might amount to extended tryouts.
    I agree with the 2nd sentence. Though while he was possibly player #53, he had a starting job on ST at a key position. But as someone else stated he's also not quite Devin Hester so he is not a must retain. Especially since his hamstring did not survive two weeks of practice and one preseason game.

Its reasonable his recovery will extend a minimum of another 4 weeks as the Packers tended to rest more after a re-injury. So carrying him as inactive might last more than a month.

I think also he was the second casualty of the 8 WR final cutdown. It was clear the Packers weren't going to carry 8 for long. Kumerow went right to IR and Davis was #2, leaving them at a more reasonable 6. If Davis had survived the preseason game and practice to be the starting returner, I expect they make another WR move.

The big question is why sign a CB in his stead. That CB is not returner, and I haven't seen any good speculation about why that player or position.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I agree with the 2nd sentence. Though while he was possibly player #53, he had a starting job on ST at a key position. But as someone else stated he's also not quite Devin Hester so he is not a must retain. Especially since his hamstring did not survive two weeks of practice and one preseason game.

Its reasonable his recovery will extend a minimum of another 4 weeks as the Packers tended to rest more after a re-injury. So carrying him as inactive might last more than a month.

I think also he was the second casualty of the 8 WR final cutdown. It was clear the Packers weren't going to carry 8 for long. Kumerow went right to IR and Davis was #2, leaving them at a more reasonable 6. If Davis had survived the preseason game and practice to be the starting returner, I expect they make another WR move.

The big question is why sign a CB in his stead. That CB is not returner, and I haven't seen any good speculation about why that player or position.
    House with 0 defensive snaps vs. Bears. Maybe his days are numbered? Someone has to go when Jones is activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    House with 0 defensive snaps vs. Bears. Maybe his days are numbered? Someone has to go when Jones is activated.
    Weird to keep him as an insurance policy then let him go. I would think the new CB would go to the PS. It'd make more sense to let House go if Jones played corner or vice versa.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    The Pack are overreacting to what happened last season with all the injuries at CB. They want to be sure they have enough of them this season.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    The Pack are overreacting to what happened last season with all the injuries at CB. They want to be sure they have enough of them this season.
    That, and they just have more talent at that position than at LB. And based on schemes on Sunday, it looks like Poutine will run formations with more d-backs more often. Someone told me it's a passing league...

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    House is playing for the minimum-wage. Cutting House is unnecessary. The guy ain't Neon Deion but he ain't an abomination, either. When injuries hit everyone and their baby mama's. you want an experienced vet of NFL wars like House over an undrafted sloth like Ladarious Fucking Gunter.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    That, and they just have more talent at that position than at LB. And based on schemes on Sunday, it looks like Poutine will run formations with more d-backs more often. Someone told me it's a passing league...
    He will, although injuries were a factor. With 2 coverage linebackers, Burks and Jones out, he went with 5-6 DB's more than usual. He didn't want Morrison and Martinez having to try to cover Tarik Cohen.

He will, although injuries were a factor. With 2 coverage linebackers, Burks and Jones out, he went with 5-6 DB's more than usual. He didn't want Morrison and Martinez having to try to cover Tarik Cohen.
    True, true. And just calling Jones and Burks LBs proves the point, right?