View Poll Results: Who needs to get dumped?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rodgers: forget the scheme, he is playing terribly

2 11.76%
  • McCarthy: he has lost his offense and his QB

15 88.24%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rodgers versus McCarthy: Who Ya Got?

Rodgers versus McCarthy: Who Ya Got?

Not everyone agrees that McCarthy is the one who should go.

Its starting:

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

See if you can spot the difference:

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
    Aaron Rodgers by half against the #Vikings:

First half — 8/13 for 94 yards and 1 TD (plus 1 sack)
    Second half — 9/15 for 104 yards and 0 TD (plus 3 sacks)

Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
    Good question from @Michael_Cohen13 about Rodgers poor play in big spots, and as always, McCarthy refuses to even hint at the poor play of his quarterback down the stretch.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

A good breakdown of all the breakdowns last night: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ch/2096274002/

It hints at the disconnect: Rodgers, team and fans want to scheme a winning strategy. McCarthy knows there aren't enough practices to install 65 new wrinkles in a week (even 10 days). But the regular offense fails to deliver with such regularity that it might be madness to trust it.

Poor game management:

Before he did, though, the Packers had to use a timeout after what McCarthy thought had been a premature start to the play-clock after running back Aaron Jones was stopped short on third-and-2. McCarthy, red-faced and clearly irate, argued with referee Bill Vinovich before and during the timeout, then watched as Jones was stopped for no gain and the Vikings took over.
    https://madison.com/wsj/sports/footb...ign=user-share

When you are unprepared, you need the TO to decide to go for it on 4th down and to pick a play. When you are an emotional wreck, you spend that time arguing fruitlessly with the Refs.

I thought the announcers said that even with the early start to the clock, the Packers had at least 27 seconds to get the play called. Per above, it may be time for MM to go, but Rodgers has been just as responsible for the poor play of the offense. The margin of error is less with new receivers and some injuries along the line, but Rodgers play has been lacking for most of the season. His decision-making has not been good. I wonder if a new coach can get Rodgers to play according to the scheme and stop with the sandlot attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I thought the announcers said that even with the early start to the clock, the Packers had at least 27 seconds to get the play called. Per above, it may be time for MM to go, but Rodgers has been just as responsible for the poor play of the offense. The margin of error is less with new receivers and some injuries along the line, but Rodgers play has been lacking for most of the season. His decision-making has not been good. I wonder if a new coach can get Rodgers to play according to the scheme and stop with the sandlot attitude?
    That is what the ref consultant said. If they reset the play clock after a measurement say, the Packers only get 25 seconds after the clock stoppage.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    No room for a gray option, huh? I think both have culpability for this situation. I don't want Rodgers to be Capt. Check Down, but there are times when he could do the D a solid and keep the chains moving instead of going for the big play. Is there anyone here who regularly watches the all 22 view of these games that can see the whole field to see how often Rodgers is missing open receivers?

I also think that MM dials back on the versatility of Aaron Jones, especially in the second half, even when it's only a one score game. How similar have the last two games looked in that regard?

No matter who is to blame, they share primary responsibility for the outcome on offense. The franchise QB is not going to be released just after being signed to his latest deal. If anyone is going to take the fall, it's MM. He is not completely to blame, but he is ultimately responsible for the outcome.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    No room for a gray option, huh? I think both have culpability for this situation. I don't want Rodgers to be Capt. Check Down, but there are times when he could do the D a solid and keep the chains moving instead of going for the big play. Is there anyone here who regularly watches the all 22 view of these games that can see the whole field to see how often Rodgers is missing open receivers?

I also think that MM dials back on the versatility of Aaron Jones, especially in the second half, even when it's only a one score game. How similar have the last two games looked in that regard?

No matter who is to blame, they share primary responsibility for the outcome on offense. The franchise QB is not going to be released just after being signed to his latest deal. If anyone is going to take the fall, it's MM. He is not completely to blame, but he is ultimately responsible for the outcome.
    About the check down stuff. I think we forget that they have been checking down for quite a while. The entire WR screen arsenal was part of McCarthy's attempt to ramp the offense back up after the slowdowns in 2015 and 2016. Rodgers YPA, already declining, went down significantly.

The result was a higher completion percentage, but no more first downs. Defenses, especially those sitting back in deep zones, love passes short of the sticks.

So while short routes and checkdowns are part of the problem, they aren't the design flaw. That stuff is in there. Its situational awareness about when it wise to use them.

Rodgers has been poor this year, but MM has lost Rodgers and the team. Fire him and see if Rodgers can be salvaged. With the huge contract extension Rodgers got, there is little other choice.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Rodgers is to blame but they aren't getting rid of Rodgers.

i was in favor of trading Rodgers back before the draft. there isn't a baker mayfield (who i wanted) out there in this next draft. i don't think there's anyone out there with the cap room and draft fodder to take him now (the giants maybe). nah...we've got to ride this out now. sooooo it's got to be MM and Philbin. this off-season is going to be pretty interesting.
    Last edited by gbgary; 11-26-2018 at 10:32 AM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    About the check down stuff. I think we forget that they have been checking down for quite a while. The entire WR screen arsenal was part of McCarthy's attempt to ramp the offense back up after the slowdowns in 2015 and 2016. Rodgers YPA, already declining, went down significantly.

The result was a higher completion percentage, but no more first downs. Defenses, especially those sitting back in deep zones, love passes short of the sticks.

So while short routes and checkdowns are part of the problem, they aren't the design flaw. That stuff is in there. Its situational awareness about when it wise to use them.

There's a big difference between called short plays (screens) and having an underneath option (and taking it) when the play is designed to exploit single high safety deep and it isn't there.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think the personnel is generally poorer than a lot of people want to admit.

But let's suppose that's not true. Then why can't Stubbers (or Rodgers with his famous 'lack of confidence/trust' in new receivers) exploit the speed of Davis, EQ, and Exxon Valdez, and the solid route running of Kumerow Adams and Graham? They added a couple of wrinkles (jet sweep) but did they really go all out to incorporate the younger receivers into a scheme they could manage? Honestly, the Browns fired Hue Jackson and their OC, and put the receivers' coach in as OC and what did he do? He simplified the offense so everyone was on the same page. Maybe they only have 30 plays, but they run 'em pretty well, even with rookies and second year guys all over the place.

Oh, and after all that, MN does have a decent defense, especially at home. Kinda glossed over that one.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

So I don't choose either option in this poll. It's at least both, plus scheme, plus personnel and a collection of pretty difficult road games.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post

But let's suppose that's not true. Then why can't Stubbers (or Rodgers with his famous 'lack of confidence/trust' in new receivers) exploit the speed of Davis, EQ, and Exxon Valdez, and the solid route running of Kumerow Adams and Graham? They added a couple of wrinkles (jet sweep) but did they really go all out to incorporate the younger receivers into a scheme they could manage? Honestly, the Browns fired Hue Jackson and their OC, and put the receivers' coach in as OC and what did he do? He simplified the offense so everyone was on the same page. Maybe they only have 30 plays, but they run 'em pretty well, even with rookies and second year guys all over the place.

Oh, and after all that, MN does have a decent defense, especially at home. Kinda glossed over that one.
    Seems like in the last several games, no matter how they come out looking like they have a run game, or a threat of one, and mix-up plays well, it's like they are fighting themselves in the second half with a different approach that makes them easier to defend. As others have hinted, use the personnel you have to mix things up, keep people involved. I'm not sure if it's MM ignoring certain guys (MVS missing in action the last two weeks), Aaron Jones disappearing act in the second half (not his fault). A-Rod is so used to putting on his cape and rescuing the team, and also having more guys with whom he is on the same page.

I'm jealous of other teams that roll with the punches. Sure, New Orleans and LA Rams have some nice, experienced talent on offense, but New England doesn't have elite talent on offense at skill positions, but the find a way to make the offense function. To me, it can be about the talent level. In 2005 we had Samkon Gado at RB and Bill Schroeder at WR. We're better off than that, obviously, so why are they struggling so mightily? They appear to be fighting themselves concerning their approach instead of just taking what the defense gives them, but maybe the offense is not setup to be good at countering the opposing defense's approach. Either that or the Packers offensive approach is stubborn. The "we've got Aaron Rodgers" approach. The results of this year are reminding me of 2005, but I think the offense has way better talent at skill positions.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    The White Lightning (Billy S) didn’t play for the Packers in 2005. James Jones’ brutha Jamel did, though, along with Sackrell’s clone, Brady Poppinga.

My archenemy the Kentucky can confirm the aforementioned facts.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    This is true. This isn't even the equivalent WR corp to Nelson, Jones and Cobb in his younger days.

Still no functional TE attack.

And the O line is poor at pass blocking, especially at Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is true. This isn't even the equivalent WR corp to Nelson, Jones and Cobb in his younger days.

Still no functional TE attack.

And the O line is poor at pass blocking, especially at Guard.
    TT had great success drafting WR's in Round 2 and OL in Round 4-5, but then got away from it. Whether that was just the way the draft board fell, or an attempt to shore up the defense, the effects are now being felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    TT had great success drafting WR's in Round 2 and OL in Round 4-5, but then got away from it. Whether that was just the way the draft board fell, or an attempt to shore up the defense, the effects are now being felt.
    This is very true. TT continued to draft WRs and OL but it was round 5-7. There is usually a difference, maybe more red marks, against talent in the 6th round compared to the 2nd round. Same as the difference between 4th and 7th round talent. It was like he recognized the need for these positions, but had other, more pressing needs. Besides Adams, we suffer from not having any receivers on the team with that speed, moves, hands, and smarts combination or...they’re too young to have developed it. He drafted Spriggs in the 2nd but that really looks like a miss. Any 3 year or younger player is a free agent and appears to be a JAG or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    This is very true. TT continued to draft WRs and OL but it was round 5-7. There is usually a difference, maybe more red marks, against talent in the 6th round compared to the 2nd round. Same as the difference between 4th and 7th round talent. It was like he recognized the need for these positions, but had other, more pressing needs. Besides Adams, we suffer from not having any receivers on the team with that speed, moves, hands, and smarts combination or...they’re too young to have developed it. He drafted Spriggs in the 2nd but that really looks like a miss. Any 3 year or younger player is a free agent and appears to be a JAG or worse.

On the OL.