Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the roster makeover going to look like, who stays/goes??

What's the roster makeover going to look like, who stays/goes??

On defense you have to start at the LB position.

Gone for sure: Perry, Morrison, Ryan, the stopgap signees.

Should be gone: Matthews, Fackrell

DL was a serious disappointment this year. Only guys back for sure are Clark and Daniels.

-----------------------------------

On offense... have to rebuild the OL.

Back are Bacteria and Linsley.

Gone?? Pretty much everyone else will have to fight for a job.

Cobb is gone.

------------

That's a lot of cap space opened up... two 1st round picks, the rookies develop (Alexander, Jackson, the Wr's), sign some key FA's, give Rodgers some hope and turn him around...

I think we can turn it around fairly quickly.
    wist

We can. I think Fackrell is under contract and no reason to cut him.

On D we are going to need 1 starter at OLB. 1 starter at ILB. 1 starter at S (probably on the roster king/jackson) Resign wilkerson and cut brice so wilkerson stays healthy. That gives us 4 DL out of 5 (lowery stays).

On O we need another real WR. And as you said, 3/5 OL. I really believe they go WR/G/OLB with first 3 picks. Would need to nail all 3 to turn this around in one year. Tonyan might develop. Really need a RT.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Clark, Daniels, Lowery, and Adams should stay on the D Line. I doubt they bring back Wilkerson.

At OLB, Fackrell and Gilbert are decent and cheap. I think Matthews re-signs for a lot lower salary, but maybe not if somebody else overpays for him. Perry should be gone for sure.

At ILB, there's nothing wrong with Martinez if we can pair him up with somebody decent. I'd give Ryan another chance as a back up if he is cheap and healthy.

We have quality and quantity at Corner - King still is worth keeping, Jackson should still develop, Tony Brown gets at least a shot at staying. Breeland was good when he was healthy too.

Tramon has been decent at both Corner and Safety and I still think Josh Jones has shown enough to keep. Campbell has shown enough to be a decent back up and special teams player also.

On offense, I don't really like Kizer, but whatever - we're screwed with anybody but Rodgers anyway.

We could use a third RB.

Need another WR? Why? Even if Cobb is gone - and somebody undoubtedly will over pay him, I could Adams, MVS, St. Brown, Moore, Kumerow, and maybe Davis. One star right now, two very decent and improving, two with plenty of potential, and one quality kick returner. That's six. Any more and you cut somebody decent.

TE: I think they keep Graham although I guess he goes way up in cost so maybe not. Tonyan looks like a keeper. Kendrick might come back cheap but I doubt it, and Marcedes, who knows/who cares.

And then there's the O Line ....... we're finally gonna find out whether they really are lame-assed players or whether Campen was a shitty O Line coach. My guess, even though I don't like it, is that at least three or four will start opening day next season. Several fairly high draft picks will be there, but will start out as back ups.

Special teams: Crosby ought to be gone. What is it, $5.7 million he makes or something like that? A bunch of teams have picked up UDFAs who get a million or less and kick better than him. Scott I think stays and gets better.

Somebody said in one of these threads only 5 or 6 players on the whole team are worth keeping; That's just stupid - or at least hyperbole. We need some high quality - getting lucky for once with some draft picks - LB, Safety, O Line, etc. but not really much beyond that.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Clark, Daniels, Lowery, and Adams should stay on the D Line. I doubt they bring back Wilkerson.

At OLB, Fackrell and Gilbert are decent and cheap. I think Matthews re-signs for a lot lower salary, but maybe not if somebody else overpays for him. Perry should be gone for sure.

At ILB, there's nothing wrong with Martinez if we can pair him up with somebody decent. I'd give Ryan another chance as a back up if he is cheap and healthy.

We have quality and quantity at Corner - King still is worth keeping, Jackson should still develop, Tony Brown gets at least a shot at staying. Breeland was good when he was healthy too.

Tramon has been decent at both Corner and Safety and I still think Josh Jones has shown enough to keep. Campbell has shown enough to be a decent back up and special teams player also.

On offense, I don't really like Kizer, but whatever - we're screwed with anybody but Rodgers anyway.

We could use a third RB.

Need another WR? Why? Even if Cobb is gone - and somebody undoubtedly will over pay him, I could Adams, MVS, St. Brown, Moore, Kumerow, and maybe Davis. One star right now, two very decent and improving, two with plenty of potential, and one quality kick returner. That's six. Any more and you cut somebody decent.

TE: I think they keep Graham although I guess he goes way up in cost so maybe not. Tonyan looks like a keeper. Kendrick might come back cheap but I doubt it, and Marcedes, who knows/who cares.

And then there's the O Line ....... we're finally gonna find out whether they really are lame-assed players or whether Campen was a shitty O Line coach. My guess, even though I don't like it, is that at least three or four will start opening day next season. Several fairly high draft picks will be there, but will start out as back ups.

Special teams: Crosby ought to be gone. What is it, $5.7 million he makes or something like that? A bunch of teams have picked up UDFAs who get a million or less and kick better than him. Scott I think stays and gets better.

Somebody said in one of these threads only 5 or 6 players on the whole team are worth keeping; That's just stupid - or at least hyperbole. We need some high quality - getting lucky for once with some draft picks - LB, Safety, O Line, etc. but not really much beyond that.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    It was me and that isn't what I said but no surprise from you.

I said there were 5-6 locks on the team next year. ARod, Adams, Bakh, Linsley, Clark, Alexander, the punter.

I also said 35-40 of the players will be back next year. Not a big surprise if turn over 25% of our roster that is only 13 players. I would expect maybe slightly higher this year. If I count correctly we have 23 players on our roster that weren't on the roster last year.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I wonder if changing the LB coach (Moss) will change the look of the linebackers?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    QB: Aaron "The Coach Killer" Rodgers, Kizer
    RB: Jones, Williams, draftee or free agent
    WR: Adams, Valdez-Scantling, St. Brown, Moore, Kumerow, draftee free agent
    TE: Graham, Tonyan Draftee free agent
    OL: Linsley, Bakhtiari, Taylor draftees, free agents

DL: Daniels, Clark, Lowery, Adams, draftee or FA
    ILB: Martinez, Burks Draftees, free agents
    OLB: Fackrell, Gilbert, Draftees, Free agents
    DBs Josh Jones, Jackson, King, Alexander, Draftees, free agents

The defensive backfield was overhauled over the past two years but there is now a significant hole at the safety position. The Packers will also have a hole at outside linebacker with a serious lack of depth and playmakers. Inside linebacker is also very lean. The Packers will have to spend or draft to fix. The Packers are in decent shape along the defensive line. The real hole on this team is on the offensive line. Bulaga has nothing left. His legs are shot. Spriggs has been a complete disappointment and should be cut. The Packers have gotten very little from Taylor and Bell, and McCray. the other issue is Bakthairi, he is never healthy and also has leg problems, constantly. The Packers misses at the offensive line position in the previous drafts are coming back to hunt them.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    We can. I think Fackrell is under contract and no reason to cut him.

On D we are going to need 1 starter at OLB. 1 starter at ILB. 1 starter at S (probably on the roster king/jackson) Resign wilkerson and cut brice so wilkerson stays healthy. That gives us 4 DL out of 5 (lowery stays).

On O we need another real WR. And as you said, 3/5 OL. I really believe they go WR/G/OLB with first 3 picks. Would need to nail all 3 to turn this around in one year. Tonyan might develop. Really need a RT.
    Good thoughts.

We need a very serious Pass Rush.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Good thoughts.

We need a very serious Pass Rush.
    Tom Coughlin smiled.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    On defense you have to start at the LB position.

Gone for sure: Perry, Morrison, Ryan, the stopgap signees.

Should be gone: Matthews, Fackrell

DL was a serious disappointment this year. Only guys back for sure are Clark and Daniels.

-----------------------------------

On offense... have to rebuild the OL.

Back are Bacteria and Linsley.

Gone?? Pretty much everyone else will have to fight for a job.

Cobb is gone.

------------

That's a lot of cap space opened up... two 1st round picks, the rookies develop (Alexander, Jackson, the Wr's), sign some key FA's, give Rodgers some hope and turn him around...

I think we can turn it around fairly quickly.
    Look at the Bears. 2017 worst in NFC North, 2018 are in first place looking good, save for Chase Daniel having to play.

My hope is that they can fix what ails the O-line, or bring in some concepts that allow Rodgers to get the ball out more quickly. We also need to use Jones way more than MM did.

The defense needs a make-over. There are going to be a lot of holes to fill as you mentioned.

The thing I'm most hopeful of is that BG can acquire more talent via free agency to fill some of these holes, and hopefully find enough impact players to fit under the cap to help while developing the next wave of young talent. They just have to be the right impact players at the right cap number. This year, obviously, they still had a lot of rookies to bring along at DB and WR, plus all the injuries and personnel changes at safety. Earl Thomas would look nice in Green and Gold and could be the second coming of Woodson for the Packers, if he's healthy enough.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post

The defensive backfield was overhauled over the past two years but there is now a significant hole at the safety position. The Packers will also have a hole at outside linebacker with a serious lack of depth and playmakers. Inside linebacker is also very lean. The Packers will have to spend or draft to fix. The Packers are in decent shape along the defensive line. The real hole on this team is on the offensive line. Bulaga has nothing left. His legs are shot. Spriggs has been a complete disappointment and should be cut. The Packers have gotten very little from Taylor and Bell, and McCray. the other issue is Bakthairi, he is never healthy and also has leg problems, constantly. The Packers misses at the offensive line position in the previous drafts are coming back to hunt them.
    That's a lot of "draftees, free agents", but I agree... Ted's drafts the past few years have been abysmal, and set the team back considerably.

Will have to look ahead at who is going to hit the FA market... what might make sense for targets to sign. Can't fill all the holes, but with a Grade A off season, I think we can get back to respectability pretty quickly.

I really want to see Gute focus on improving the LB Corp. If Fackrell is starting next year, we're in big trouble again. On offense, besides the OL, I would like to see a "scatback" Tarik Cohen type of RB added to the roster.

Beyond the new look roster, everything will depend on who Gute taps to be head coach... he needs to hit a homerun... and I think we're all in agreement that guy needs to be an offensive innovator.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I wonder if changing the LB coach (Moss) will change the look of the linebackers?
    Good thought. What has become of Winston? At one point he looked to be fast tracking to something bigger and better.

The LB position is the one position that I think you have to give a pass to the position coaches, b/c the talent simply isn't there.

Unless of course Moss was party to the selecting of that substandard talent.

This is one area I think Gute needs to look very closely at, i.e. how scouts in the organization graded players we picked that are poor players, and how they graded players picked by other teams that turned out to be good players.

It is self scouting and evaluating your process that should be happening every year.
    wist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post

That's a decent cut at the roster. Lane Taylor, Mike Daniels, & other players regressed this season. I'd like to see the "new" coaching staff coach some guys up this next year. I know Bulaga is a wreck, but we've had nothing to replace him. McCray has a little potential, but he has also been non productive. We will need to prime the pump with some vet FA's that can turn around the OLine and provide depth on the DLine.

Did a little looking at the FA LB/Edge guys...

CJ Mosley, Lawrence (Dallas), Clowney, Anthony Barr top the list. Didn't look to be much OL talent out there, then again I've been too busy to keep up. I agree we need to move on from Crosby too.

We should be picking somewhere around 10, and NO pick will be around 30.
    wist

Blog Entries

CJ Mosley, Lawrence (Dallas), Clowney, Anthony Barr top the list. Didn't look to be much OL talent out there, then again I've been too busy to keep up. I agree we need to move on from Crosby too.

Unlikely the Ravens are letting CJ Mosley go; letting talent like that slide away when it's starting in your face would be like......Not Drafting TJ Watt )))))

Pass rushers will be hard to come by.

I think they could and really should focus on using FA to find at least one starter on the OL

I'd also be game to go with numbers at LB; we need to get some speed, athletic ability and talent there
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries

WHY in the H would we move on from Crosby; he's one of the few reliable players we still have. Let's not create another hole in our roster. Plus you should love him; he helped get rid of your buddy MM ...lol
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I'd like to see Anthony Barr here. He's been miscast in the Vikings scheme.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    completely agree on Barr; he'd be a great fit in GB

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    WHY in the H would we move on from Crosby; he's one of the few reliable players we still have. Let's not create another hole in our roster. Plus you should love him; he helped get rid of your buddy MM ...lol
    That's some pretty convoluted logic there B... and for the record, I was one of the last to jump onboard the fire MM bandwagon. Disappointed that it had to come to that, but the writing was on the wall. It was time.

I'm more hopeful now that he's gone... as you know, I'm always hopeful and optimistic - now I'm even more hopeful
    wist