Thread: Official 2019 Soccer/Futbol Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Joe, many of us are not soccer fans, but apparently you are. Did you come to America from Europe or S. America where it is more popular? It is a fine sport with great athletes (men/women). It certainly requires skill and stamina. Also sometimes it is even possible to see where planned and practiced plays are employed. For me I see a large game of keepaway with the occasional drama the rare goal is scored.

I can maybe understand the popularity of soccer if you come from most of the planet and the availability of sports facilities are low. A simple ball can be played with by just one or more and for most just requires a piece of open ground. To me it is a poor mans sport. Yes I'm aware that Europe and Asia's wealthy support it as well, but for me it holds no more fascination than Basketball or Hockey do.

Why do you support soccer and what do you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    Joe, many of us are not soccer fans, but apparently you are. Did you come to America from Europe or S. America where it is more popular? It is a fine sport with great athletes (men/women). It certainly requires skill and stamina. Also sometimes it is even possible to see where planned and practiced plays are employed. For me I see a large game of keepaway with the occasional drama the rare goal is scored.

I can maybe understand the popularity of soccer if you come from most of the planet and the availability of sports facilities are low. A simple ball can be played with by just one or more and for most just requires a piece of open ground. To me it is a poor mans sport. Yes I'm aware that Europe and Asia's wealthy support it as well, but for me it holds no more fascination than Basketball or Hockey do.

Why do you support soccer and what do you like about it?
    We played soccer as kids as well as other sports. I started watching it on TV because I loved the drama of the Men's World Cup. I prefer the international games more than the club games, although I do watch the Premier League some. I like the non-stop aspect of soccer. Other than for injuries, the game doesn't stop except for halftime. I'm a life-long hockey fan, and although the 2 sports are very different in terms of speed and size of the playing surface, conceptually they have a lot in common.