Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Off The Grill !

Thumbs up Hot Off The Grill !

Many of us enjoy grilling our meals. Some prefer the classic Charcoal grill and are masters at it. Others use the more modern Propane grills. Still others use a smoker and slow cook wonderful tasty treats. As for me, I use a small propane grill with small quantities. I have family / friends that have/use all those mentioned at various times. What is your choice?

We mostly know that simply placing steak or chicken on a hot grill is the basic technique, however many of us marinate ahead of time, or rub a special spice on before cooking. Some have spent years perfecting a Bar-B-Q sauce or some special condiment to give their work that final special touch

Hamburger can be a whole chapter, but let's just say that many have developed a special recipe that may be mixing spices or onions or peppers into the meat before it is grilled.

From Brats to Chicken to Steak to Fish, grilled food is always special and should not just be confined to meats. Vegetables like Potatoes, Onions, Carrots, and Tomatoes are only a few of the items that grillers make regularly. O and let's not forget things like Baked Beans or toasting our Hamburger/Hot Dog Rolls.

Are you a grill master? Would you share your knowledge? Recipes, grilling techniques, past grilling triumphs are all welcome in this thread.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    shish kebab!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Cooking, indoors or outdoors, is an honored skill that deserves recognition. Some can barely grill a hot dog, while others can Bar-B-Q a Beef Brisket that people would fight over. My brother blends several brands of Barbeque sauces together to create special sauce that works particularly well for grilling chicken. Some like to marinate their poultry or beef for up to 24 hours prier to cooking. Most grocery stores carry a large selection of sauces and marinades.

One of my favorite meals starts by marinating cubed steak or lean beef kabobs overnight in Italian Salad Dressing. The next day divide into meal size portions along with red potatoes, onion, carrots, corn on the cob (1/2 ear per portion), and tomato. Carefully enclose each portion in heavy aluminum foil along with some salt/pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place portions on low to medium heat grill and after 20 minutes turn them all over for another 20 to 30 minutes. Cooking time will vary with the size of items being cooked. Next, pull one portion to the side, open, and test for desired tenderness/meat color. Cook more time if necessary. When ready serve each with some fresh baked bread and real butter.

You see, sharing is not that difficult. Do you have a great Rib or Fish grilling style? Share it here !

Grilled chicken feet. Cook em into oblivion, the kids will think they're eating pulled pork.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Grilled chicken feet. Cook em into oblivion, the kids will think they're eating pulled pork.
    ew
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

We can always save the part that went over the fence last for you, it should match well with you.

I just can't believe that I'm the only member that has grilled Ribs, or hovered over a steak to ensure that it is just right. I'll be having slow grilled Pork Chops tonight, with potato salad, grilled Corn on the Cob, and cubed Watermelon. It is not that difficult if you just think and plan ahead.

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

As they say, a watched steak never broils. My favorite grilling moment is the scene in Village of the Damned (the John Carpenter remake from the mid 90s) when the town picnickers get overrun by the invading evil force.

As they say, a watched steak never broils. My favorite grilling moment is the scene in Village of the Damned (the John Carpenter remake from the mid 90s) when the town picnickers get overrun by the invading evil force.
    The Walking Dead, graphicly staged bloody videos, and such are neither funny or cool. Don't get me wrong, I like the Trolls and Goblins in Peter Jackson's Middle Earth films, yet at the same time his depiction of the characters being attacked by enormous bugs in his King Kong film, for me, crosses the line of good tate. The propagation of such material only makes me sad as I see it undercutting what used to be a foundation of solid good taste that would not cross the line into the gutter. Now, such trash is everyday normal and people like yourself see it as cool and exciting.

If you are capable of posting a comment about cooking or grilling that is readable, I'd be pleased to read it. Do you have any skills beyond those you have already put on display? Can you cook your own food or do you still depend on others to do that for you ?

How many put salt and pepper on their steak before they grill it. Perhaps even a seasoning like "Montreal Steak" gets shaken onto your steak as well. Allow me to advise some of you a method that will work better. Clean the meat using tap water, but be sure to dry it with a paper towel. Next, coat the meat with olive oil on all surfaces. The oil grabs and holds the salt, pepper, and seasonings better and also helps to seal in more of the natural flavor of the meat as you grill. Cooking times will vary from one grill to the next, but rare - medium - well done are easy if you are careful.

Some of us also like sauteed onions along with our steak. If your grill surface is large enough, use a cast iron skillet to fry those chopped onions in butter as the steaks cook. A tasty treat to go with that juicy hot steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    The Walking Dead, graphicly staged bloody videos, and such are neither funny or cool. Don't get me wrong, I like the Trolls and Goblins in Peter Jackson's Middle Earth films, yet at the same time his depiction of the characters being attacked by enormous bugs in his King Kong film, for me, crosses the line of good tate. The propagation of such material only makes me sad as I see it undercutting what used to be a foundation of solid good taste that would not cross the line into the gutter. Now, such trash is everyday normal and people like yourself see it as cool and exciting.

If you are capable of posting a comment about cooking or grilling that is readable, I'd be pleased to read it. Do you have any skills beyond those you have already put on display? Can you cook your own food or do you still depend on others to do that for you ?
    De gustibus non est disputandum.

Hot Dogs

How many put salt and pepper on their steak before they grill it. Perhaps even a seasoning like "Montreal Steak" gets shaken onto your steak as well. Allow me to advise some of you a method that will work better. Clean the meat using tap water, but be sure to dry it with a paper towel. Next, coat the meat with olive oil on all surfaces. The oil grabs and holds the salt, pepper, and seasonings better and also helps to seal in more of the natural flavor of the meat as you grill. Cooking times will vary from one grill to the next, but rare - medium - well done are easy if you are careful.

Some of us also like sauteed onions along with our steak. If your grill surface is large enough, use a cast iron skillet to fry those chopped onions in butter as the steaks cook. A tasty treat to go with that juicy hot steak.
    Oil prevents salt from doing its thing. Salt the meat at least 45 minutes before cooking to give it time to penetrate, draw out the juices and convert to brine, and then reabsorb. Otherwise you're just grilling a piece of slime.

Washing meat before cooking might be ok for red, but for chicken it will just generate a fine e coli mist in your kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Hot Dogs
    That'll get you in the HOF!

So on this weeks grill,
    Monday - Lamb Chops marinated 2 days in oil, lime, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, pressed garlic. Then added some montreal steak spice while grilling. My oldest made her heart attack mashed potatoes and I char grilled some onions and some pepper.
    Tuesday - Chicken breasts - marinated since morning in kraft zesty italian, montreal chicken spice, oregano and grated lemon rhine. Chopped into 1/2" cubes then mixed with black eyed peas that had butter onions and dill, peaches and cream corn, peppers and mushrooms. once it was all cooked i added diced cherry tomatoes and then served over rice. First time all of my kids liked eating black eyed peas.
    Wednesday - eye of round medallions, marinated in a can of bud cheladas with some montreal steak spice and montreal korean bbq spice. Of the 3 this was the worst meal, but still dam good. Had mixed vegetables from a bag and a garden salad my wife pulled from the garden. We had a bad drought until 2 weeks ago, the only things growing worth a dam are radishes, lettuce and onions. Never had better onions than this year.

All of the lamb and chicken is our own. The beef is my father in laws. It was about a 3000 lbs beef, stupid huge and a pain in the ass. I have never had so much trouble getting a cow in the loading chute. I enjoy every meal a little more thanks to the added spice.

Radagast, do you by chance have a relative named Woodbuck?

I salute all of you that have posted to this thread. I've never eaten much lamb though, not high on the grocery list in my area. Perhaps I'll try some soon.

Let's try this.

What is your favorite cheese to melt on your hamburger?

Do you have a favorite table condiment?

What is your favorite way to eat potatoes?

What is your favorite part of the chicken?

What is your favorite fish to grill?

Beyond hamburger, what is your favorite cut of beef to grill?

Has anyone ever grilled wild game? Deer, Duck, or any other wild game?

Grilling vegetables, do you have a favorite?

Do you have a favorite side dish? Some like mellon and some like pasta or rice, what do you like?

Oil prevents salt from doing its thing. Salt the meat at least 45 minutes before cooking to give it time to penetrate, draw out the juices and convert to brine, and then reabsorb. Otherwise you're just grilling a piece of slime.

Washing meat before cooking might be ok for red, but for chicken it will just generate a fine e coli mist in your kitchen.
    I hope that none of you are believing any of this. Every steak grilling authority says to clean, dry, oil , then salt/pepper /season. 20 minutes is usually the normal grilling time.

As for chicken, not cleaning before cooking is the easiest way to court disaster. The next is undercooking your meats. Poultry needs to reach a minimum of 165* F to kill off potential bad food poisoning toxins.

hoosier, did you not learn to wash your hands (with soap) following every lavatory visit, or are you that nasty fellow people avoid in public.

I hope that none of you are believing any of this. Every steak grilling authority says to clean, dry, oil , then salt/pepper /season. 20 minutes is usually the normal grilling time.

As for chicken, not cleaning before cooking is the easiest way to court disaster. The next is undercooking your meats. Poultry needs to reach a minimum of 165* F to kill off potential bad food poisoning toxins.

hoosier, did you not learn to wash your hands (with soap) following every lavatory visit, or are you that nasty fellow people avoid in public.
    I've always gone with the theory posted here https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/...ct-steaks.html

If I'm going to grill the steak in less than an hour, I season right before going on the grill. If I have time, I prefer to salt and rest for 2+ hours
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

I salute all of you that have posted to this thread. I've never eaten much lamb though, not high on the grocery list in my area. Perhaps I'll try some soon.

Let's try this.

What is your favorite cheese to melt on your hamburger?

Do you have a favorite table condiment?

What is your favorite way to eat potatoes?

What is your favorite part of the chicken?

What is your favorite fish to grill?

Beyond hamburger, what is your favorite cut of beef to grill?

Has anyone ever grilled wild game? Deer, Duck, or any other wild game?

Grilling vegetables, do you have a favorite?

Do you have a favorite side dish? Some like mellon and some like pasta or rice, what do you like?
    in order
    no favorite
    don`t have a favorite either, but for store bought marinades, https://msita.com/product/mama-sitas-barbecue-marinade/
    dude, still no favorite depends what Im eating
    thigh,
    salmon
    flank
    moose by a mile, better than anything in the world imo
    corn on the cob
    right now that bean thing i wrote about just above, but long standing in our house hold is basically a taco salad that you add a meat to if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    in order
    no favorite
    don`t have a favorite either, but for store bought marinades, https://msita.com/product/mama-sitas-barbecue-marinade/
    dude, still no favorite depends what Im eating
    thigh,
    salmon
    flank
    moose by a mile, better than anything in the world imo
    corn on the cob
    right now that bean thing i wrote about just above, but long standing in our house hold is basically a taco salad that you add a meat to if you want.
    Living in Virginia as I do, I've never tried Moose or Alligator or Beaver or Bear, but I'd welcome the opportunity. I've seen Beefalo in a store before, but the timing was not right to buy some. I will be talking with my brother about grilling some Mahi-mahi this Sunday if he can.

I love Taco Salad. Chicken or Seasoned ground Beef suits me just fine. For me, sour cream is a must have ingredient along with all of the other salad fixings. Have you ever used grilled fish as the Taco Salad meat? Selecting a fish type would need to fit (taste wise) with the rest of the salad though. I would go with a White Fish or Pollock that would not overpower the other taste included in the meal.

I look forward to your next post. Perhaps a good game day buffet idea as fall draws near.