Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Off The Grill !

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I've always gone with the theory posted here https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/...ct-steaks.html

If I'm going to grill the steak in less than an hour, I season right before going on the grill. If I have time, I prefer to salt and rest for 2+ hours
    Excellent site and I agree with you on the salting. I love this site: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-steaks-recipe. The 2 zone cooking and reverse searing works fantastically.

Big fan of Amazing Ribs website overall. Great science behind why they do what they do and recommend.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I've always gone with the theory posted here https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/...ct-steaks.html

If I'm going to grill the steak in less than an hour, I season right before going on the grill. If I have time, I prefer to salt and rest for 2+ hours
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Excellent site and I agree with you on the salting. I love this site: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-steaks-recipe. The 2 zone cooking and reverse searing works fantastically.

Big fan of Amazing Ribs website overall. Great science behind why they do what they do and recommend.
    I agree. I try to plan ahead enough that I salt the night before. I have always followed many of the suggestions from The Food Lab/Serious Eats. I especially like his prime rib roast recipe, with jus from braised oxtail and veal bonus in red wine.

I have recently gotten into doing my own dry aging. Did 20 day, then 40 day rib eyes. Big difference, 40 day were much better. I grilled some on my ceramic grill at about 700 degrees, which I really liked because I enjoy rare-ish interior, but a crusty outer sear. Others I cooked in a sous vide bath at 128 degrees, then flash seared in a cast iron skillet. These were Mrs. Patler's favorite.

As for grilling generally, I cook anything on the grill that I cook in the kitchen, including whole turkeys at Thanksgiving. I really like scallops on the grill, but finding good scallops in WI is not always easy. Did three racks of ribs last weekend, which is a lot for the two of us, but I have a vacuum sealer, so two went right into the freezer in smaller packages for quick, effortless meals in the future. I often do the same with pork butts for pulled pork. If I set up the grill and my time for a long slow cook like that, I load it up!

I'm not big into marinades, but do use some on occasion. Usually I just make up something that sounds good to me at the time. I do use dry rubs for ribs and butts, but usually make them myself.

Patler, I’ve been too chicken to dry my own dry aging. Do you have a recipe/instructions you’ve followed? Also 40 days in the fridge still freaks me out, but the one 30 day aged steak I had at a steak house was amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Patler, I’ve been too chicken to dry my own dry aging. Do you have a recipe/instructions you’ve followed? Also 40 days in the fridge still freaks me out, but the one 30 day aged steak I had at a steak house was amazing.
    I use special bags from Umai:

https://umaidry.com/

It's pretty simple. Vacuum seal the meat in the bag, and let it sit in your frig with adequate circulation all around it, including underneath. The material of the bag has selective unidirectional permeability, so moisture leaves the meat and oxygen goes in. At 20 days, my meat had lost about 15% weight, at 40 days it was around 20%. That was consistent with what the website taught. The flavor gets deeper the longer you age. They say tenderizing is insignificant until after 20 days, and my 40 day steaks were much more tender than the 20 day. There is some waste, as the meat develops a hard, waxing skin that most people trim away.

My experience is limited to one 20 lb prime rib that I halved and bagged separately. One I cut one into steaks at 20 days, the other at 40 days. So far, I am a big fan of the process. I will do more.
    Last edited by Patler; 06-28-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Great info. Thanks much Patler. I'll give it a try sometime and report back.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Ditto on that Patler.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

I love grilling and serious eats. Dry aging is next level though. Sounds super interesting. I've never had a steak done that way before. Would love to try when our basement fridge isn't stuffed to the gills with gallons of milk lol.

I have been getting my steaks at Costco lately and I must say they are far superior to what we'd get from our other local grocery stores (Pick n save). My wife can't handle Rib eye without an upset stomach so we normally go for New York Strip and they're fantastic. I've been making this garlic-parmesan topping that I learned about from Butler Inn in Pewaukee and it's really quite delicious.

I like to boil water in a kettle on my Webber grill and then throw my hot dogs in them. I have found 9 minutes is perfect; everyone is satisfied.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
    I like to boil water in a kettle on my Webber grill and then throw my hot dogs in them. I have found 9 minutes is perfect; everyone is satisfied.
    Wow, what a WEENIE !

9 minutes per for each and you satisfy everyone?

When in Canada, it’s about 12 minutes because of the exchange rate
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    As for chicken, not cleaning before cooking is the easiest way to court disaster. The next is undercooking your meats. Poultry needs to reach a minimum of 165* F to kill off potential bad food poisoning toxins.
    I always wash my chicken with a power wash with a number 3 nozzle. Just put it on an old screen window so it doesn't blow down the street.

If you clean the old fashioned way, remember to wear your jewelry

Last edited by mraynrand; 06-28-2019 at 08:10 PM.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Great info. Thanks much Patler. I'll give it a try sometime and report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Ditto on that Patler.
    I'll be interested in getting your impressions.

The guy from Ballistic BBQ has done a lot of Youtube videos on using the Umai Dry bags. He is very thorough on the recommended techniques to ensure success. He did bone-in and boneless prime ribs, 30 and 60 day briskets and others. He shows and explains different techniques to use if you don't have a vacuum sealer, if you have cryovac packaged meat or "dry" open meat from a butcher counter, covering bone ends so they don't puncture the bag, etc. He explains everything quite thoroughly from initial prep through final cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    If you clean the old fashioned way, remember to wear your jewelry

She sure doesn't seem too concerned about cross-contamination. I'm sure nothing hangs out in that ring of hers!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I always wash my chicken with a power wash with a number 3 nozzle. Just put it on an old screen window so it doesn't blow down the street.
    Rather than using your power washer, may I suggest using the top rack of your dishwasher, or your clothes washing machine on gentle cycle? Not as much setup as the power washer and window screen.
    Last edited by Patler; 06-29-2019 at 10:05 AM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Rather than using your power washer, may I suggest using the top rack of your dishwasher, or your clothes washing machine on gentle cycle? Not as much setup as the power washer and window screen.
    that's how I cook my turkey. safer than a boiling oil bath.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Had to clean the grill today. Used a pressure washer to clean all of the cast iron grates. Would highly recommend. Looks like a brand new freaking grill.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Had to clean the grill today. Used a pressure washer to clean all of the cast iron grates. Would highly recommend. Looks like a brand new freaking grill.
    Good work!
    Was that intended for immediate use or are you wisely getting prepared for the 4th of July?

Looking for some burger ideas. Mixing minced onion/and or finely chopped Bell Pepper is great with salt/pepper, but does anyone do a special burger that we may not all know. Moose Burgers or Deer Burgers or perhaps some exotic ingredient that mixes well with high quality Ground Beef, all good ideas are most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    Looking for some burger ideas. Mixing minced onion/and or finely chopped Bell Pepper is great with salt/pepper, but does anyone do a special burger that we may not all know. Moose Burgers or Deer Burgers or perhaps some exotic ingredient that mixes well with high quality Ground Beef, all good ideas are most welcome.
    When I want something better for burgers, I grind my own. As for additives, most often I keep it simple: salt & pepper always, garlic powder most of the time, fresh minced garlic and chopped jalapenos only for those who want it when I feel like "special orders". Occasionally, I sprinkle in some Worcester sauce or soy sauce. I work more on getting the meat I want than what I add to it.

Years ago, I would add a lot of things to the meat mixture, like onion, egg, bread crumbs, a dash ketchup, etc. Then, I realized I was basically making a meatloaf burger, and decided to emphasize more the meat flavor itself. Now I just provide lots of options for guests to put things on their burgers, rather than putting things into everyones' burgers..
    Last edited by Patler; 06-30-2019 at 08:35 PM.

50/50 burger. Half ground beef, half ground bacon. Thank me later.

Love that Bacon !

Here's a time tested and proven winner.

Add 1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix to 1 or 2 lbs of your favorite hamburger. Mix thoroughly before you prepare your hamburger patties. Salt/pepper as you desire and cook as normal. Melt on cheese if desired before they leave the grill. Along with your standard condiments, supply bacon for those that like it (and most will). The dry soup mix adds a wonderful flavor. Also, you could have a few unseasoned patties for those that prefer it that way.

For such a feast I like Baked Beans, Mixed Fruit Salad, Lays Potato Chips, and lots of assorted beverages. A desert might be Ice Cream or a Cream Pie or perhaps a freshly baked Cake.